Five High Paying, Low Stress Jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Never trust "job rankings." The idea is inherently flawed. The journalists who compile these rankings can't possibly have insight into every single profession out there. That would require months and months of nonstop research. So they just look at lengths of training and average salaries and pull the rest out of their butts.

Here's the US News & World Report 2012 Job Rankings. Wanna guess the #1 job in America for 2012? It's RN. :laugh: You get my point?

Yes, thank you very much for sharing!:) The provided article concerning optometry as a profession is very reassuring!:)

You can just picture Jason K pulling his hair out.

Never trust "job rankings." The idea is inherently flawed. The journalists who compile these rankings can't possibly have insight into every single profession out there. That would require months and months of nonstop research. So they just look at lengths of training and average salaries and pull the rest out of their butts.

Here's the US News & World Report 2012 Job Rankings. Wanna guess the #1 job in America for 2012? It's RN. :laugh: You get my point?

The flaw in your link to a USNWR ranking is that it doesn't conform with what many on this forum want it to, therefore, the monster article is superior.

The flaw in your link to a USNWR ranking is that it doesn't conform with what many on this forum want it to, therefore, the monster article is superior.

#3 is pharmacist, check out their forums.

You can just picture Jason K pulling his hair out.

If I were to pull out my hair in response to every ridiculous post on this forum, I'd would have looked like an alopecia patient a long time ago.

LOL @ 24% job growth, who are they kidding? with FIVE new schools opening, it's probably going to be -24% growth 0_0

Not trying to stir the pot here, but aren't you starting optometry school soon? If you feel this way, then why are you entering at all? I'm honestly not trying to be rude.

If I'm mistaken, then just ignore.

Not trying to stir the pot here, but aren't you starting optometry school soon? If you feel this way, then why are you entering at all? I'm honestly not trying to be rude.

If I'm mistaken, then just ignore.

I was merely pointing out that the actual "Growth" of Optometry might be around 1-4%...I don't think it does anyone a favor to be naive about what will happen to jobs once there's an influx of Optometry students.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was merely pointing out that the actual "Growth" of Optometry might be around 1-4%...I don't think it does anyone a favor to be naive about what will happen to jobs once there's an influx of Optometry students.

How did you come up with the 1-4% figure? Why have you decided to pursue optometry if you have such a negative outlook?

haha...I know that OD's go.. "1 or 2? 3 or 4?" JK! I know that they go through rigorous curriculum too but nice to know :thumbup:

haha...I know that OD's go.. "1 or 2? 3 or 4?" JK! I know that they go through rigorous curriculum too but nice to know :thumbup:

Eye surgeons do the same thing. Currently its the best way to give a patient the best vision possible. There is no machine that can scan all the little abberations of every surface of every structure of the eye and how they are perceived by the brain. There is just too much subjectivity involved in vision.

How did you come up with the 1-4% figure? Why have you decided to pursue optometry if you have such a negative outlook?

I was really positive about Optometry till I came to this website lol

I was really positive about Optometry till I came to this website lol

While I respect that people are giving their opinions on this site and are genuinely trying to warn about this field, I think it's also important to remember that this forum contains a small percentage of optometrists and optometry students. Forums are usually pretty self selective. People are much more likely to write about their complaints than their praise. Just think of how many times you have voiced a complaint to a company vs the times that you have written to praise a product. I have met young people who are happy in this field, and I met a young doctor today who seemed unhappy because of loan debt.

While I respect that people are giving their opinions on this site and are genuinely trying to warn about this field, I think it's also important to remember that this forum contains a small percentage of optometrists and optometry students. Forums are usually pretty self selective. People are much more likely to write about their complaints than their praise. Just think of how many times you have voiced a complaint to a company vs the times that you have written to praise a product. I have met young people who are happy in this field, and I met a young doctor today who seemed unhappy because of loan debt.

Don't worry....all your uncertainty will be answered once you've graduated and you enter the profession that countless other ODs are already in. What you say about forums is true, but it doesn't change anything about the reality faced by the profession. It is what is is.

Don't worry....all your uncertainty will be answered once you've graduated and you enter the profession that countless other ODs are already in. What you say about forums is true, but it doesn't change anything about the reality faced by the profession. It is what is is.

You've already said that this profession is right for some people. I think I'll be one of the people who enjoys it, as I've enjoyed my time both in commercial and private settings. There have to be some people who like it; I've encountered recent grads who enjoy their job. And if I don't like the profession, I think I'll figure that out before I do all four years. I have a backup plan. I've also encountered recent grads in real life who don't like optometry and who regret their choices. I've given their complaints quite a bit of thought, and I've still decided to go through with this. I think I've been really polite with you, and I think I've detailed my thoughts to you before (maybe it was to another poster), so I don't know why you want to follow me around with this doom and gloom. I'm well aware of what I'm getting into.

You've already said that this profession is right for some people. I think I'll be one of the people who enjoys it, as I've enjoyed my time both in commercial and private settings. There have to be some people who like it; I've encountered recent grads who enjoy their job. And if I don't like the profession, I think I'll figure that out before I do all four years. I have a backup plan. I've also encountered recent grads in real life who don't like optometry and who regret their choices. I've given their complaints quite a bit of thought, and I've still decided to go through with this. I think I've been really polite with you, and I think I've detailed my thoughts to you before (maybe it was to another poster), so I don't know why you want to follow me around with this doom and gloom. I'm well aware of what I'm getting into.

If you think you're the first person who planned on "liking commercial" and then discovered that it's just as bad as everyone said it was, you're in for a surprise.

Following you around? I've been on this forum for over a year. No one is following you around.

I wish there was mail order optometry like there is for pharmacy. That would be perfect for Jason, as he obviously hates being around people. I have come to the conclusion that all the negativity is so that us students choose another field.

Population in the united states in 2012: approx. 313 million
# of optometry schools in 2012: 21

That would be perfect for Jason, as he obviously hates being around people.

Really? Because I am telling you about an enormous, costly, life mistake that thousands of people are about to make.....you think that makes me hate being around people? I now own a non-optometry related company that is based on .......wait for it.....dealing with a lot of people. Sorry, chief - just because you'd like something to be true, doesn't mean it is. But go on thinking what you want - see how it works out for you.

I have come to the conclusion that all the negativity is so that us students choose another field.

I'm here to let people know that optometry is not what they think it is. Many people, who can look at facts, will realize that what they want from the profession is not what it actually offers anymore. Those people will often choose other professions. Others, who ignore facts in front of them, will choose to enter anyway, relying on what they have concocted in their own minds. I really don't care what anyone does on this thing, but I do hope that anyone who is unfamiliar with the realities of optometry will become aware of them. If you choose not to be one of those people, that's your issue. There's always room for one more OD to fill in at one of the 47 local Walmart boxes.

Population in the united states in 2012: approx. 313 million
# of optometry schools in 2012: 21

Oh dear god....are you an AOA rep? I think I've heard this ridiculous, unbelievably naive argument before. There are so many flaws in this line of thinking, I'm not even going to start in on it. I'd be here for 35 pages.

Last edited:
deserve the heat for that....

meant " I have come to the conclusion that all the negativity is so that us students choose another field", because you're scared you will become even less profitable.

deserve the heat for that....

meant " I have come to the conclusion that all the negativity is so that us students choose another field", because you're scared you will become even less profitable.

What? You do realize I'm almost out of the profession, entirely - right? I have nothing to gain by warning others......zero.

I wish there was mail order optometry like there is for pharmacy.

Say what?! Have you ever heard of a little company called 1-800-Contacts. Surely you know that the mail order part of eye care is growing exponetially. All predictions say it will keep growing. You can order your CLs, without an RX online 24/7. You can get your colored contact lenses from any ghetto hair salon or gas station.

You can now order glasses on-line for 1/8 the cost of buying them from an OD. Do a google search. These sites, selling complete $7.99 glasses are all over the net:

http://www.cheapglasses123.com/

So lets see, buy $300 glasses from my OD or take a chance on $8 glasses on-line. Hmmmm.......which would I do?

Which leaves services, eye exams and treatment of disease..........and there is simply not enough of that to go around for more ODs. That's a fact! And so you know, I too, have no real stake in the future of optometry. I'm 3/4 through my career and have made my money. What Jason and I (and others) are simply trying to say is that Optometry in 2015 is not the same as optometry in 1995. Corporations took pharmacy to it's knees and then it set it's sights on optometry. Took them a while but they discoverd the big mark-up in eyeglasses and CLs (In bulk) and decided to "own" it. And they did starting from about 1998.

It's infinitely harder to succeed in optometry as a new doc today and will be even harder tomorrow.

If you got it in you, go for it. But know, with the energy (and money) you put into optometry, you could open up many different kinds of businesses and be successful.

Last edited:
If you think you're the first person who planned on "liking commercial" and then discovered that it's just as bad as everyone said it was, you're in for a surprise.

Following you around? I've been on this forum for over a year. No one is following you around.

LOL I know, clearly she's delusional :laugh:

Do you genuinely believe that it's impossible to be happy doing commercial? I'm being serious here. I've been thinking about going into dentistry now. I just had some bad shadowing experiences, but the doctors did say that you could make a lot of money in a commercial setting. I just want to make enough to start getting into business/real estate. Not that I hate optometry; I actually am interested in what they do. I like to BS with patients, and I like the nature of the work.

Do you genuinely believe that it's impossible to be happy doing commercial? I'm being serious here. I've been thinking about going into dentistry now. I just had some bad shadowing experiences, but the doctors did say that you could make a lot of money in a commercial setting. I just want to make enough to start getting into business/real estate. Not that I hate optometry; I actually am interested in what they do. I like to BS with patients, and I like the nature of the work.

I think the majority of people entering the profession will be miserable in commercial optometry. There are going to be a few that like it, but they will be the small number who a) find their way into high-volume locations (getting to be a smaller and smaller percentage of the whole), and b) those who don't care about delivering health care to patients. Those people will probably be fine. The rest - those who want to deliver strong patient care, and those who end up in low volume locations, will regret the day they decided on the optometry career path. I've seen it too many times to count. You may think you'll love it, but the odds are stacked against you. I was you once - don't forget that.

WTF? Here is an idea if you ever go back in time to re-think that one; There are better places to get start-up capital.

On a slightly positive note, your tuition is going to be equivalent to a mortgage, so at least you'll know what it is like to have to pay back that amount of money.

I was 3 months away from starting my OD program, shadowed some more doctors, asked very frank questions and got straight answers from a lot of them. I think the coup de gras came when my 60 yr old OD at Costco pretty much straight up told me, "What the hell are you thinking?".

I may have lost $500 by giving up my seat, but personally it was the best $500 i've ever spent.

Tippytoe, I believe I said mail order optometry, not mail order optical. You're smarter than that? A mail order pharmacist can sit in a warehouse and never have a single interaction with a patient...seems fitting for you negative nancys, but obviously optometrists don't have that option.

Last edited:
Tippytoe, I believe I said mail order optometry, not mail order optical. You're smarter than that? A mail order pharmacist can sit in a warehouse and never have a single interaction with a patient...seems fitting for you negative nancys, but obviously optometrists don't have that option.

My friend. You're clueless. OPTICAL is OPTOMETRY.....for the past 100 years. You will never survive as an OD without selling eyewear (either personally or via your employer optical).

If you think your going to be a DOCTOR that only rushes in to give exams and treat those blinding eye diseases...........well, your in for a surprise (unless you're one of the few that gets a job as an OMD's little bitch.....but most of them have opticals nowadays too).

Optical used to account for 60% of Optometrist's income. With that gone, an OD makes a teacher salary. There are not enough needed eye exams in the country to make up for that.

Finally, we are not far off from having super self-refracting instruments that can be put in malls for patients to refract themselves and get their Rx. The technology is already here. You can argue it will never happen because people have to have their eye health chekced but people can already buy plus readers in any store without an exam. Not a far stretch to let them buy minus and astigmatic glasses. It's just politics stopping it for now. And when the money comes, you can bet the monopoly of only ODs and OMDs refracting will end. THEN what will you do? Limit your practice to "The Red Eye Clinic". :rolleyes:

I'm sorry if the reality I present to you doesn't mesh with the fantasy you have in your head. But at somepoint, you have to grow up and realize life isn't what you demand it to be. It's what it is. You may have to realize that people with much more life experience, not to mention professional experience, just might know more than what you've learned in your 22 years. Sorry.

Last edited:
A mail order pharmacist can sit in a warehouse and never have a single interaction with a patient...seems fitting for you negative nancys, but obviously optometrists don't have that option.

Talk to ANY OD and you'll see that most of what we do is refraction-related. There are those in positions that create exceptions, but most ODs refract. That's our role. We're not out there providing medical eye care all day. The oversupply issue will further guarantee that future ODs will not have a strong role in eye care. Most will be in commercial, refraction roles.

If you think a machine can't replace us for a large percentage of patients out there, as far as refraction goes, you're dreaming. You guys just don't see the writing on the wall. That's fine. You can stand on the tracks and ignore those who warn of a train that's coming, but if you ignore it long enough, you'll eventually get mowed down one way or the other.

If I'm 22, I must be quite the genius to already have had a 14 year career in pharmacy (and I kind of look like crap then). I'm still young , but wise enough to know change might not always be a bad thing, and know the ways I can take advantage of it.

I choose not to be miserable and not to complain...it doesn't get you very far in life. On that note, associating myself with miserable, bitter people who are stuck in 1992 are not benefiting me whatsoever so I think I'm done you now.

If I'm 22, I must be quite the genius to already have had a 14 year career in pharmacy (and I kind of look like crap then). I'm still young , but wise enough to know change might not always be a bad thing, and know the ways I can take advantage of it.

I choose not to be miserable and not to complain...it doesn't get you very far in life. On that note, associating myself with miserable, bitter people who are stuck in 1992 are not benefiting me whatsoever so I think I'm done you now.

Wow, dude - now I really feel for you. A 14 year career in pharmacy and you're coming into optometry now? Believe me, none of the ODs on here are "stuck in 1992." If we were, optometry would be a lot healthier and you'd probably have a much harder time finding people who would warn against entering the profession. Most of the people I know who graduated in the early 90s are doing great.

But go ahead, come on into optometry. You seem to think it's going to go differently for you than it will for everyone else, just like most people who ignore the warnings. Like I told BeesKnees, make sure you come back here to tell everyone how it went for you. I'm sure the attitudes on this forum will be faaaaaaar worse in 5 years or so when you graduate.

No kidding. Going from pharmacy into optometry is like going from laying asphalt on a road crew in July and quitting to pay $100,000 to join a roofing company in August.

You're going from bad to bad. Makes no sense why you wouldn't go into a profession that is acutally growing and has a good future. You might not believe it--but we actually trying to help you.

What is it, exactly, that you believe you will get from optometry that you don't get from pharmacy?

The flaw in your plan is the cost of the education. Unless you go to optometry school for free you won't have enough money to start a business working in commercial optometry. It's just not that lucrative.

Why not just borrow the $300,00+ grand for the education ($200,000 for the degree and $100,000+ in opportunity cost) and start a business if that's what you want.

The flaw in your plan is the cost of the education. Unless you go to optometry school for free you won't have enough money to start a business working in commercial optometry. It's just not that lucrative.

Why not just borrow the $300,00+ grand for the education ($200,000 for the degree and $100,000+ in opportunity cost) and start a business if that's what you want.

Well I'm not sure that I'll have the business chops. I would like a steady job. I understand that I might just be an optometrist for the remainder of my days, and I'm happy with that. I don't want to start a business of my own; I'm talking about investing my money, perhaps in the real estate market. I know people who do that on much less than an optometrist's salary. If I took the money and tried to start a business, it could tank and leave me with nothing. At least with a degree, I can always work. On the loan front, I am very fortunate that I am going to be having some family help. I am extremely thankful for this, believe me.

Last edited: