first day of pod school....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j0ez0r

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
nm

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How do the lectures and volumes of material tought during a single class session contrast from undergrad lectures? Do they just throw Powerpoint presentations on the wall crammed with thousands of small lines of text, etc.? Are you going to have to just memorize each paragraph word-for-word?

Just curious as to the intensity as compared to college...

just sat through my first biochem lecture here at dmu. have two more today. hard to believe we already have a test next wednesday.... my free time has just fallen off the map. :(

Congrats on your Day 1:claps::clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
just sat through my first biochem lecture here at dmu. have two more today. hard to believe we already have a test next wednesday.... my free time has just fallen off the map. :(

I still remember my first day (in the MEC at the time). And yes, your free time is gone!!!

we just had our "first day of classes" at OCPM. The anatomy lab was fabulous....oh how I love the smell of formaldehyde!

How do the lectures and volumes of material tought during a single class session contrast from undergrad lectures? Do they just throw Powerpoint presentations on the wall crammed with thousands of small lines of text, etc.? Are you going to have to just memorize each paragraph word-for-word?

Just curious as to the intensity as compared to college...

ill get back to ya in about a week lol with that answer.... i know itll really pick up when we add on anatomy to our schedule here in a couple of weeks

I don't duck hard physical tasks but man I'm sure leery of having to sit there, and base a grade upon a lecture and if I'm lucky enough to "read/study" the right info to be tested. Seems like a crapshoot to me. Undergrad classes were annoying enough with profs making all kinds of dipsy doodle questions designed to take a student's grade into the toilet. I can well imagine that this isn't much better at the next level, despite everyone's claim that these guys WANT you to succeed. I still have my reservations, as well you should as well. Don't believe the hype that these teachers have no egos themselves and can't be a bit jealous that they're teaching YOU, while you stand to potentially make a ton MORE money after THEY worked to train you through. Just fyi...

Think about that realistic fact for a second, prior to spouting off some emotional charged comment or tirade vs. my opinion on the matter. And also don't go ranting, just because you disagree with ME, that I AM the lunatic ranting on here. I welcome opposing points of view and their arguments but not just bizarre insults or "go be a DC", or some other supposedly "well thought" defense of why I am wrong in your eyes. And finally, thanks to those on here that can present a cogent, logical defense of their differing thoughts.

I don't duck hard physical tasks but man I'm sure leery of having to sit there, and base a grade upon a lecture and if I'm lucky enough to "read/study" the right info to be tested. Seems like a crapshoot to me. Undergrad classes were annoying enough with profs making all kinds of dipsy doodle questions designed to take a student's grade into the toilet. I can well imagine that this isn't much better at the next level, despite everyone's claim that these guys WANT you to succeed. I still have my reservations, as well you should as well. Don't believe the hype that these teachers have no egos themselves and can't be a bit jealous that they're teaching YOU, while you stand to potentially make a ton MORE money after THEY worked to train you through. Just fyi...

Think about that realistic fact for a second, prior to spouting off some emotional charged comment or tirade vs. my opinion on the matter. And also don't go ranting, just because you disagree with ME, that I AM the lunatic ranting on here. I welcome opposing points of view and their arguments but not just bizarre insults or "go be a DC", or some other supposedly "well thought" defense of why I am wrong in your eyes. And finally, thanks to those on here that can present a cogent, logical defense of their differing thoughts.

Then don't go!!! How many times do you have to whine about this and that and list every single excuse followed by every single doubt concerning podiatry. I am begging you--do not go into podiatry!

No, I think you're way off. At least in my experience, the professors are all pretty specific about what you need to focus on for exams. And it's a lot easier to focus on their lectures than it is a 1000-page book of which they'll cover a chapter a lecture. Sure, you'll still have the occasional random question and some profs are better than others but you won't fail on account of them.

At least at the full-fledge medical schools like DMU (and I assume the few free-standing schools), the professors WANT to be there and are qualified to be there, most of them doing a ton of research for the university. They really enjoy their jobs and are paid extremely well (especially from the private schools). This is a huge contrast from undergrad where a lot of classes are controlled by grad students and assistant profs, some of who are miserable and jealous of you. Isn't it ironic that they REQUIRE some of these grad students to teach classes and they are horrible teachers?

Take it from someone who has been through it, your success or failure will be dictated by you and not by some crackpot professor! And though it is extremely difficult to get through (especially the first few years), it is doable.

Having said that, you know yourself better than anyone else. If you are one of those people that likes to "freak him/herself out", settle yourself down and realize that it will be fine. On the other hand, if you're seriously having doubts, take some time out to think about it before you make 150k mistake.

Like we give a Sh..t what you do or what you feel. Just get lost dude. you are diverting the topics of our precious threads. Go to student lounge or other threads and sing your saga there.

nm

Last edited:
My mood progression, by the hour, on my first day.

:hardy:-->:D-->:)-->:oops:--:mad:-->:cry:

Members don't see this ad :)
My mood progression, by the hour, on my first day.

:hardy:-->:D-->:)-->:oops:--:mad:-->:cry:

You go to Barry right? How's the new building working out? Are all the lectures there now? I heard they were not moving the anatomy lab (which I thought was pretty old and dingy).

You go to Barry right? How's the new building working out? Are all the lectures there now? I heard they were not moving the anatomy lab (which I thought was pretty old and dingy).

I'm at Temple. :D

And my progression of mood is solely based on how tiring everyone's first day is. :)

i think i did really well on it...should get the scores back today! :thumbup:

Oh my bad! So tell us about the first day please!!!!!!!!

I was good, overall. We had one of our professors give us a lecture on the history of podiatry and we did some administrative stuff.

The real stuff starts Monday with embryology @ 10.

So today was actual first day of class.

First off was neuroscience. We went over cell membranes today. It seems all fine and dandy...until you realize that all you talked about in A&P was the phospholipid bilayer. So now add in all of the ions on both sides and memorize their concentrations and osmolarity and you almost cry.

Then they add in equations. But it's not the adding of new material, even though you hate equations, it's the speed of the powerpoints whizzing before your eyes. It's sort of ungodly.

Shorthand is going to be very handy. :thumbup:

Now I'm not complaining because I knew what I was signing up for. But a lot of posters have asked the amount of material. It's the first day and we've done what seems like 2-3 days of work in undergrad in an hour. The professor didn't have enough time to cover EVERYTHING from the handout, so studying right after lecture will pay off. (I hope).

Tomorrow: neuroscience and histology. :D

nm

Last edited:
ive really enjoyed having glycolysis, citric acid cycle, gluconeo, pentose phosphate pathway, glycogen synthesis/degradation, blah blah blah in two days.... :scared:

not to mention we start anatomy wednesday

I don't have biochem until Jan! :banana:

Paired with LEA. :diebanana:

Tower: Ranger seven-four-four and flight, winds two-seven-zero at one-seven, cleared for takeoff runway three-one right

Thats right...pod school...not formation solo...I remember back in the days when I was a young buck...being nervous...until I claimed my space in the mens bathroom...claim it...make it yours...put your name on it...not your real name...your call sign...drop a big one then proceed with your day...this is the beginning of the best or worst time of your life...maybe I should write hallmark cards

Last edited:
nm

Last edited:
nm

Last edited:
First anatomy test tomorrow. Its set up in a marthonesque fashion...I do my lab practical starting at 7:15 a.m. with 42 stations, 2 questions per station, 1 minute/question. After this is over (roughly 1 1/2 hours) get a 15 minute break and then go take the 80-something question written exam....HOLY CRAP! not looking forward to it but ready to get it over with....

headed with some friends tomorrow afternoon up to La Crosse, Wisconsin for their Oktoberfest celebration!!! Thats the only thing that keeps my head up at this point. :thumbup:
Hey, is Frank Kneussl still teaching at DMU?

nm

Last edited:
I'm probably not a good person to ask since I a newbie here, but the name doesnt ring a bell..definitely not on the pod staff
He was an Anatomy professor, so you'd have met him already. I was just curious since he was about 105 years old when I went to school and is probably about 145 now.

He was an Anatomy professor, so you'd have met him already. I was just curious since he was about 105 years old when I went to school and is probably about 145 now.

A pod I know who graduated in 2001 asked about Dr. Kneussl so I'm thinking he retired at the end of 2001. One of our faculty is a 2002 grad and didn't know who he was, but who knows.

LOL congrats on your first day. Let us know how this compares to college

nm

Last edited:
well biochemistry and "intro to pod" are over with. Feels nice to have 2 classes out of the way. Of course we just started cell bio that goes alongside anatomy..so no let up in sight, but heck got something out of the way! :thumbup:

thought i would pull this thread up. Well today is memorial day, and i am studying away at neurophysiology. Tomorrow morning at 8 a.m. is our last test of the year. When I walk out of that auditorium, i will be 1/4 dr. :laugh: But wow, i have learned a vast amount of knowledge. wahoo for no school until August 3rd, i desperately need this break. congrats to my fellow 1st years across the nation for surviving this year.

thought i would pull this thread up. Well today is memorial day, and i am studying away at neurophysiology. Tomorrow morning at 8 a.m. is our last test of the year. When I walk out of that auditorium, i will be 1/4 dr. :laugh: But wow, i have learned a vast amount of knowledge. wahoo for no school until August 3rd, i desperately need this break. congrats to my fellow 1st years across the nation for surviving this year.
Well done! What are your plans for the summer?

I started summer break on Friday! I'm so glad biochem is finally over. Our neurophys. final wasn't bad. Is yours cumulative?

Second year...here I come! :cool:

I started summer break on Friday! I'm so glad biochem is finally over. Our neurophys. final wasn't bad. Is yours cumulative?

Second year...here I come! :cool:

Congrats! What do you think about the SARP? I feel like I have a firm grasp of most of what they intend to go over as most of those topics are still somewhat fresh in my mind. Did you participate in it?

great job Joe! ... so how about evaluating the year just like how u did earlier in the thread when u evaluated ur frst couple of months? were u still able to keep the social life or had to give it up fully at a point ? was material doable? or did it reach a point where u just had to endure?

Congrats! What do you think about the SARP? I feel like I have a firm grasp of most of what they intend to go over as most of those topics are still somewhat fresh in my mind. Did you participate in it?

I didn't do SARP, but I don't think that I needed it. If the material is fresh, and you are used to a higher course credit load in undergrad, I would just enjoy the rest of the summer.

I think it's primarily made for students who have been away for a few years and want to get back some good study habits.

Your 1st semester won't be bad for a few weeks anyway. Gross starts with embryology for the first month, along with Neurophys, histo, and cardiophys. They will add courses successively, so you don't feel overwhelmed.

See you in a few weeks!

I didn't do SARP, but I don't think that I needed it. If the material is fresh, and you are used to a higher course credit load in undergrad, I would just enjoy the rest of the summer.

I think it's primarily made for students who have been away for a few years and want to get back some good study habits.

Your 1st semester won't be bad for a few weeks anyway. Gross starts with embryology for the first month, along with Neurophys, histo, and cardiophys. They will add courses successively, so you don't feel overwhelmed.

See you in a few weeks!

Thanks for the input MaseratiGT. I'll try to just relax and have fun this summer. I like the idea of adding classes in succession early on. See you soon.

Congrats! I wish we had that long of a break. We took our last test on Friday, and we have 2 weeks off before we are back at it again. Our credit load this summer isn't too bad it seems. But once again, congrats to everyone else who has made it through this first year!:thumbup:

nm

Last edited:
yeah, at DMU they try as hard as possible to not completely overwhelm you with several classes at once. It got really hard when we would be wrapping up a class, and starting another at the same time. In that case we would have physiology, pathology, neuroanatomy, and physical diagnosis going on at the same time. ROUGH. but for the most part we would have three classes at once for example. honestly, i stuck to the books during the week and sundays, but friday afternoon through sunday morning i would do whatever i felt like doing that weekend (going to lake, bars, other peoples apartments, you know...just whatever). As long as you keep up with the material and not get really behind, you will succeed. its hard though to keep up with all the lectures, since there are generally 4 a day, so 20 a week.

Classes like geriatrics, pathology, and other low credit hour classes arent so bad but they definitely take time. Anatomy, Physiology, Biochem, and Micro which are the higher credit hour classes for sure swallow up a ton of time and can feel outright rediculous.

Sometimes I would just want to throw in the towel on a test, but in the end i would buckle up and get through the material for the future good. When i stayed on top of the material i never had this problem.

Feel free to post any other questions about school, moving, or anything else you feel i might be able to answer. Look forward to meeting all the 1st years here in a few months. You will be getting your big-sib email in the next few weeks with tips/tricks on getting adjusted to DMU/Des Moines. Good luck to all, and enjoy your summer.

This is great advice for any Podiatry student.:thumbup:

yeah, at DMU they try as hard as possible to not completely overwhelm you with several classes at once. It got really hard when we would be wrapping up a class, and starting another at the same time. In that case we would have physiology, pathology, neuroanatomy, and physical diagnosis going on at the same time. ROUGH. but for the most part we would have three classes at once for example. honestly, i stuck to the books during the week and sundays, but friday afternoon through sunday morning i would do whatever i felt like doing that weekend (going to lake, bars, other peoples apartments, you know...just whatever). As long as you keep up with the material and not get really behind, you will succeed. its hard though to keep up with all the lectures, since there are generally 4 a day, so 20 a week.

Classes like geriatrics, pathology, and other low credit hour classes arent so bad but they definitely take time. Anatomy, Physiology, Biochem, and Micro which are the higher credit hour classes for sure swallow up a ton of time and can feel outright rediculous.

Sometimes I would just want to throw in the towel on a test, but in the end i would buckle up and get through the material for the future good. When i stayed on top of the material i never had this problem.

Feel free to post any other questions about school, moving, or anything else you feel i might be able to answer. Look forward to meeting all the 1st years here in a few months. You will be getting your big-sib email in the next few weeks with tips/tricks on getting adjusted to DMU/Des Moines. Good luck to all, and enjoy your summer.

Thanx for the frst hand advice joe!

I'm soooo jealous. We only get like 3 weeks at the end of July for vacation at OCPM :(

Are you a 1 of 4?

Last edited:
nm

Last edited:
Summer break is officially over tomorrow morning as we start pharmacology. The summer was very relaxing...drove all over the country (as far north as minnesota, as far south as mexico). Just got back from tubing the iowa river and camping there..great way to have a ton of fun right before school starts again. It feels as if we just got out of school for the summer, but i guess time flies when you're having fun.

Look forward to meeting all the incoming CPMS students this week. Hope orientation goes well...and get ready for biochem!

Chinese food time!

did u transfer ? i couldve sworn u went to DMU

CPMS is DMU, its just really close to CSPM in lettering. At least I think that's what you were thinking?