Air Force Flight Surgeon's life is nice but what's next?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hrycian

Beast 469
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings to all!
So here I am nearing an end of the third year of the FS tour on the HPSP with the Air Force. Those who care to dig through my early posts will see that it was off a stormy start. But frankly, I have little sense of shame for not being a top IQ scorer or USUHS grad. From a humble army medic I clawed my way into the med school and (although not without trauma) through them steps. When I got news of a deferred transitional year and a GMO tour to follow I was terrified. Thought this was a dead end. To those of you who have received that "sentence" I say: relax! Of course, this is personality dependent, but I found flight med to be rather rewarding experience.
First of all, OMT skills picked up at the DO school apparently are a valuable enough commodity in the world of zippered up gods otherwise known as pilots. Oh yes, as weird as it sounds to the non flying folk, pilots and load masters prefer FPR and HVLA adjustment to Flexeril and all them other things that will take away their flying status. Second, at least in my current location I got a chance to engage in practice long lost in US medicine: house visits. Aviators are a clandestine bunch, because almost anything in their health record can cause "wing clipping incident". At the same time they are much more talkative at the squadron rather than inside the doctor's cubicle. Yes, I often do get weird knocks on the door from the neighbors or end up going weird places at the weird hour, but it actually is more flattering than imposing. Third, the learning continues... in a weird way. The primary care and some specialty clinics are overfilled and overburdened, while here at the flight med those empaneled have an easy access for themselves and their families. More than once I had to run across the street to get a help from an "adult", but repetition becomes knowledge and I have picked up a few things that keep me afloat more and more. Yes, there are tasks that I hate with passion: long boring meetings, even longer and often useless waivers and preventive med stuff. But overall, life is good and rewarding.
So what is there to worry about?
The future of course. Time comes to grow up and get a residency which will become a meal ticket after retirement (I got 9 years till hitting 20).
Few things I would hate to do: sell myself too cheap or end up doing something unrewarding with no way out (although pretty much every mousetrap got holes in it)
A year of IM floors made me paranoid of that department: everyone is gloomy, overly cynical overworked crowd whose patients end up dying no matter what they do. Surgery is cool, but back in the days I received an "Arabic flying lesson" and as a result cannot stand on my feet over an hour without blinding pain in the spine. Plus, I'm a sensitive person and may have difficulty keeping a crowbar away from an ear of an arrogant bastard who likes humiliating residents, just because it was done to him and countless creatures before him.
For a moment I considered psychiatry. It was head issues grad studies that gave me idea of the med school in the first place. Weirdly enough I cannot find any psychiatrists around that are not incredibly weird or catatonic and are willing to discuss the clockworks of their trade.
While in medical school I was pretty good in pathology. Recently started hanging out with our path people. They are incredibly nice crowd but there is some sense of insecurity connected to the job market and fellowship issues. Not to mention theirs is one of the hardest boards in medicine and I'm not exactly an academic genius (having English as not even a second, but more like a fourth language does not help here). Being used to direct patient care and a prospect of loosing clinic seems kind of odd too.
Family Practice... tempting, after all that's what it seems like I'm doing now under totally inadequate qualifications. I even applied once for one program location, but got rejected. The voice behind the wall told me that they got scared that it's location and not the specialty that I'm after. Which was not completely untrue at the moment as I got a kid who is about to graduate high school on gazillion of state scholarships. That option would go to the poop house if I PCSed out and dragged him along. Finally, here I am with all the extra goodies of prior service, publishing and schools, so do I really want to fall into the "flight surgeons deserve FPC and nothing else" stigma?
Emergency Med? Not taking your patients home is one glowing plus. But I came in as enlisted in Clinton days and ended up working daily 19 hour shifts in ED where the staffing was halved at best for about two years developing a form of an idiosyncratic reaction to the place. Nevertheless, Iraq was lots of fun (not counting those poor souls that didn't make it). But the hurry up principle of the job does make me feel uneasy. I also really hate it when people die in my hands.
Peds? that's about the only specialty that I didn't play around with. Although it was swell in med school and very rewarding in Internship. Don't get too many kids in flight med, mainly sports physicals. I guess kids are like pilots: dangerously curious, often fussy and usually healthy, but if they get sick, they are really sick.
All them crème de crop specialties like ophthalmology or derm, I haven't bothered considering out of the realities: there are boys and girls geniuses with top scores and charming smiles fighting for them every day, while I am a gloomy old GMO with an accent and terrible interview skills who barely passed his steps.
Oh... finally RAM is cool too, but I'm really uneasy with becoming and admin officer and as mentioned above preventive med is not exactly my bowl of chili.
So, thank you very much to those who read this long ranting to the end. I am now asking for an advice applicable to the future course steerings / choosings. Any input not counting frank trolling is appreciated and potentially rewardable by a ride in cool helicopter over the beach... hey, you never know.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Greetings to all!
So here I am nearing an end of the third year of the FS tour on the HPSP with the Air Force. Those who care to dig through my early posts will see that it was off a stormy start. But frankly, I have little sense of shame for not being a top IQ scorer or USUHS grad. From a humble army medic I clawed my way into the med school and (although not without trauma) through them steps. When I got news of a deferred transitional year and a GMO tour to follow I was terrified. Thought this was a dead end. To those of you who have received that "sentence" I say: relax! Of course, this is personality dependent, but I found flight med to be rather rewarding experience.
First of all, OMT skills picked up at the DO school apparently are a valuable enough commodity in the world of zippered up gods otherwise known as pilots. Oh yes, as weird as it sounds to the non flying folk, pilots and load masters prefer FPR and HVLA adjustment to Flexeril and all them other things that will take away their flying status. Second, at least in my current location I got a chance to engage in practice long lost in US medicine: house visits. Aviators are a clandestine bunch, because almost anything in their health record can cause "wing clipping incident". At the same time they are much more talkative at the squadron rather than inside the doctor's cubicle. Yes, I often do get weird knocks on the door from the neighbors or end up going weird places at the weird hour, but it actually is more flattering than imposing. Third, the learning continues... in a weird way. The primary care and some specialty clinics are overfilled and overburdened, while here at the flight med those empaneled have an easy access for themselves and their families. More than once I had to run across the street to get a help from an "adult", but repetition becomes knowledge and I have picked up a few things that keep me afloat more and more. Yes, there are tasks that I hate with passion: long boring meetings, even longer and often useless waivers and preventive med stuff. But overall, life is good and rewarding.
So what is there to worry about?
The future of course. Time comes to grow up and get a residency which will become a meal ticket after retirement (I got 9 years till hitting 20).
Few things I would hate to do: sell myself too cheap or end up doing something unrewarding with no way out (although pretty much every mousetrap got holes in it)
A year of IM floors made me paranoid of that department: everyone is gloomy, overly cynical overworked crowd whose patients end up dying no matter what they do. Surgery is cool, but back in the days I received an "Arabic flying lesson" and as a result cannot stand on my feet over an hour without blinding pain in the spine. Plus, I'm a sensitive person and may have difficulty keeping a crowbar away from an ear of an arrogant bastard who likes humiliating residents, just because it was done to him and countless creatures before him.
For a moment I considered psychiatry. It was head issues grad studies that gave me idea of the med school in the first place. Weirdly enough I cannot find any psychiatrists around that are not incredibly weird or catatonic and are willing to discuss the clockworks of their trade.
While in medical school I was pretty good in pathology. Recently started hanging out with our path people. They are incredibly nice crowd but there is some sense of insecurity connected to the job market and fellowship issues. Not to mention theirs is one of the hardest boards in medicine and I'm not exactly an academic genius (having English as not even a second, but more like a fourth language does not help here). Being used to direct patient care and a prospect of loosing clinic seems kind of odd too.
Family Practice... tempting, after all that's what it seems like I'm doing now under totally inadequate qualifications. I even applied once for one program location, but got rejected. The voice behind the wall told me that they got scared that it's location and not the specialty that I'm after. Which was not completely untrue at the moment as I got a kid who is about to graduate high school on gazillion of state scholarships. That option would go to the poop house if I PCSed out and dragged him along. Finally, here I am with all the extra goodies of prior service, publishing and schools, so do I really want to fall into the "flight surgeons deserve FPC and nothing else" stigma?
Emergency Med? Not taking your patients home is one glowing plus. But I came in as enlisted in Clinton days and ended up working daily 19 hour shifts in ED where the staffing was halved at best for about two years developing a form of an idiosyncratic reaction to the place. Nevertheless, Iraq was lots of fun (not counting those poor souls that didn't make it). But the hurry up principle of the job does make me feel uneasy. I also really hate it when people die in my hands.
Peds? that's about the only specialty that I didn't play around with. Although it was swell in med school and very rewarding in Internship. Don't get too many kids in flight med, mainly sports physicals. I guess kids are like pilots: dangerously curious, often fussy and usually healthy, but if they get sick, they are really sick.
All them crème de crop specialties like ophthalmology or derm, I haven't bothered considering out of the realities: there are boys and girls geniuses with top scores and charming smiles fighting for them every day, while I am a gloomy old GMO with an accent and terrible interview skills who barely passed his steps.
Oh... finally RAM is cool too, but I'm really uneasy with becoming and admin officer and as mentioned above preventive med is not exactly my bowl of chili.
So, thank you very much to those who read this long ranting to the end. I am now asking for an advice applicable to the future course steerings / choosings. Any input not counting frank trolling is appreciated and potentially rewardable by a ride in cool helicopter over the beach... hey, you never know.
Too bad you're staying in, because if you like doing OMT then PM&R would be an interesting avenue to explore.

Have you considered biting the bullet and doing IM to get access to all those nice fellowships (allergy, rheum, endo, etc)? I hear you about the medical floor gloom but IM does open a lot of doors and usually goes unfilled (in the Army at least).

Too bad you're staying in, because if you like doing OMT then PM&R would be an interesting avenue to explore.

Have you considered biting the bullet and doing IM to get access to all those nice fellowships (allergy, rheum, endo, etc)? I hear you about the medical floor gloom but IM does open a lot of doors and usually goes unfilled (in the Army at least).

Thanks for your response, WernickeDO.
The idea of a steady retirement check in just 9 years and a wake up is extremely coercive to keep a guy in a flight suit vs the lab coat (if anyone still wears them things outside). It was always like a hidden parachute: say worse come to worse and I retire as a GMO or something similar with a bunch of random medical skills. I will collect a check and take a seat under a baobab tree in an undisclosed third world country prescribing penicillin to the natives who will be grateful to have me there no matter how incompetent I appear in the eyes of a civilized world.
Biting the IM bullet is not a problem. It's the fellowships afterwards: notoriously difficult to get anywhere they are, even less accessible in the military and ridiculously inaccessible in the AF it seems. I guess the only way out would be to do the IM then wait till retirement (won't be long for me) and try on a civilian fellowship pool. Yet at this time this seems like a robotics surgery on a patient across the ocean. Although...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Paragraphs, man.

So - it's Feb and you're nearing the end of a 3-year GMO tour, but don't have a residency lined up and are still deciding on specialty. I assume that means you are doing at least another year (or 2?) as a GMO, and planning to apply to residency this year (next year?) to start in July of 2018 (2019?) ...

You talked about retiring in 11 years so I also assume you're not going to do your 4 years of payback as a GMO and get out.

This probably isn't the forum for finding help choosing a specialty. There are a couple dozen subspecialty forums on SDN to talk about specialty pros and cons.

You should apply to the GMESB this summer and be a resident in something July 2018.

Being a career GMO is a bad option. In the past there were people who did it, but now it's unlikely you'll make O5 without a residency. And if you're going to retire sans residency (i.e. few post military employment options) you need to make a run for O6.

Paragraphs, man.

So - it's Feb and you're nearing the end of a 3-year GMO tour, but don't have a residency lined up and are still deciding on specialty. I assume that means you are doing at least another year (or 2?) as a GMO, and planning to apply to residency this year (next year?) to start in July of 2018 (2019?) ...

You talked about retiring in 11 years so I also assume you're not going to do your 4 years of payback as a GMO and get out.

This probably isn't the forum for finding help choosing a specialty. There are a couple dozen subspecialty forums on SDN to talk about specialty pros and cons.

You should apply to the GMESB this summer and be a resident in something July 2018.

Being a career GMO is a bad option. In the past there were people who did it, but now it's unlikely you'll make O5 without a residency. And if you're going to retire sans residency (i.e. few post military employment options) you need to make a run for O6.

Thank you for the soup, paragraphs it is then:

1. I have applied for the residency for this year but laid my cards wrong by listing only one program locally. So now I am reconsidering the strategies.

2. It's actually 9 years until I retire (11 years in). So you are correct, unless it gets absolutely toxic, I will attempt to stay on the government payroll as a doc or in some other capacity.

3. The reason for posting in this area of the forum is 2/2 tremendous difference in specialty matching / training / experience in the civilian vs military programs. Same for the application process. My interest is in forum members experience with their specialties. E.g. in 3 years in the AF I have not met a single AF program trained psychiatrist. Unfortunately, looking at your profile info, your qualifications are way above my possibilities.

4. I am deciding between re-applying this summer vs next summer 2/2 son being a father of a high school sophomore who risks loosing full college scholarship if I move. Plus few other minor issues.

5. Yes, I realize that a career GMO is a very very bad thing. I am also aware about the whole O-6 deal. There is a way to counter it with 2 years of occ health, but I would rather avoid it.

Thank you for the soup, paragraphs it is then:

1. I have applied for the residency for this year but laid my cards wrong by listing only one program locally. So now I am reconsidering the strategies.

Do you mean you applied to the civilian match for a 2017 start (what specialty?) and are waiting on the civilian match day to know if you have a spot at that program? Sorry I'm not clear on what you mean. Did GMESB grant you a civilian deferment?

What do you presently owe to the military? Just one more year from a 4-year HPSP?

Do you mean you applied to the civilian match for a 2017 start (what specialty?) and are waiting on the civilian match day to know if you have a spot at that program? Sorry I'm not clear on what you mean. Did GMESB grant you a civilian deferment?

What do you presently owe to the military? Just one more year from a 4-year HPSP?

Applied for a military Family Residency / Operational Flight Medicine Residency single location that would've started summer 2016. Didn't get it exactly because of the single location ranking.

Owe the AF 1 more year by the HPSP

Looking forward to reapply, but sort of want to reconsider the options

So I have no intention of ever flying in a military helicopter again.

Don't do path.

You probably won't be competitive for EM.

FM/RAM

I hope that "Grand Dragon 469" is a reference to something other than the KKK but I don't know what it is. You should make that go away.

Reactions: 3 users

Don't do path.

FM/RAM

I hope that "Grand Dragon 469" is a reference to something other than the KKK but I don't know what it is. You should make that go away.

I think that avatar is a photo of Nathan Bedford Forest

Reactions: 1 users
4. I am deciding between re-applying this summer vs next summer 2/2 son being a father of a high school sophomore who risks loosing full college scholarship if I move. Plus few other minor issues.

Is your HOR Florida? Or, do you currently meet Florida resident criteria? Assuming you are referring to some sort of Florida state scholarship - If yes to either, why is there a risk of losing the full scholarship? Even if you move out of Florida you could still retain Florida residency status and scholarship eligibility for your dependent.

This scholarship loss feels like an excuse to stay in Florida - what else is keeping you there? Spouse employment, extended family, home ownership, ... Welcome to the military - be prepared to move if you want a military medical residency.

Read these websites - http://www.fldoe.org/core/fileparse.php/7480/urlt/0082723-faqsresidencymilitary.pdf

http://www.floridastudentfinancialaid.org/ssfad/PDF/BFHandbookChapter1.pdf
Eligibility Criteria: A Bright Futures Scholarship requires a standard Florida high school diploma, unless the student earns a high school diploma from a non-Florida school while living with a parent or guardian who is on A) military or B) public service assignment away from Florida.

http://www.floridastudentfinancialaid.org/SSFAD/PDF/BFOOSGuide.pdf

Don't do path.

FM/RAM

Always found it interesting, how humans form associative thinking based on cultural background. The grand dragon references the art of William Blake and Masonic degrees in combination with form 469, the latter being a physical fitness and duty restriction form in the Air Force, that flight surgeons have a dubious pleasure of fine combing after "real" doctors every day. Wasn't aware of the KKK reference, quite a story indeed, will change to reflect.

Thank you for the suggestion.

What happened in the helicopter?

Last edited:

Attachments

• IMG_3726.JPG
    IMG_3726.JPG
    339.4 KB · Views: 56
Is your HOR Florida? Or, do you currently meet Florida resident criteria? Assuming you are referring to some sort of Florida state scholarship - If yes to either, why is there a risk of losing the full scholarship? Even if you move out of Florida you could still retain Florida residency status and scholarship eligibility for your dependent.

This scholarship loss feels like an excuse to stay in Florida - what else is keeping you there? Spouse employment, extended family, home ownership, ... Welcome to the military - be prepared to move if you want a military medical residency.

Read these websites - http://www.fldoe.org/core/fileparse.php/7480/urlt/0082723-faqsresidencymilitary.pdf

http://www.floridastudentfinancialaid.org/ssfad/PDF/BFHandbookChapter1.pdf
Eligibility Criteria: A Bright Futures Scholarship requires a standard Florida high school diploma, unless the student earns a high school diploma from a non-Florida school while living with a parent or guardian who is on A) military or B) public service assignment away from Florida.

http://www.floridastudentfinancialaid.org/SSFAD/PDF/BFOOSGuide.pdf
Dear Helpful Troll, sadly I was born in a militarized state and spent probably a combined 20+ years in more than one countries' armed forces, often not by choice, so your welcome is fashionably late. But thanks anyways.
I'm looking into the whole scholarship issue, not sure how much the Bright Futures cover, the kid has something coming his way on athletic and academic avenue, but the councilor said he has to stick around. Thanks for the links though.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Dear Helpful Troll, with all due respect, I was born in a militarized state and spent probably a combined 20+ years in more than one countries' armed forces, so your welcome is fashionably late. But thanks anyways.
I'm looking into the whole scholarship issue, not sure how much the Bright Futures cover, the kid has something coming his way on athletic and academic avenue, but the councilor said he has to stick around. Thanks for the links though.
Hrycian - my apologies if the tone of my post was not respectful. It was not intended. So many don't have your life experiences (prior service) or mine to understand the commitment of a military life and the negative impact to family/career.

Hrycian - my apologies if the tone of my post was not respectful. It was not intended. So many don't have your life experiences (prior service) or mine to understand the commitment of a military life and the negative impact to family/career.
Helpful Troll, no worries. Ironically, many end up in the military because of the medical school situation (scholarships, etc). With me it was just the opposite: was no longer fit anymore for a sandbag detail but still felt like a game for more. Yet, even knowing the rules of the game I am still hesitant at yanking the kid out of state during senior high. Did it to his older sister already and she hates me with passion since then.

Greetings to all!

If no residency appeals to you (or if circumstances don't lead you to one), you still qualify to work civil service for Uncle Sam in primary care by virtue of completing an internship and having a license:

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/432397500/

https://www.bop.gov/jobs/health_services.jsp

https://www.ihs.gov/physicians/jobops/

No, I'm not a recruiter. A shipmate in my reserve unit has a brother who is a civil service dentist with the federal bureau of prisons. He makes about 75% take-home of what he did while in private practice, with a 100% reduction in the stress/hassle/time requirement of running a private practice business. And has patients who are usually very grateful for his professional services.

Consider FP/Psych/PM&R and transfer your time to the VA - it's still gov't service and you get your time accounted for. Same goes for any of the 3 letter alphabets that are ingrained in gov't culture. Likely better pay than AD.

After surviving being enlisted in the military, nothing they do to you as an officer amounts to much. I used to keep a stack of down chits in my desk for aviation types.

Family practice will be the most comfortable (real) residency for you. (As opposed to RAM which isn't real outside the military)

Thanks for your response, WernickeDO.
The idea of a steady retirement check in just 9 years and a wake up is extremely coercive to keep a guy in a flight suit vs the lab coat (if anyone still wears them things outside). It was always like a hidden parachute: say worse come to worse and I retire as a GMO or something similar with a bunch of random medical skills. I will collect a check and take a seat under a baobab tree in an undisclosed third world country prescribing penicillin to the natives who will be grateful to have me there no matter how incompetent I appear in the eyes of a civilized world.
Biting the IM bullet is not a problem. It's the fellowships afterwards: notoriously difficult to get anywhere they are, even less accessible in the military and ridiculously inaccessible in the AF it seems. I guess the only way out would be to do the IM then wait till retirement (won't be long for me) and try on a civilian fellowship pool. Yet at this time this seems like a robotics surgery on a patient across the ocean. Although...
lol, such a visionary. Totally forgot about the robots.

Applied for a military Family Residency / Operational Flight Medicine Residency single location that would've started summer 2016. Didn't get it exactly because of the single location ranking.

Owe the AF 1 more year by the HPSP

Looking forward to reapply, but sort of want to reconsider the options

Do you like flight enough to finish your career there? We've got a lot of folks doing FM to flight med or fm/ram in AF FM residencies. this year they sent a lot of applicants civ sponsored, who knows if that will continue, but it might make the civ option more appealing with time toward retirement and more geographic options.

At 11 years in you are likely a senior 04. Like mentioned above, it may be difficult for you to promote to 05, let alone 06. This may not apply to docs especially if there's a need but getting passed over twice is basically the end of one's military career. I've known residency trained 04s who've gotten passed over for 05 on first try without any glaring or obvious deficiencies. I would seriously consider residency in FM, Occupational or aerospace residency in the military. That time will count towards active duty if you do want to retire. Once residency trained there will be less reason to get passed over for promotion as long as you've done all your requisite military education/training.

Do you like flight enough to finish your career there? We've got a lot of folks doing FM to flight med or fm/ram in AF FM residencies. this year they sent a lot of applicants civ sponsored, who knows if that will continue, but it might make the civ option more appealing with time toward retirement and more geographic options.
I do, and this is what I applied for last year. Started scratching the melon when the local place sent the "Dear John" for this cycle. So apparently with all the screaming deficit of the residency trained flight docs they only have like less than 8 OFMR spots on active duty (2 in this location) and unknown how many sponsored. We now have a formidable number of FM residents trying to switch gear to OFMR under some weird last chance for the lost clause. I guess it would do if push came to shove. The only trick is not to rust out with clinical skills if ending up in SME position or in the AFSOC club, both being lots of fun but not much of clinic diversity.

At 11 years in you are likely a senior 04. Like mentioned above, it may be difficult for you to promote to 05, let alone 06. This may not apply to docs especially if there's a need but getting passed over twice is basically the end of one's military career. I've known residency trained 04s who've gotten passed over for 05 on first try without any glaring or obvious deficiencies. I would seriously consider residency in FM, Occupational or aerospace residency in the military. That time will count towards active duty if you do want to retire. Once residency trained there will be less reason to get passed over for promotion as long as you've done all your requisite military education/training.
Well, I'm a "senior" O-3. The prior service is the enlisted flavor from the different branch. So it seems that they are still doing the O5 promotions for the docs minus the residency and chances I can retire at it. But you are right the residency has to happen. Interestingly enough I will be eligible for retirement shortly after the obligation. So really want to play the game right if the mysterious "prior service gets the cake" legend is worth anything.

I do, and this is what I applied for last year. Started scratching the melon when the local place sent the "Dear John" for this cycle. So apparently with all the screaming deficit of the residency trained flight docs they only have like less than 8 OFMR spots on active duty (2 in this location) and unknown how many sponsored. We now have a formidable number of FM residents trying to switch gear to OFMR under some weird last chance for the lost clause. I guess it would do if push came to shove. The only trick is not to rust out with clinical skills if ending up in SME position or in the AFSOC club, both being lots of fun but not much of clinic diversity.
Send me a private message if you want to share more offline. I've been involved in AF FM resident selection and might be able to give more specific insight

Not getting into AF FM because you chose one sight sounds fishy to me. They don't always fill and likely would have just given you another locale, take it or leave it.
Someone might not like you or there is something up in your record.

4. I am deciding between re-applying this summer vs next summer 2/2 son being a father of a high school sophomore who risks loosing full college scholarship if I move.

Could you transfer the post-9/11 G.I. bill to him? That way, you could cover tuition and provide a stipend regardless of where he goes and what state you currently reside.

not sure how much the Bright Futures cover,

I thought it covers all of the tuition costs. The good news about Florida schools is that they are fairly cheap for in-state residents even without the scholarship.

Deuist, unfortunately, the 9/11 is how I got myself through college, masters and med school. So kind of drained here.

Not getting into AF FM because you chose one sight sounds fishy to me. They don't always fill and likely would have just given you another locale, take it or leave it.

I only listed one locale for choice, so the other locale option was out. Likes... who knows know. Record... nothing damning there either for all I know.

Don't always fill? when was the last time? They just increased their number of residents at each program as well and are still filling up.
From what I was told, having just gone through the JSBGME, they can only give you am option if you rank it. they make you rank a lot as a graduating med stud, but as a field applicant you can rank more narrowly and they can't msu you somewhere if it's not on your list. they can come to you and recommend along more options, but they can't match yoy top a place you didn't rank.

Working in acute care and doing flight physical after retirement are options. Sounds like you can retire with 20 years regardless.