first day of internship....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

butterfl2005

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OMG. Is chaotic even the right word? the upper levels in my program were really helpful, but I was asked to be in 4 places at one time. So i just picked the most important one and worked my way down the list as it grew! and all of the babies look the same to me. i spoke to one mom twice about discharge! whoops. overall, not too bad.....i believe that i will get an awesome education where i am training. th epeople are great. learned so much even today. so busy. what is lunch??? jk - i did eat eventually. hopefully, it will get easier when i know where i'm supposed to be and how to get there. any experiences of your first day?

Members don't see this ad.

2 days of orientation, still haven't gotten a tour or a map. This is an issue since my hospital has 12 buildings, all interconnected with different numbering systems in each.

I suddenly during orientation have started to feel dumber than everyone else! I've never done or even seen done so many things that everyone else has done, I wonder what my seniors are going to think.

Oh well! Hopefully things come back to me real quick next week. I'm going to try not to worry too much in the mean time.

Butterfl2005, sounds like you learned quickly the importance of triage. Residents must do it on the floors all the time. I remember having a patient with chest pain, another with shortness of breath, and another who spiked a temp of 103 -- all at the same time while a trauma was going on. Nothing like triage, triage, triage!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a feeling my first day will be like butterfl2005's - I'm an FP intern who is starting off on a surgery rotation, and I haven't had any surgery since December of my MS-3 year. So it will more than likely be chaotic! Not looking forward to it at all :scared: I don't want July 1 to come!

DOtobe said:
I have a feeling my first day will be like butterfl2005's - I'm an FP intern who is starting off on a surgery rotation, and I haven't had any surgery since December of my MS-3 year. So it will more than likely be chaotic! Not looking forward to it at all :scared: I don't want July 1 to come!

internship sucked major ass...get ready to drop your pants, bend over at the waist, and grab your ankles...also have the right type of attitude and learn how to enjoy mental and physical pain...my favorite part of the day were the mornings...I loved trying to get 20 things done before morning report and learning how to talk diplomatically with the consultants who viewed you as nothing more than a stooge trying to make their lives miserable...just learn to suck it up and chalk it up to a learning experience...it really is the first day of the rest of your life!!!

yeah, you better enjoy it...try coding someone and being incessantly paged in the middle of a code by an angry nurse who wants you to ok an enema for a pt you are covering on the floor. She eventually files a report on me after paging 12 times in 5 minutes. How nice of her to go through all that trouble for little old me!!!!!! well, the enema never needed to be done; pt just needed some mag citrate and nurse just wanted the enema since she adored ( ;) ) the patient.

Moral of the story: There will be times you want to quit, but you can't b/c you have tons of debt and other people can take advantage of you. But look on the bright side (if you're doing another specialty), no more of that kind of BS after your intern year.