First Week/Year Thoughts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm starting week 2 in my program and they are easing us into it very nicely. I have the following classes:

1. Anatomy
  2. Foundations of PT Practice
  3. Kinesiology
  4. Clinical Medicine
All my classes are 5 units, with the exception of Clinical Medicine which is only 1 unit. The Clinical Medicine class only has 1 exam for the whole semester which is a take home final, so I am putting that class on the back burner lol. We also tend to get out of class earlier on M W F, as we don't always have lab for Foundations of PT Practice, so I am having more free time than I anticipated. It seems that the two hardest classes will be anatomy and kinesiology. I am a little bit anxious about the Foundations class as that is when you are tested on "hands on" activities (such as how to put on a gown, cap, and mask properly), which is something I have never done while taking the pre-reqs. So far, so good though!
Not too bad! When you mean gown, cap, and mask, are you referring to an acute care setting? Is that just one detail within that course?

I'm in my second week of my second semester and we have 8 classes:

I thought our summer was tough, but NOOOOO. It only gets harder. We had class from 7:45 to 5 STRAIGHT... 1.5 of those hrs was Pathology, our 1 hr lunch we had a Research Journal Article discussion, the rest was all ONE CLASS! Today's summery of our class was "Did A happen because of B or because of C? Well it doesn't matter, because C happens because of B and A, and B happens because of A and C and ABC...it makes sense, go to sleep, reset, and come and get your hopes destroyed tomorrow again." LOL I'm over exaggerating, but you get the idea. Days like these makes me want to vent up in here.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Enjoy school while you still can and learn from all your mistakes...once you are out and practicing `the real bullets` start flying haha

Last edited:
Not too bad! When you mean gown, cap, and mask, are you referring to an acute care setting? Is that just one detail within that course?

I'm in my second week of my second semester and we have 8 classes:

I thought our summer was tough, but NOOOOO. It only gets harder. We had class from 7:45 to 5 STRAIGHT... 1.5 of those hrs was Pathology, our 1 hr lunch we had a Research Journal Article discussion, the rest was all ONE CLASS! Today's summery of our class was "Did A happen because of B or because of C? Well it doesn't matter, because C happens because of B and A, and B happens because of A and C and ABC...it makes sense, go to sleep, reset, and come and get your hopes destroyed tomorrow again." LOL I'm over exaggerating, but you get the idea. Days like these makes me want to vent up in here.
It's just one detail of the class. We learn other things such as proper hygiene and proper communication.

Wow your school sounds really intense. Some days we only have class for 3 hours. We are starting to get busy with anatomy but it hasn't been too overwhelming so far.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in week 6. We have 6 classes . We take classes with med students. Currently taking biochemistry( w. Med students ), Musculoskeletal, ( w. Med students ), doctoring 1 with med students, doctoring for PT, foundations I, movement science, anatomy lab with med students. It's extremely intense, but we are making it through and learning alot. But it is so tiring.... keep going guys we'll make it through first year!

Reactions: 2 users
Just finished the first week (first year) and lets just say they are not shy about giving information out! We have 7 courses this quarter and even the 1 day a week classes require work.
Anatomy is going to be a killer, im just hopin i make it out lol.
The professors have used the analogy of "drinking out of a fire hydrant" this week about 10 times.

On a side note, killed the first ever grad school quiz today!

Reactions: 1 users
Just finished my first few days of 1st term and it's definitely a little overwhelming. 7 classes: Physical therapy practice 1, massage, anatomy with lab, physiology with lab, scientific inquiry, critical thinking and skills and procedures. Currently, I'm trying to keep my head above water and complete as many assignments as I can early to lighten my load. I think reality finally hit me when I learned that my anatomy notes packet is 800 pages, lol. Let the games begin.

One thing I know for sure is that it'll definitely get harder! During the summer I +pity+ to my social life. Now I feel like it'll stay that way for most of the rest of the year till our break. I also don't take for granted that I'm finally in PT school. A no-judgment zone where everyone wants to learn and freak out at the same time. I love it. I worked with wheelchairs today and realized that it's very tiring to do a lap around the lab and to turn! More respect to those who live with them.

Last final of the Fall today. Everything has gone well so far I think.

Became sick about a week ago so finals week has been absolute hell for me. Profs seem pretty understanding but it's definitely impacting my performance. Haven't been able to sleep, haven't been able to sit still for more than ten minutes without having a coughing fit. Really rough.

Fall semester of the first year is in the books!

Reactions: 4 users
do you guys get to relax at all over break? or is it more reviewing/preparing for next semester?

Haven't touched anything class related really. Looked at the syllabus and stuff posted for one class but that's all. Profs told us to just chill, so that's what I'm doing. The closest I'm coming to prepping is organizing planners, ordering textbooks, and laying out my gym schedule around my class schedule for the spring.

Congrats on 1st semester down everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, I'm not doing any work over winter break haha

We have a 1 unit visceral anatomy course for winter semester that should be pretty easy, so no need to prepare. I know that some students are going to review for spring semester because we have a tough professor for ex. phys. Enjoy your time off!!!

My school gave us an assignment to do over winter break.. :arghh: Other than that I've been glancing over a few muscles for anatomy and trying to mentally prepare myself for another semester haha.

Oh no! That's a bummer.

I just have an online lecture to watch and a quiz to take before I'm back in the classroom.

Two months left as a first year student!

Year one is in the books for me, everyone. It was definitely the most challenging year of schooling that I have ever experienced, but that was pretty much what we signed on for, right?

Everything really did go well, both in and out of the classroom. The spring semester was brutal, but everyone in our program (faculty and students) tell us that the spring of your first year is by far the roughest and it's pretty smooth sailing from there. I love the program and feel very close to my professors and classmates. I've got a pretty interesting research study I've been working on (setup is complete and we begin this summer!) and I have a leadership position in the class. Overall, my GPA is really perfectly fine, but I would be lying if I didn't wish it was a touch higher (one could always say that, though). I had one or two minor stumbles each semester that ended up costing me maybe half a letter grade in a course or two. But, I need to get out of my perfectionist mentality; I've learned a ton and grown a lot and that is what matters. I'm basically getting the same grades I got in undergrad, so I don't know whyI I'd expect to do much better at a tougher level.

I'm home until June when everything gets rolling again with a pretty light summer schedule through July. After that, we get August off followed by Clinic I in the fall! Pumped!

I hope everyone else had/is having a great first year and closes out strong!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Excited but anxious to get started! Got my summer textbook list ordered and hope to atleast look through material. Our anatomy and histology is only 6 weeks long over the summer, so that makes me nervous. Thanks for you blog, it helps calm the nerves.

Excited but anxious to get started! Got my summer textbook list ordered and hope to atleast look through material. Our anatomy and histology is only 6 weeks long over the summer, so that makes me nervous. Thanks for you blog, it helps calm the nerves.

Yeah mine was 8 weeks, so I think 6 is a pretty normal timeframe. You WILL do great. The anticipatory anxiety drove me nuts in the months weeks leading up but it goes away pretty quick once you get in the rhythm of everything!