flamboyant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nanosomic

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am not even in medical school but I have been watching the show Nip Tuck, and I was just wondering if there is any truth in how plastic surgeons are depicted (I mean chasing girls, having affairs with patients, party all the time, etc). I know it is just a tv show but I am just curious!

Members don't see this ad.

the prs guys I know do a lot of flaps, grafts, reconstructing defects after big soft tissue tumor removal, lots of craniofacial reconstruction, tons of reduction mammaplasty, fair number of massive vhr revisions, lots of hand trauma, moderate number of carpal tunnel releases, occasional mastopexy, modest number of augmentation mammaplasty, and occasional lipo/rhinoplasty/face lift/brow lift... And a lot of microvascular work with all of the flaps, and hand cases... About 50% of the patients are medicaid patients... Not like "nip/tuck" from what I hear (since I've never seen the show).

Then again, these are academic guys, not private practice types.

If someone wrote a show about the life of a real surgeon, no one would watch. Now granted, some of the PRS guys on shows like "Dr 90210" and "Body Works" are a little more flamboyant than most of the academic guys we know. I have yet to see "hugh grant" floppy highlighted hair or an Armani suit on any academic PRS! Nor have I seen any of my attendings walking down the street wearing a muscle tee shirt like Dr. Rey on 90210.! :D

That said, PRS are human too...some of them do have affairs with patients, party, etc. - they are no different than the general public.