First gen?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SaharaGirl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
both my parents did not go to college, but my uncles & aunts did. Do I ahve any advantage here? Do I consider as a first gen college since my parents are not college grads?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes you are considered first gen. My mom and dad are not college grads. But my aunts are doctors (all thanks to the help of my father and they do crap for him now) and my school still considers me first gen and I receive grants because of this. I don't know if there are "advantages" to this but med schools do take that into consideration.
Posted via Mobile Device

both my parents did not go to college, but my uncles & aunts did. Do I ahve any advantage here? Do I consider as a first gen college since my parents are not college grads?

You are considered a first generation college student. Med schools do take that info into consideration, but it doesn't confer any significant advantage. It's more like extra info on a person's background. It came up in a few of my interviews, but only briefly and because it had to do with other things on my application too.