fkhan: anxiety

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jim Henderson

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Dr. Henderson,
>
>I'm a premed student at the Univ. of MD and I will be entering my second
>year there. I am just ridden with anxiety about admission into medical
>school and whether I'm making the right decisions regarding my undergrad
>career. I recently changed my major from biology to psychology becuase I
>found it to be very interesting and to learn science from a different perspective. Do you think this decreases my chances
>into med school? I'm also thinking this will affect my performance on the MCAT's?? I just want to make sure I won't regret this decision in the future...what other general suggestions do you have for getting into med school?
>
>Thank you so very much!
>
>F.K.

Members don't see this ad.

You should not be discriminated against on the basis of your major. These days, students enter medical school with all kinds of majors!
As for the MCATs, I suggest taking a practice MCAT from one of the books available on our site. If you are getting 10s in every category, or higher, you'll probably be fine.

You have a slightly better chance of doing well on the biology section of the MCAT if you are a biology major, simply because basic principles are often reinforced in advanced classes. The biology stuff on the MCAT usually does not extend past your medical school pre-requisite biology classes!

Best wishes!

Jim Henderson, MD of Medicalstudent.net