First day of Medical School and I'm Lost!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
lol, got called a gunner today because I memorized the AA structures

Someone was serious, and said that to your face?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Someone was serious, and said that to your face?

yes. It was weird, because we're P/F not ranked. We've been passing around study guides, mnemonics, tips, etc this whole week.

Is that a thing in biochem at your school? That's pretty unnecessary.

It isn't. I did it for me, because it helps me understand their properties. So, some people were having trouble linking the AAs to their properties (we have to know pKa and polarity, acid/base, aromatic or no, the one "imino acid"), and basically my suggestion was that if you're "chemically inclined" it might be easier to remember if you recognize the structures of the amino acids. At least, for me it did:shrug: I can't explain it, it just worked.

Members don't see this ad :)
lol, got called a gunner today because I memorized the AA structures

Man, I hate my class so much for using these terms completely wrong. "I studied for 8 hours today, such a gunner!" "Can any of the gunners let me know if this is due tomorrow?" "John is all caught up in Biochem! What a gunner!"

Also... "Dr. X asked me a question today in lab. I totally got pimped so hard." Our regular oral evaluations are referred to as pimping by the students (using the term completely seriously).

Sigh. I'm sure a part of it is in jest but it still sounds stupid.

Reactions: 1 users
Man, I hate my class so much for using these terms completely wrong. "I studied for 8 hours today, such a gunner!" "Can any of the gunners let me know if this is due tomorrow?" "John is all caught up in Biochem! What a gunner!"

Also... "Dr. X asked me a question today in lab. I totally got pimped so hard." Our regular oral evaluations are referred to as pimping by the students (using the term completely seriously).

The word gunner has been perverted so much (by hypocritical med students) it's pretty much lost all meaning at this point. It's why people just hold their cards to their chests and don't tell people what they're going for till MS-4.

yes. It was weird, because we're P/F not ranked. We've been passing around study guides, mnemonics, tips, etc this whole week.

It isn't. I did it for me, because it helps me understand their properties. So, some people were having trouble linking the AAs to their properties (we have to know pKa and polarity, acid/base, aromatic or no, the one "imino acid"), and basically my suggestion was that if you're "chemically inclined" it might be easier to remember if you recognize the structures of the amino acids. At least, for me it did:shrug: I can't explain it, it just worked.

Some people feel insecure, and they think you're trying to make them feel bad (when you're only telling what you did). I think it can be important to evaluate how what you said might have been perceived: but I'm moderately awkward and somewhat overly self-critical.

Having said that, from your end of the story, that guy/gal sounds like a gunner. I don't know if the term was originally a slur or not, but to me it's synonymous with blue falcon (or the military's even less polite version of the same term).

Criticizing someone else for studying sounds very gunner-esk. If you told me you memorized amino acid structures, I would shrug and move on. I would probably think you wasted your time. But I would never get angry over it....if you explained that it helped you remember things, I'd be happy for you.

To me, a gunner is someone who undermines others efforts, tries to claim credit, and acts two-faced in order to gain ground with people who "matter." If someone called me that in all seriousness...I don't think I'd talk to that person if I could avoid it. Definitely not about school.

The word gunner has been perverted so much (by hypocritical med students) it's pretty much lost all meaning at this point. It's why people just hold their cards to their chests and don't tell people what they're going for till MS-4.
Yeah, I know. I was called a gunner the other day by this guy after I told him I took anatomy in undergrad. It never crossed his mind that, perhaps, I was just interested in anatomy.

Yeah, I know. I was called a gunner the other day by this guy after I told him I took anatomy in undergrad. It never crossed his mind that, perhaps, I was just interested in anatomy.
LOL. I would have asked him directly if he even knows what the word "gunner" actually means.

Some people feel insecure, and they think you're trying to make them feel bad (when you're only telling what you did). I think it can be important to evaluate how what you said might have been perceived: but I'm moderately awkward and somewhat overly self-critical.

Having said that, from your end of the story, that guy/gal sounds like a gunner. I don't know if the term was originally a slur or not, but to me it's synonymous with blue falcon (or the military's even less polite version of the same term).

Criticizing someone else for studying sounds very gunner-esk. If you told me you memorized amino acid structures, I would shrug and move on. I would probably think you wasted your time. But I would never get angry over it....if you explained that it helped you remember things, I'd be happy for you.

To me, a gunner is someone who undermines others efforts, tries to claim credit, and acts two-faced in order to gain ground with people who "matter." If someone called me that in all seriousness...I don't think I'd talk to that person if I could avoid it. Definitely not about school.
I think you're right. The people who accuse others of being gunners are either gunners themselves or are just insecure about their own academic abilities.

knowing aa properties by their structure, holy hell, that is not gunning, that is being a genius.

LOL. I would have asked him directly if he even knows what the word "gunner" actually means.
I just played along with the idiot. I told him I've been shooting for neurosurgery for the last ten years ( like that girl who was on that cooking show) and some people listening in on the conversation started cracking up.

"Omg you know more than me? You're a gunner!" :p
Pretty much. It gets quite annoying. Someone who is #1 in their med school class is not by definition a "gunner".

Members don't see this ad :)
I just played along with the idiot. I told him I've been shooting for neurosurgery for the last ten years ( like that girl who was on that cooking show) and some people listening in on the conversation started cracking up.
Great response. Stupid remarks deserve responses that display how stupid they're being.

knowing aa properties by their structure, holy hell, that is not gunning, that is being a genius.

Maybe. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who hated orgo. The caveat with me is that I had to learn the structures for Orgo and then again for biochem in my post-bacc. So it was a quick review, and it's how I kept everything about them sorted in my head in the past. To me, it makes intuitive sense, but I imagine to others it just makes life complicated. I was just hoping I could make someone's life easier.

Maybe. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who hated orgo. The caveat with me is that I had to learn the structures for Orgo and then again for biochem in my post-bacc. So it was a quick review, and it's how I kept everything about them sorted in my head in the past. To me, it makes intuitive sense, but I imagine to others it just makes life complicated. I was just hoping I could make someone's life easier.
Yeah, I mean it would probably be helpful to some people, like yourself. It's an interesting way to go about it, that's for sure.

Pretty much. It gets quite annoying. Someone who is #1 in their med school class is not by definition a "gunner".

I don't know for sure who is #1 in my class, but I have 2 strong suspicions, and both are extremely nice and helpful people. And completely brilliant.

I can't say there's anyone in my class who satisfies the "strict definition" of one who sabotages others. There are certainly people who jump instantly at the first chance to show off or answer questions, which I find annoying and which I think has become the "standard definition" of gunner, but I think that's due to their own ego and competitive/outgoing personality, not really due to malice towards fellow students. And I completely admit that I find it annoying due to jealousy that I'm not as confident to blurt out an answer without thinking about it first, but it's definitely forced me to be more assertive during rounds, which is a good outcome.

No, it makes sense if that's what works for you. Just do you. And maybe don't tell anyone else in your class of your orgo prowess ;) The majority of the "gunner" label stems from jealousy.

No, it makes sense if that's what works for you. Just do you. And maybe don't tell anyone else in your class of your orgo prowess ;) The majority of the "gunner" label stems from jealousy.

I want to take credit for my orgo prowess, but it really belongs to the amazing chemistry teaching staff at my post-bacc. Them folks really know how to teach.

Well, I passed my first genetics exam, so that was nice. I don't know how I did on biochem, but despite everyone feeling terrible about it, it appears pretty much everyone passed, so I'm hopeful I'm not one of the few who didn't. Makes me think I can actually pass all the other classes.

Well, I passed my first genetics exam, so that was nice. I don't know how I did on biochem, but despite everyone feeling terrible about it, it appears pretty much everyone passed, so I'm hopeful I'm not one of the few who didn't. Makes me think I can actually pass all the other classes.
I'm sure times like these going to a "true" P/F school helps.

I was called a gunner for SHARING my notes.

seriously??

I have some gunners in my school. For instance, my computer was stolen during our first block half way through. A couple people offered me their notes (publicly). When I went to ask them to share they kept making excuses as to why they couldn't. Ie their one note wasn't letting them, they didn't have a flash drive. One told me they took too much time making notes and didn't want to share (lol). Three people did this. Most med students I have met are fake, douchey people. I don't think its school dependent, the process attracts these types of folks.

3 tests down, still not that bad :)
Congrats, you finished 3 multiple choice exams, whoop.
2sREC.gif

Can you be more specific?
What he means is, are you this insufferable in real life?

I have some gunners in my school. For instance, my computer was stolen during our first block half way through. A couple people offered me their notes (publicly). When I went to ask them to share they kept making excuses as to why they couldn't. Ie their one note wasn't letting them, they didn't have a flash drive. One told me they took too much time making notes and didn't want to share (lol). Three people did this. Most med students I have met are fake, douchey people. I don't think its school dependent, the process attracts these types of folks.

I think it's bc so far those tactics have helped them become successful in premed. 9 times out of 10 those tactics don't work in med school esp. in the M3 year (something a premed would have no experience in). I also think your grading system comes into play.

Oh no! I'm not cool on an Internet forum. My life is over, I guess I'll just have to give up
Yup, keep it up, nice to see all that non-traditional experience (being a Rocket Scientist and all :rolleyes:) before medical school has contributed SO MUCH to your maturity. Believe it or not, you're absolutely no different than the traditional med students you mock. Suddenly, you think you're acing the game of med school bc you can ace 3 Anatomy/Histology/Biochem multiple choice exams? Bravo.

Yup, keep it up, nice to see all that non-traditional experience (being a Rocket Scientist and all :rolleyes:) before medical school has contributed SO MUCH to your maturity. Believe it or not, you're absolutely no different than the traditional med students you mock. Suddenly, you think you're acing the game of med school bc you can ace 3 Anatomy/Histology/Biochem multiple choice exams? Bravo.

Oh wise DermViser, who spends more time on SDN than real life, teach me how to succeed in life. I crave your godly nuggets of wisdom

Oh wise DermViser, who spends more time on SDN than real life, teach me how to succeed in life. I crave your godly nuggets of wisdom
jennifer-lawrence-oh-yeah-thumbs-up_zpsf7dc427e.gif

You already have all the answers, remember? You are a special non-traditional student who knows more than your fellow trads right? Teach the rest of us your exalted ways of how to work in teams, problem-solve, critically think, and analyze.

I love when people make this claim. Posting on SDN takes minimal time, and in the hospital there's plenty of downtime. I go 90% of my SDN posting from my phone when I have free time but don't feel like being productive. Posting isn't some kind of time-intensive activity.

Reactions: 7 users
I love when people make this claim. Posting on SDN takes minimal time, and in the hospital there's plenty of downtime. I go 90% of my SDN posting from my phone when I have free time but don't feel like being productive. Posting isn't some kind of time-intensive activity.
It's a great non sequitur though, when he doesn't have a cohesive argument to actually rebut what someone said. Of course, this whole thread which he started is a trolling thread to begin with, so I guess we're getting everything we expected.

Most med students I have met are fake, douchey people. I don't think its school dependent, the process attracts these types of folks.

Most seems like a strong word, but it's certainly a significant number of people and many more than I expected.

Reactions: 2 users

Really? The first few months of med school, we couldn't get people to STOP sharing their notes. Every freaking day there would be like ten emails of "hey guys I made this super awesome review sheet in case anyone thinks it would help!!!!"

It's what you do when you have no other argument and want to call someone a nerd on an internet forum

Really? The first few months of med school, we couldn't get people to STOP sharing their notes. Every freaking day there would be like ten emails of "hey guys I made this super awesome review sheet in case anyone thinks it would help!!!!"

Yeah, our school had a similar approach. Don't get me wrong, nearly all of it was very much appreciated, but sometimes they were provided in somewhat self-serving light (aka, "look how awesome I am!").

Reactions: 3 users
For some reason it was always the women who did it consistently - making charts, review sheets, study guides, etc.

Its not that bad?

the real question I have is......have you started Anatomy? Even the brightest students have issues with Anatomy.

If you say "yes" and that its "not that bad" then you sir are lying.

For some reason it was always the women who did it consistently - making charts, review sheets, study guides, etc.

i liked drawing things, and then taping the drawings all over the walls of my apartment sequentially, and then walking around in circles memorizing stuff in order.

Most seems like a strong word, but it's certainly a significant number of people and many more than I expected.
I was being a little unfair and judgy. You're right, it's not most. The thing is, these kinds of personalities tend to be the most vocal.

I was being a little unfair and judgy. You're right, it's not most. The thing is, these kinds of personalities tend to be the most vocal.
Those personalities tend to stand out the most in a class as well, regardless if they are vocal or not.

Seriously every 20 minutes during test week someone posts a new guide/mnemonic/chart/table on our facebook group.

Its not that bad?

the real question I have is......have you started Anatomy? Even the brightest students have issues with Anatomy.

If you say "yes" and that its "not that bad" then you sir are lying.

We do systems based and our MSK block was not bad at all. Week before the test I probably put in 40-60 hours but otherwise I was at 10-15 including lecture and lab.

I think being an experienced athlete/lifter was a huge advantage. I basically knew all the muscles of back/lower limb/upper limb already and their functions. Just learned innervation, blood supply, and the details.

Everyone keeps saying "yeah once you get past your first block everyone is on a level playing field...."

What about the people who did a SMP and basically took all the 1st year courses? Or people with MS in anatomy? Or post-bacc like myself who have done a good bit of advanced physio? Much more common than I would have thought.

yeah loll, so true..it takes a second to post. I have no idea what this thread is about. But i always post when i'm goofing around in the hospital and sometimes at home. I started going to forums because i thought, its so easy to communicate with not just people in your immediate surrounding, but people all over the world who have similar interests. I thought that was cool, it wasn't possible 50 years ago so why not take advantage of it now?!. its been fun getting to know some people here. #DeepThoughtsByPriapism

Ok back to work.

Yeah, our school had a similar approach. Don't get me wrong, nearly all of it was very much appreciated, but sometimes they were provided in somewhat self-serving light (aka, "look how awesome I am!").
THIS. Very much appreciated - but yes, so obvious.

yeah loll, so true..it takes a second to post. I have no idea what this thread is about.
It's Shjanzey's rolling trolling thread. Hence why he came back after 3 M1 exams to tell us how easy med school is - and how silly we are. He'll come again once he moves to the next block to remind us gain how easy med school is.