FIU, Food and hostel accomodation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

venki_dr

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got admission in FIU,Miami for MPH.Can you tell me any idea whether I can find Indian students,and what about the hostels and the food?

Members don't see this ad.

venki_dr said:
I got admission in FIU,Miami for MPH.Can you tell me any idea whether I can find Indian students,and what about the hostels and the food?

Hello!

I graduated from FIU and you can check at th einternational students office and they will tell if there is a ny Indian association of students or anything that can help you met other indian students.

I recommend you to look for a roomate somewhere around campus that it is cheaper than living on campus and cheaper than a hostal, also because there is not hostal arounf FIU.
The food is anything you want to eat, they have very different foods at campus, cuban, american, chinese, arabic, sandwiches.

Also you will need a car if you plan to live in Miami.........or you will need to live on campus or very close to the campus....

I am planning to do my MPH in FIU too. But I have not decide when to start. When are you starting?

Good luck :)

Hello,

I don't know much about FIU, so I can't provide you with first-hand knowledge of the housing, food, students, etc. I did want to clarify one thing in the hopes of helping you find answers to your question. :)

In American English, "hostel" generally connotes an inexpensive (and often crowded) place for travelers to stay for a short period of time, for example, while backpacking through Europe (where I think such places are more common). The buildings owned by the university where students can live may be called "dormitories" ("dorms"), "residence halls" (may be like dorms, suites, or apartments), "student apartments", "student housing" (<-a common general term), or some number of other things - but generally not "hostels".

Now I'll describe some of the common housing options for students that are owned or operated by universities. Dorms often have 1-3 people per room, with a shared bathroom for all the rooms on the floor. Suites are like dorms, but they are arranged so that a smaller number of people share a common living area and bathroom, and they may have a small kitchen inside. Apartments vary in size and what they offer, but they more commonly have a full kitchen. There are probably some other types of living arrangements, but these three are probably the most common at U.S. unviersities.

Some universities have sufficient housing for all of their students, and may even have specific buildings reserved for graduate students. Other universities may have only a small amount of housing reserved for graduate students, leaving most students on their own to locate a place to live. Even if this is the case, and you have to find a non-university-run apartment, the university may have a housing office that can provide you with guidance about local apartment buildings, a list of vacancies and/or of people looking for roommates, a guide to how much rent you should expect to pay, a sample lease agreement, and so on.

At FIU, the housing office website is:
http://www.fiu.edu/~housing/

Hope this helps.

Namazu