First Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was able to get through to Brown on Monday....keep trying, or maybe email the secretary explaining your difficulty. They sound out a ton of interview invites and are probably swamped with calls.

ej

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks, exjersey. I am going to try again tomorrow.

I have heard from all 6 IM-psych programs I have applied to (UVa, Tulane, Duke, Dartmouth, Rush, IOwa).

I am wondering if anyone out there has a comment on which are more balanced and which ones have been around longer (I think longevity is key). Unfortunately, this info. is not complete on the web. Also, I need to narrow down interviews for both IM and IM-psych, which is a bit of an issue when IM-psych are 2-day interviews.

Gracias.
-S.

I heard a rumor that Darmoth has been without an IM chair for 2 years and a few of the residents/interns are leaving the program to switch to other programs. Anyone knows why?

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by grouptherapy
standard letter that SIU sends out. they want to offer you an interview, but they also want to gauge the seriousness of your intent to go to there. they prefer applicants to stay and practice in the underserved rural areas. i don't believe you are contractually obligated to do so however. if you have an interest in SIU, send the requested essay asap. just know that what you write will probably be brought up during the interview and you must be prepared to defend/reaffirm your statement. good luck.

Thanks alot

Originally posted by LGIobsruct
johnd,

as for letters- everyone gets letters that say you're the greatest,you ran the service, you're so smart, I mean come on! Unless the program knows the reccommender well, they are all the same.

I've been visiting this site a lot to see which programs have begun offering invitations, I appreciate all of your input and congradulate those who have been invited to places like Cornell and UC. Well done.

I received a fair number of invites a while ago (none not already mentioned), but things have become conspicuously quiet for the last week or so. I really hope I'm still in the running after the Dean's letter is released.

Anyhow, I just felt the above quotation was pretty far off the mark, and wanted to throw my two cents in...

In my opinion, LOR seem to be an immensely important part of one's application. As students, it seems we are likely to overestimate the importance of numerical standings while under-estimating how important things like research/volunteer experiences and recommendations are.

While residency is a continuation of our education, it is also a job, and numbers are generally not a good marker of how well one will perform in a working environment. In this sense, LOR seem critical in conveying how competent and reliable a candidate will be in a particular program.

Moreover, not all LORs are created equal. Sure, if your letter writers doesn't really know you all that well, the recommendation will be easily forgetten regardless of whatever accolades it may contain. On the other hand, if your letter is from someone that knows you well on both an academic and personal level, such a recommendation can speak volumes.

Good luck to Everyone!
;)

BU came today.

Originally posted by notimg11
BU came today:clap:
Did NYU download MSPEs yet?

Also got BU today and Georgetown on Friday (finally, some classmates heard many weeks ago).

NYU hasn't downloaded my MSPE - they were also very late in downloading the rest of my application, so I wouldn't be surprised if it takes them a couple of days.

Just got Boston U today too. This is really annoying, because none of the other boston programs have invited me. I would have thought that I would have at least gotten one from Tufts (New England medical center). Will someone post the dates that tufts in interviewing up? If they are compatible with boston and I get an interview there too, I might make the trip. Otherwise, I'm thinking that I might not go.

Originally posted by ckent
Just got Boston U today too. This is really annoying, because none of the other boston programs have invited me. I would have thought that I would have at least gotten one from Tufts (New England medical center). Will someone post the dates that tufts in interviewing up? If they are compatible with boston and I get an interview there too, I might make the trip. Otherwise, I'm thinking that I might not go.

Interview Dates for Tufts - NEMC

Tuesday, 11-25-03

Tuesday, 12-2-03
Thursday, 12-4-03
Tuesday, 12-9-03
Thursday, 12-11-03
Tuesday, 12-16-03
Thursday, 12-18-03
Tuesday, 12-23-03
Tuesday, 12-30-03

Tuesday, 1-6-04
Thursday, 1-8-04
Tuesday, 1-13-04
Thursday, 1-15-04
Tuesday, 1-20-04
Thursday, 1-22-04
Tuesday, 1-27-04

Anyone have a valium the size of a hockey puck for me?

havent heard from The Ohio State, did they send an email or us mail?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey classswitch, mind sharing what institution you are from? You can PM me if you prefer. Thanks and congrats!

Originally posted by ClassSwitch
Got the Brigham today! :) :) :)

Got

Stanford
U of Chicago
UNC Chapel Hill

in the last week.

domino, would you mind posting your stats, etc...if you're more comfortable, you could pm me too...thanks! i am really hoping for the uchicago interview....

domino, same here (as asm3). i'm a westcoast kid and interested in stanford. thanks!

junior AOA
>255 Step1
not at "big name" med school

don't worry- it's possible. i just got stanford yesterday, and i am by no means a star candidate: non-AOA, <240 step I, no research, good (but not great) med school. i'm hoping this means that maybe my recs are good? who knows. this process is very random. good luck.

Submitted my App Oct 31 (less than a week ago, eak!).

So far:
UNC
Wake Forest
UT-San Antonio

Anxiously Awaiting (in this order):
Duke
Brigham & Women's
Coumbia
UTSW
Baylor
UT-Houston

No AOA!
Step 1: 243
Step 2: 235

hey. i thought you weren't going to post here anymore. anyway, nice to see you're not holding your boyfriend down as much as you thought. good luck.

so far i got:

brown
georgetown
u maryland
wake
unc
emory
baylor
northwestern
u michigan

anxiously awaiting: vanderbilt, columbia, cornell, nyu, ucsd, ucla, stanford, ucsf

step 1: <240
not aoa
some research but nothing published
i think my school is decent and we've matched well in the last 2 years

i agree with nycgirl, this process seems totally random.

Has anybody heard around when we should give up all hope of receiving an interview? My app has been complete (with the Nov 1st deans letter) for a few days now, and I haven't had much movement on my interview list besides BU. I'm still awaiting competetive places like Cornell, Columbia, Wash U, JHU, etc, and I also haven't heard from many mediocre places like JHU Bayview, Tufts, etc. I wish that places would e-mail us to let us know if they aren't planning on interviewing us so that we can finalize our interview schedule/traveling plans.

ticker and ckent,
i'm in the same boat! i'd like to hear from the remainder soon to finalize and narrow down some of the choices. it's not an easy decision to make when you're not playing with a "full deck." my advisor said to finalize after nov. 15 (mid-Nov.) (i.e., cancel interviews that are not going to be high-yield).

-S.

I think many of us were envisioning a flood of invites after Nov. 1, but it's only been three days since programs have been looking at our apps since receiving the Dean's Letter (doubt selection commitees were meeting over the weekend). I guess this means they are actually taking the time to read the damn things.

Based upon last years thread on this topic, it looks like people were steadily getting invites to programs throughout November. No reason to give up hope quite yet.

ej

2 more:

Brigham
Northwestern

>Hey classswitch, mind sharing what institution you are from?
>You can PM me if you prefer. Thanks and congrats!

Questionable "big name" school here, depending on whom you talk to.

Regarding post-Dean's letter interview invites: a good friend of mine in IM at Stanford said not to even start worrying till Thanksgiving-ish for some of the bigger name schools (and I don't think this person was just trying to make me feel better). And we're all IM, not derm, so it's not like we won't be at least decently pleased wherever we end up matching. :)

relax everyone--it's still early! out of curiosity, i went back in time to the old posts from a year ago and it was funny how things repeat themselves! so i really encourage everyone to check them out.

congrats to the select few for getting interviews to the top-tier places, but for the rest of us mere mortals, i've compiled a general list based on last yr's trends. since the places that offered interviews early (pre-Dean's letter) generally appears to be the same as this year, I figured it would be a good barometer of how places worked (i'm sure that since this is yearly, PDs and their committees must follow some well-tread routines!). but as mentioned already, interview invites for places like BWH, MGH, and UWash didn't come until the LAST wk of Nov!

anyways, early rejections may start coming within the next couple of days for: UNC, Penn, Duke, Michigan, Stanford. Already, we know that these places have already invited some applicants.

2nd wk post Dean's ltr: rejections for UCSF, JHU, Baylor, more Stanford. UCSD, Yale, and Columbia sent out a lot of invites at this time last yr. Interestingly, MGH sent out an email at this time last yr asking potential applicants that if they were interested in interviewing at MGH, to select a potential date, but that there were no guarantees of ultimately landing an interview.

3rd wk post Deans to end of Nov: MGH, BWH, UWash sent out rejections, along with invites.

Early Dec- UCLA invites sent out. 2000 applicants last yr.

there...my very very rough Cliffs notes version to what happened last yr for the big name places.

best of luck to all (especially to the mere mortals!)
:laugh: :D

thanks for reviewing the history, guys. yup, it does repeat itself: UCSF rejection this evening by email (when "Bridge Over Troubled Water" was playing on the radio). yes, i fall into the mere mortals category, so i totally understand!

Still have to hear from others (UWash, WashU, Stanford, BWH/MGH, Yale, Cornell, U of Chicago, Vandy).
-S.

well if UCSF sends out rejections 2 weeks post-Dean's Letter, then I must be ahead of the curve, since I just got my first rejection from their categorical program.

SF is too cold and foggy anyway.....

Most happy to report that I received Brigham today. Whew.

It really is going to be hard to schedule. I have one NYC (Cornell) and 1 Boston. I expect several more in these areas, so it's hard to start doing the flights. I did get the Cornell interview locked in today. How will there be enough time in January to see all the spots? I'm doing Michigan, Duke, Wash U and Emory in November and December, but January is my month off.

Concerning JH....... It says on their web site that they will not be reviewing until later in the month. Geez.

Originally posted by sanfilippo
thanks for reviewing the history, guys. yup, it does repeat itself: UCSF rejection this evening by email (when "Bridge Over Troubled Water" was playing on the radio). yes, i fall into the mere mortals category, so i totally understand!

Still have to hear from others (UWash, WashU, Stanford, BWH/MGH, Yale, Cornell, U of Chicago, Vandy).
-S.

Pretty funny how we can predict when rejections should come in now. Same rejection from UCSF tonight. My post-dean's letter days have not been going well at all so far. Have only gotten rejections. I have turned from eagerly waiting for emails from programs (for invitations) to now actually having sighs of relief when my inbox is empty. Talk about being in denial.

Anyway, sanfilippo, maybe the fact that you haven't heard from Stanford is a good thing. A rejection from Stanford was the first thing on my computer when I got home last night (after some idiot rear-ended my car, talk about a bad evening for me).

Seriously man... Took BW and stanford rejection yesterday too. Bastards... oh well, it's only money and bruising of ego. :(

Hey I thank those that answered my questions (there are a couple of you).

Renovar, didnt you do pretty well on step 1 (something like >235)? How come stanford jacked you? I'm a 2nd yr so I still have a lot of time to benefit from knowing what is important to get into residency (esp cali residencies since I want to stay here).

Originally posted by Renovar
Seriously man... Took BW and stanford rejection yesterday too. Bastards... oh well, it's only money and bruising of ego. :(

No, somehow I was spared from that black-list. But what does it all mean? Renovar has great stats yet was rejected by Stanford?! Sure, Hop Toad has gotten all the invites so far, but he (or she) is an anomaly. I mean, most of us, as exjersey and 1996 have alluded to, have done reasonably well, but did not make AOA for whatever reason (at my school it's a bit of a travesty the selection criteria), and do not come from top-tier medical schools. I think I have done reasonably well coming from a relatively large class where no one is catered to and to do well you have to do it yourself. Furthermore, I never played the sycophant role on my rotations; I am sure it hurt me with soem of the residents, but I made up for my shelf exams. Okay, enough of my vitriolic...

I am very glad to have gotten some invites that I have gotten (Michigan, Pitt, Northwestern). I was rejected by NWU med school without an interview. Now I am just grateful to be considered. I am also grateful to have snagged invites at all 6 of my med-psych programs (including Duke, which I was thinking would reject my non-non-pareil ass).

We'll see. Glad to commisserate with y'all. GOOD LUCK! will keep you posted.

-S.

Originally posted by profunda
Hey I thank those that answered my questions (there are a couple of you).

Renovar, didnt you do pretty well on step 1 (something like >235)? How come stanford jacked you? I'm a 2nd yr so I still have a lot of time to benefit from knowing what is important to get into residency (esp cali residencies since I want to stay here).

Here is my theory: the bottom line for some of these top IM programs, as I am finding out, is more based on med school and AOA than boards. Applicants to top IM programs generally have at least one of the three characteristics:

1. You go to a top 10 med school on either coast (slight disadvantage if you are from the South/central/texas and applying to the coasts), you can be mediocre (just not below average) and still get interviews everywhere. The coasts tend to like their own.

2. You are AOA anywhere, you get these interviews.

3. If you are neither, you better have good boards, good DL, connections, pubs, good reccs, some relationship with the program you are applying to (ie. externships), and just apply and hope for the best.

USMLE apparently mattered for a lot more for surgical subspecialties compared to medicine, where seems like a threshold, rather than linear approach is used. And, every year, LOTS of people are going to have the 230's or 240's or whatever, and everyone is going to apply to the same top 10 or top 20 or whatever places. And be realistic, no one with a 190 is going to apply to MGH or Stanford and expect to get an interview. Most of those top places have a lot of self-selected applicants and the same applicants are pretty much competing for the selected top 10 or so programs. You win some, you lose some. Obviously if you have all 3 factors above, you will win a lot more than you lose. Note, USMLE is a small part in the picture.

On the rejection email, Stanford said they get 1500+ apps for 250 interview slots - what does it say about the importance of AOA? BW apparently only interview about 15% of their applicants too. Bottom-line, good scores dont mean much for top IM programs the same way SATs are for top colleges and MCATs are for top med schools.

PS: I am not bitter at all with those rejections. I expected some rejections all along. I would be estatic if I am interviewed at one of those places, but I am not holding my breathe because of them. There are some high-end places where I consider I should get interviews (ie. based on the previous graduates of my med school, where they stood in their graduating class, and where they get interviewed/matched), and those are the ones I am really waiting for.

Wow. 250 interviews for 29 spots?!? They must go really down the match list to fill. Has anyone heard how far down a rank list a particular school has gone?

Originally posted by drlard
Wow. 250 interviews for 29 spots?!? They must go really down the match list to fill. Has anyone heard how far down a rank list a particular school has gone?

They dont rank all interviewees.

From what I have heard they only rank maybe 100.

Renover, you mentioned school name is important. However, previously you also stated your school name was top 15 (I think you said vanderbilt). How come the school name didnt help you here?

Originally posted by profunda
Renover, you mentioned school name is important. However, previously you also stated your school name was top 15 (I think you said vanderbilt). How come the school name didnt help you here?

East coast-west-coast bias.

To recap:

Invites so far - Brigham & Women's, UCSF, Yale, WashU, Northwestern, U of Chicago, Brown, Baylor, Dartmouth

Waiting to hear - Mass General, Stanford, Duke, UPenn, U of Washington, U of Colorado

Guys and gals, it's all a big crapshoot. Some of y'all heard from some schools on the above list weeks before I did, and in turn I've heard from some places before other applicants who've been willing to post on this thread. At least a couple places from which I haven't heard, many of y'all have already gotten invites from. But in the end it don't really mean a whole heckofalot. One of my friends a few years ago had a Step I score that I would've given my right testicle/ovary for (one point below maximum, whatever that is -- way above mine), was interviewed everywhere (and I mean everywhere), and wherever he went, the residents and interviewers all complimented him on his amazing Step I score. Then match day came, and to his chagrin he got one of his lesser favored picks (as far as I know it wasn't one of his top three choices). Another thing to note is that since every program has a different flavor, different programs naturally will look for different things. The Brigham, from what I've been told, is heavy on the research side of things, and that's one avenue of my application I feel comfortable with. But other schools that look for sheer clinical prowess might not look on my file with quite as much favor -- which actually works out well on both ends, because even though I'm applying to some primary care programs, and even though I really want patient care to be a big part of my professional life, ultimately I probably wouldn't be totally happy training at a place where others didn't share the same level of interest in research as I have.

Dang classswitch, you're the pimp. thanks for sharing.

i think this thread is really helping me see what is priority for IM residency, and i'm sure more will uncover as the season goes until april.

Originally posted by drlard

It is not uncommon for programs, even top programs, to go very far down their list to fill their spots. Remember, a large portion of the 250 who interviewed at Stanford are probably the same group that interviewed at MGH, BW, Hopkins, Penn, Wash U, etc. That's why they have to interview so many and rank so many people. Having said that, my PD told me that not one IM program in this country can afford to rank anything less than 2-2.5x their class size, and most programs rank a lot more than that.

As far as exactly how far down the list any particular program goes, I've heard rumors that U Penn went all the way down to ~170 one year to fill all their spots, and it doesn't sound like it is at all uncommon for IM programs, including top, competitive programs, to have to go that far down the rank list to fill their class.

I got my first rejection today...from UCSF...damn it! I thought I would it least get an interview. My numbers- 246 on Step 1 and AOA from a mid-tier (ie. not UTSW or Baylor) state med school in Texas. Just goes to prove/disprove some of Renovars theories. By the way, the rejection letter said..."we get 40 applicants for every position...thus we are unable to see all the wonderful applicants." Good luck to all of you. Crypt

Haven't heard anything since Monday. At this point, I just wish that something was coming in.

I got a rejection from BW post DL.

I'm agreeing that whole process is sounding more haphazard after reading each post. We have AOA/high Step 1 people being rejected immediately from top programs like Stanford and BWH and there are those non-AOA/decent Step 1 people who have not heard anything either way from the very same places.

Go fig.
-S.:rolleyes:

As I sit here clicking the reload button on my browser (I am THAT sad:) this thought came to me. Perhaps people who already received their invites/rejections could share the first letter of their last name or at least the relative place in the alphabet to help verify or refute that theory.