first MCAT practice test without studying. Advice on score and studying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mishandle

Reaction score
I just took a free Princeton review MCAT test just to see where I am at, and where I really need to focus my studying.

I scored a 498 on the test. Is this an ok place to start off for not having studied? My goal is to get a 510-513 range to be competitive for admissions. Any advice would be appreciated.

Subscores:
Chem/Physc foundations: 122
CARS: 124
Biological/Biochem: 123
Psych: 125

Members don't see this ad.

To get a better idea how to guide your studies, you might want to take the unscored practice exam from AAMC. AAMC materials are written in the style of the MCAT and the questions you see are worded in a way you will see on your MCAT. The score you get on the MCAT will be in part the result of how well you know the material and how well you are able to figure out what they are asking. Don't lose sight of this when you study and keep in mind that the most accurate predictors of how you will do are the four AAMC scored practice exams.

Good luck!

I just took a free Princeton review MCAT test just to see where I am at, and where I really need to focus my studying.

I scored a 498 on the test. Is this an ok place to start off for not having studied? My goal is to get a 510-513 range to be competitive for admissions. Any advice would be appreciated.

Subscores:
Chem/Physc foundations: 122
CARS: 124
Biological/Biochem: 123
Psych: 125
Yup! That free test is designed for you to score right around where you did taking it cold. Notice that they widely advertise a 510 score guarantee. A 12 point increase after taking a class, starting from a 498, is right around where anyone applying themselves would end up. The only practice test truly representative are the ones from AAMC, and you can't get an accurate gauge of how you'll do until AFTER you have done all the prep work.

A 498 cold on a free test from a test prep company really doesn't mean anything one way or the other. You're right where anyone would be taking that test before starting to study.

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't care about your first diagnostic score at all. The diagnostic test I use with my students is the NextSteps half-length exam, and I have had students starting out with scores like ~480 end up with 515+, while I've also had students with scores closer to 500 see only minor improvement. As long as you're willing to put in the effort, a 515 is realistic. A general study plan should have mainly content review in the first half, and then tons of practice in the second half. I would say that the average student should spend ~300+ hours total studying for the exam, but if you have more time to spend, then more practice will only lead to better results.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Members don't see this ad :)
You're not applying this cycle I assume.
494 or 498, whatever you got, is fine to start.
Everyone wants a 510+, but few reach it. Put in the work for 4 months and see where you get.

The most valuable resources around are the AAMC Full-Length Practice Exams because they are very close predictors of your score. I would sprinkle those in throughout your studies to see your progress and determine if you're close to a score you'd be comfortable with. While all the test companies that put out tests are good resources for test-taking, I'm not sure anyone has truly mastered the scoring system for each section. That being said, NextStep, TPR, Altius etc. tests are great to get a lot of practice.