First salary out of radiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PSamP

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Everyone who has graduated from a rads residency please answer:
1. What was your salary/vacation the first year?
2. How much did it increase and over how many years?
3. Are all the jobs out the only ones that exist or are there opportunities through contacts to get a job, ie in academics? I notice there are almost no academic jobs out from good institutions. The only one is from mayo with a 100k starting salary???
4. Which fellowship is most lucrative?

Many thanks

Members don't see this ad.

3. Are all the jobs out the only ones that exist or are there opportunities through contacts to get a job, ie in academics? I notice there are almost no academic jobs out from good institutions. The only one is from mayo with a 100k starting salary???

Many thanks
This would probably be better placed in a private forum of sorts.

As far academics jobs, none of the hires at my institution were posted. I imagine they only get posted if demanded by HR somewhere.

You can look up academic job salaries. Just google University of X salary lookup and search for a faculty members name. Probably not the total salary, but a start for information.

Members don't see this ad :)
VA radiologists salaries www.fedsdatacenter.com (search by name assuming you know a radiologist at the VA). Can search all medical specialties and non-medical gov't VA employees here too.

Thanks a lot for all replies!!!!

Shark do you have any input?

This would probably be better placed in a private forum of sorts.

As far academics jobs, none of the hires at my institution were posted. I imagine they only get posted if demanded by HR somewhere.
So how do you get a job in academics in that case?

You can look up academic job salaries. Just google University of X salary lookup and search for a faculty members name. Probably not the total salary, but a start for information.
I've tried it for MGH but it doesn't work. I don't get any reliable page for it? Any suggestion? Thanks

Many thanks

Nobody will tell you his/her salary on a public forum.

The salaries are very different depending on the type of practice, geographic location and local competition. One radiologist may make 2x the other one even within 10 miles of each other. Nothing different than any other medical field.

Vacation time is also very different in different groups.

There are fair number of academic openings every year. I don't know where did you get your info about lack of academic opening. You statement may be true for a certain institution in one year. But generally speaking academic centers are expanding and hire more physicians including radiologists. I personally have heard about at least 5 academic job openings this year just in UC system and I am not following the academic jobs so it is likely more than this in California.

What is your definition of lucrative?

I agree with everything Shark2000 said above.

Answers to your questions below:

We generally refrain from posting salaries online. While everything is highly variable from one practice to another, I can generalize as follows: For private practice, they were overall still very high this year :) and what you would expect for radiologists but you have a very very busy workday. If you are on a partnership track, it might start off slightly below avg, increase by about 25k each yr for the first 3 yrs, but then increase to about 1.7x of the starting salary on yr 4. Vacation on avg was around 7-8 wks, some as high as 12 wks for IR, but as low as 4-5 wks for NYC. For academics, I would say the salary is decent though lower than private practice and the volume is still busy but not as busy as a private practice. If you went into academics, you would be making the avg salary of a doctor not going into radiology. Vacation was around 4-5 wks.

See above.

Most (>75%) found jobs on online radiology bulletin boards like ACR or RSNA. Others found their jobs through word of mouth or cold calling. Most (>75%) went into private practice, around 20% into community hospitals, and maybe around <5% into hardcore academics. I saw academic jobs posted for almost every prestigious academic center, including MGH, BWH, Hopkins, Penn, Columbia, NYU, Sinai, WashU, Case Western, and Stanford. Some were ER (predominantly evening/overnight) though there were also a good number of jobs for normal daytime hours. Most people I knew did not apply to the evening jobs because they did not like the hours, and most did not apply to the daytime jobs because of the research expectation and lower salary. The starting salary is definitely not 100k lol. Many academic places have a low base salary of around 100-150k but then more than double that with annual bonus money to bring the total salary to something that would expect an academic radiologist to make.

IR is the most lucrative while mammo has the potential for the nicest lifestyle but it takes a certain type of person/personality to go into either (i.e., not me!). Most private practice positions tended be generalist positions, where you read a little bit of every modality and do basic procedures (such as breast biopsies). There were some, but very few, private practice jobs that only let you read studies in only your fellowship area of expertise and these tended to be in large mega practices (e.g., in Florida or Texas).

Last edited:
I'll would agree with everything except the "most lucrative" and "most in demand" part for Breast/Mammo.

I'm not aware of any practice that pays mammo more than other fellowship-trained radiologists. Usually it's IR that is compensated extra. Breast/Mammo may be the best lifestyle though (if you can tolerate the work).

I would also argue that IR is equally, if not more, "in demand" compared with Breast/Mammo. But both are #1 and #2. Frankly, the demand for mammographers seems to stem from the fact that most practicing radiologists don't want to do it - not because there's a growing demand for it or because it brings in significant revenue (in some practices it's actually a money loser).

I agree with everything Shark2000 said above.

Breast/mammo was the most lucrative/nicest lifestyle and most in demand but it takes a certain type of person/personality to go into it. Most private practice positions tended be generalist positions, where you read a little bit of every modality and do basic procedures (such as breast biopsies). There were some, but very few, private practice jobs that only let you read studies in only your fellowship area of expertise and these tended to be in large mega practices (e.g., in Florida or Texas).

You raise a good point. I have edited my post to agree with you.

I'll would agree with everything except the "most lucrative" and "most in demand" part for Breast/Mammo.

I'm not aware of any practice that pays mammo more than other fellowship-trained radiologists. Usually it's IR that is compensated extra. Breast/Mammo may be the best lifestyle though (if you can tolerate the work).

I would also argue that IR is equally, if not more, "in demand" compared with Breast/Mammo. But both are #1 and #2. Frankly, the demand for mammographers seems to stem from the fact that most practicing radiologists don't want to do it - not because there's a growing demand for it or because it brings in significant revenue (in some practices it's actually a money loser).

Overall, radiology still has it pretty good. Some of my friends in ophtho working in a major city are starting at 180k, which I found shocking!

I have a breast surgeon friend who makes around 180 in coastal SoCal two years out of fellowship. Rads have it good indeed

Overall, radiology still has it pretty good. Some of my friends in ophtho working in a major city are starting at 180k, which I found shocking!

But they get robust pay raises as they progress in their careers.

Reactions: 1 user
Not always. They often have to build up enough patients on their roster and meet certain RVUs to justify the salary.