First MCAT Score vs Second

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OneWayTrack

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, so I've been wondering this and I keep getting differing opinions. I haven't taken my MCAT yet but how do DO schools look at applicants with a low first MCAT score but a stellar second MCAT score? Any personal experiences?

I know that the most recent score is taken no matter what but could an applicant's first low score be taken into consideration by the committee?

Members don't see this ad.

They see all scores. It's better to do it right the first time.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on the school, some average scores, some take most recent, and some will just take the highest out of the two. Each school usually says on their website what their rule is.
Okay thank you I think I might either push back my MCAT date then since I feel that I'm not quite ready. I was thinking about taking it then voiding it, what's your opinion on voiding in general?

Don't ever plan on multiple takes. MCAT prep is seriously hell and you should do everything you can to only take it once. Do it right the first time.

Reactions: 2 users
Don't ever plan on multiple takes. MCAT prep is seriously hell and you should do everything you can to only take it once. Do it right the first time.

I agree. Besides statistically you will only improve a couple points if you improve at all.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
I would definitely not take it until you are ready, I only took it once but I shudder when I think about my life if I had to go through all that again. Although there is a point where you're prepared as you can be and you start to psych yourself out. This happened to me when I was studying, I pushed it back a little too far and my practice scores actually dropped towards the end. Wait until you're consistently hitting where you want on your practice tests/passages then slay that beast.

Reactions: 1 users