First up, neurosurg.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aaronkun

Kuruologist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I start off intern year with neurosurgery. problem is, I have no clue about nsg. What can I expect to do? What should I read? Help?!

Members don't see this ad.

So I start off intern year with neurosurgery. problem is, I have no clue about nsg. What can I expect to do? What should I read? Help?!

This is the bible for NS:
http://www.amazon.com/Handbook-Neurosurgery-Mark-Greenberg/dp/1604063262/ref=dp_ob_title_bk

You can get the 6th edition or check a copy out from a library. I'm sure the NS staff at your place would be more than happy to lend you a copy.

I'm pretty much an AI right now during my clerkship. So, my advice may be tainted, but here are some points:

1. Be well prepared to do a quick neuro exam and be able to articulate these findings.
2. You will probably be taking care of a lot of patients in the SICU or MICU. (Neuro ICU if they have one). So critical care medicine comes up a lot.
3. Basic neuroanatomy would be helpful...Greenberg can help you with that.

Greenberg=Key to success, even if it is only for a month.

As much as I love Greenberg, for a month-long nsg rotation for a non-neurosurgery 'tern I recommend a new application for iPhone, the Neurosurgery Survival Guide. It's less than $10 and has pretty much what you need to know from Greenberg but condensed down, although your primary expectation from your team will likely be just doing daily orders/notes/admission & discharge stuff.