FlexMed Financial Aid Situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pizzacheese37

Reaction score
--

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This is why one should never lock themselves in unless money is not an object

From what I’ve seen Sinai is less generous on avg than New York counterparts

Reactions: 1 user
This is why one should never lock themselves in unless money is not an object

From what I’ve seen Sinai is less generous on avg than New York counterparts

with the amount of stress there is in applying to other schools during the regular application cycle, I would recommend flexmed to everyone. Sinai is a top 20 med school, no doors closed.

Members don't see this ad :)
with the amount of stress there is in applying to other schools during the regular application cycle, I would recommend flexmed to everyone. Sinai is a top 20 med school, no doors closed.
True, unless you don't want to be in a position in 2 years of trying to negotiate price with a single seller. :)

As long as you are okay with the possibility of maybe having to pay full price with no meaningful opportunity to negotiate, this is absolutely the way to go if you are good enough to be accepted. Otherwise, as OP is learning the hard way, not so much.

Unfortunately for OP, there is no magic word or phrase that is going to resolve their situation. The rest of us use one or more scholarship offers, hopefully from schools of similar rank or above, to try to shake money loose from a preferred destination, with various degrees of success, depending on the school and our perceived desirability as candidates.

It just does not happen in a monopoly situation, which is exact what Sinai created for itself by prohibiting FlexMed students from even registering to take the MCAT, let alone actually apply out. They knew exactly what they were doing in creating an environment in which it would be impossible for OP to have the conversation they are now seeking help with. OP needs to forget about the hesitancy, because the alternative is multiple years of uncertainty, possibly followed by no better, or even equivalent, alternative in the future. The time to consider this was two years ago. The ship really has sailed now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Can I ask why you need to renegotiate your aid package? What changed where you think an adjustment is necessary?
What changed is that they naively assumed it would actually meet their need, and it doesn't! Just like most of the rest of us.

The only problem is, OP put themself in a position where they have zero leverage, and they are hoping we know something they don't that will help with that. Unfortunately, there is no such thing. Nothing changed, because they just received the package.

And "renegotiate" is just wishful thinking, because there is no basis for a negotiation, with no competing offer. There is just asking for reconsideration, which typically goes nowhere without leverage, and, oftentimes, even with.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users