[FL] 3.86 cGPA, 3.88 sGPA, 507 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amorphous

OMS4
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Year in school: Gap Year (just graduated; re-applicant)

Country/state of residence: FL

Schools to which you are applying:

[MD]: All 7 FL schools, Albany, Cal North State, EVMS, Loyola, Oakland, Rosalind Franklin, Rush, St. Louis, Downstate NY, Stony Brook, Vermont, Virginia Tech, Western Michigan, MAYBE MORE

[DO]: LECOM (FL), NOVA (FL), Campbell, Touro (Cali), Western U (Cali), Rocky Vista (Colorado). MAYBE MORE

Cumulative GPA: 3.85

Science GPA: 3.88

MCAT Scores: 507 (130 Chem, 124 CARS, 128, Bio, 125 Psych); re-taking July 22

Research – 1000 hours in a Muscle Physiology Lab. No publications

Volunteering (clinical) – Orthopedic and Sports Medicine Institute (50 hours), Pediatric Cardiology (200 hours)

Physician shadowing – Plastic Surgery (50 hours), Orthopedic Surgery (50 hours), Orthopedic Surgery (50 hours)

Non-clinical volunteering - Over 500 hours as a camp counselor for children whose parents have been affected by cancer; 50 hours building bikes and teaching kids in a rural area how to ride and repair bikes; 75 hours Dance Marathon UF; 150 hours tutoring Calculus and Pre-Cal students

Extracurricular activities - musician in my free time. Guitar and drums

Employment history - Currently working 40 hours/week as a Emergency Medical Scribe; Part-time delivery driver at 2 restaurants (>300 hours); Part-time Bus Boy (150 hours)

Immediate family members in medicine? No

Specialty of interest - orthopedics, sports medicine, emergency medicine. This will change

Interest in rural health - Yes

Members don't see this ad.

You have a good list but Downstate NY and Stony Brook accept very few non residents with your MCAT. Consider adding schools such as:
Quinnipiac
New York Medical
Creighton
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson

Members don't see this ad :)
We have similar stats and am also from Florida.

Some schools not on your list that I added was NYMC, GW and Indiana. Hope this helps and good luck on your re-take!

We have similar stats and am also from Florida.

Some schools not on your list that I added was NYMC, GW and Indiana. Hope this helps and good luck on your re-take!

I didn't bother applying to GWU. Applied there last cycle with no luck and there are way too many applicants that apply there (over 10,000). I will probably add more if I do well on the MCAT. Thank you and good luck to you this cycle :)