USMLE/COMLEX First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 Online - 2013-2014 Step 1 Review Course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 Online - 2013-2014 Step 1 Review Course

For TPW 2013 Apollo will be giving away Two (2) "USMLE Step 1 Review Courses - The Total Audio Package" and Two (2) "USMLE Step 2 Review Courses - The Total Audio Package" (a $349.95 value each) to 4 lucky SDN members! Winners for each raffle will be drawn from among the members who post questions or otherwise meaningfully contribute to the discussion. Good Luck on the 2013-2014 USMLE!

Why Choose First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 Online?

• This is the ONLY Licensed Online First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 Review for your 2013-2014 USMLE.
  • The online First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 is available on-demand, anywhere you have an internet connection.
  • Every subject is taught by real MD, PhD instructor with a firm grasp of subject matter.
  • The Video covers all the high-yield diagrams and figures in the text.

So, with First Aid Online, you get the Audio Input and the Visual Input the stimulate your senses and engage your mind for true First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 "Total Recall."

FREE USMLE Reviews & 40% OFF
Study On Your Schedule!

What Do You Get with First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 Online?

• Until-Your Exam Access to the complete First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 Online
  • PLUS A complete study plan for First Aid Step 1 Success
  • PLUS 24/7 high-quality, high-yield, streaming videos
  • PLUS Subject matter experts giving you in-depth Step 1 content

What is covered in First Aid for the USMLE Online Review?

This program covers THE ENTIRE FIRST AID FOR THE USMLE STEP 1 BOOK - that is All 600 plus pages - is covered in this on demand audio-video production for First Aid. That makes this program a true, comprehensive review of First Aid for your 2013 and 2014 USMLE Boards.

How is the First Aid Material Presented?

• Each subject is broken up into 15 to 20 minutes of digestible material
  • "Regular Speed," "1.5X Speed" and "2X Speed" of First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 Online are available
  • You decide at what pace you want to cover the Step 1 Online Review
  • Faculty covers each topic in detail
  • The graphics are presented.
  • First Aid for the USMLE outline text appears and his highlighted as the topic is covered

Watch the Free First Aid Audio-Video Sample Demo HERE.

What's the Advantage of First Aid For the USMLE Step 1 Online vs. The Text?

Time management.

As a medical student, you may find yourself getting stuck trying to memorize the first chapter or first few pages of a book as dense and high-yield as First Aid for the USMLE Step 1. That's where the Online version of the program really comes in handy. Simply take the total number of hours in the program and multiply that times the number of repetitions you want to make - now you're practically guaranteed to make it through the program as planned.

To Keep the review fast-paced and keep you of a path to USMLE Step 1 2013-2014 success, the material is offered at Regular, 1.5X, or 2.0X speed!

Apollo's Recommendations: How to Use the First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 Online for your Step 1 Review Course

Plan to go through the material 3 times!

Plan to go through all of the material AT LEAST THREE TIMES before your exam. This will ensure that you are not only familiar with the material, but that you have really memorized the key points. The first time you go through First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 Online you will become "familiar" with the material. The second time, you will begin to memorize it. The third time you will have really memorized the crucial facts for your Step 1 Exam. That is the plan for success on your 2013 and 2014 boards.

Watch the FREE First Aid for the USMLE Sample Audio-Video Here

Your Time is Too Valuable to Waste!

Choose One of Our USMLE Audio Reviews Today -

Study On Your Schedule!

Browse USMLE Reviews Here - Get Free Monthly Downloads Here

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
With your "go through the material 3x" approach, it seems like you are emphasizing rote memorization over understanding and integration of knowledge. Is this, in fact, what you are doing or to what degree do you emphasize ongoing integration and further application of knowledge in preparation for Step 1?

With your "go through the material 3x" approach, it seems like you are emphasizing rote memorization over understanding and integration of knowledge. Is this, in fact, what you are doing or to what degree do you emphasize ongoing integration and further application of knowledge in preparation for Step 1?

The truth is, I'm a "concept" guy. I like to get the "concept" of what is going on so I can apply that same concept to many different situations.

However, in medical school you have to remember both information and concepts.

Therefore, my general advice for any medical student is to go through each book, audio, or resource 3 times in order to retain the information. It does not matter if it is First Aid Online for 2013 or 2014, one of Apollo's USMLE Audio products, or a regular textbook.

My strategy is based on my own experience in medical school. I ran into so many people who would get "stuck" on the first chapter of First Aid for the USMLE Step 1. They just could NOT move on to the next chapter until they felt they really "understood" or had "memorized" the first chapter. This is a HUGE MISTAKE.

It is better to go through a resource from beginning to end, very rapidly, without trying to "memorize" anything. Just get familiar with the material for your USMLE Step 1. Then go through the material a second time. Now you are beginning to remember some of the info for your Step 1 Boards. The third time through, you really retain a lot of the material. You can stop to memorize at this point, if there are facts or concepts that still seem foreign to you.

You see, the big advantage of this system is that it keeps you from getting "stuck" on the first chapter. You have made it through all the material from First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 Online, and you have done it three time. You can try to "memorize" at the end without getting stuck.

I really hope this helps, it made a big difference in my USMLE Step 1 scores and med school grades.

Study On Your Schedule!

Does your course provide its own errata (if needed), or should the student keep a copy of First Aid's errata on hand during the course?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does your course provide its own errata (if needed), or should the student keep a copy of First Aid's errata on hand during the course?

Thanks!

Blais, good question.

Falcon's First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 Online Review Course was recorded in 2012 from the 2012 edition of the book. I can see from the First Aid Team website that they updated their errata as late as December 31, 2012, and I know that the Online review finished recording before December 31, 2012.

So I can't see how the errata on the online review would be 100% up to date, and I would recommend you use the most up-to-date errata published at: http://www.firstaidteam.com/3527/2012-step-1-errata-posted.

Do You...
Need More Study Time?
Want an Advantage?
We All Do!

Last edited:
Blais, good question.

Falcon's First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 Online Review Course was recorded in 2012 from the 2012 edition of the book. I can see from the First Aid Team website that they updated their errata as late as December 31, 2012, and I know that the Online review finished recording before December 31, 2012.

So I can't see how the errata on the online review would be 100% up to date, and I would recommend you use the most up-to-date errata published at: http://www.firstaidteam.com/3527/2012-step-1-errata-posted.

Study On Your Schedule!

Thanks!

Ive recently seen that some of your audio has quite a few mistakes and was thinking in order to improve the situation would be for you to start a forum or thread maybe on your website where all errors anyone finds can be listed like an errata for apollo gold step. This would help ensure the student can be confident the material they are listening to is accurate and at the same time speed up your process of correcting the mistakes as users would point them out for you.
I hope this helps.

Last edited:
I have been thinking and have decided if others are interested I could begin an errata for apollos step 1 material myself. I would only do it if others would find it helpful so please let me know what you guys think. I could even just start a thread on this very forum or a different one or just make a PDF with corrections and the resource I used for each one and post it. I welcome anyones input.

Ive recently seen that some of your audio has quite a few mistakes and was thinking in order to improve the situation would be for you to start a forum or thread maybe on your website where all errors anyone finds can be listed like an errata for apollo gold step. This would help ensure the student can be confident the material they are listening to is accurate and at the same time speed up your process of correcting the mistakes as users would point them out for you.
I hope this helps.

That is a great idea. At Apollo we depend on students for correction to our Gold Standard USMLE reviews (just like First Aid does). Below are two URLs that were set up in 2011 for "corrections and additions" to the Gold Standard USMLE reviews. Please post any errata there for other students to use, and for us to use with future revisions. Here are the links:

Submit to the Gold Standard Step 1 Corrections and Additions Thread
Submit to the Gold Standard Step 2 Corrections and Additions Thread

Thanks for contributing to the errata.

Regarding:

some of your audio has quite a few mistakes...

That could be true - we are human. But there have been very few contributions to the errata threads so far - so that doesn't give us much to go on for corrections. Basically, any contribution you make will be valuable and appreciated by other students.

Study On Your Schedule!

Last edited:
I have been thinking and have decided if others are interested I could begin an errata for apollos step 1 material myself. I would only do it if others would find it helpful so please let me know what you guys think. I could even just start a thread on this very forum or a different one or just make a PDF with corrections and the resource I used for each one and post it. I welcome anyones input.

See:

Submit to the Gold Standard Step 1 Corrections and Additions Thread
Submit to the Gold Standard Step 2 Corrections and Additions Thread

I'm curious if you have heard of students using your Step 1 review materials during the class? (like watching the biochem videos that correspond with the biochem material you're covering in class).

I usually like to look over the relevant First Aid section for the test the day before as a quick, general overview. I think that's hard to do with videos but I have used other Step 1 review videos along with my class lectures to improve my understanding if I felt like the lecturer wasn't very good.

How many of your students who take your Step 1 course come back and take your Step 2 course as well?

I'm curious if you have heard of students using your Step 1 review materials during the class? (like watching the biochem videos that correspond with the biochem material you're covering in class).

I usually like to look over the relevant First Aid section for the test the day before as a quick, general overview. I think that's hard to do with videos but I have used other Step 1 review videos along with my class lectures to improve my understanding if I felt like the lecturer wasn't very good.

I did the same thing as a medical student - going through the First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 book along with my classes. It was, for me, more of a familiarization thing (i.e. getting familiar with the book so that it would not be new when it was time for me to "review" for Step 1).

Honestly, I have not heard of anyone who went through the First Aid for the USMLE Online Videos while they going through their courses. And I agree that this would seem to be a little difficult - the act of actually sitting down and navigating through the videos to find the pertinent sections you are covering at the time. At the same time, I cannot say that familiarizing yourself with the entire set of First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 Videos would cause you any "harm."

In my experience, topics that are "important" are covered over and over in all sorts of books and videos and courses and audio reviews. And all of that repetition is really beneficial in helping you to retain the information long-term.

So I don't have any direct feedback about it, but I think it would not hurt. Basically, I would choose the format of First Aid for the USMLE that best fits your learning style. Online video is ideal for some. Books are ideal for others. I was a very slow reader and was not a book learner. Thus audio was best for me. Find a strategy that works for you (text or online videos or audio or live reviews) for the USMLE Step 1 and stick to that strategy.

Remember, what works for one student's learning style will not always be the right formula for you. Your learning style could be totally different.

Study On Your Schedule!

How many of your students who take your Step 1 course come back and take your Step 2 course as well?

I know TPW is running out of time, so sorry to get back to you so late. I guess the question is to exactly which "course" you are referring.

If you are referring to the First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 Online Videos here, there is no First Aid for the USMLE Step 2 Online, so none return. Which means you are probably not referring to First Aid Online.

So I must logically conclude that your are referring to the USMLE Step 1 Audio Reviews for Step 1 here. The truth is, we don't track purchasers by email to see if they come back for our USMLE Step 2 Audio Reviews after earlier using our Step 1 Audio Reviews. Maybe we should, and thanks for the suggestion.

However, I can tell you that the number of Gold Standard USMLE Step 1 Audio Reviews and the number of Gold Standard USMLE Step 2 Audio Reviews sold are roughly equal each and every quarter. Does that mean they are two different sets of students who purchase them, or that there are new ones in each group? I am not sure.

What I do know is this. Some students are "audio learners" while others are "book learners" and others learn by going to class or live USMLE reviews. For those who are "audio learners," they tend to come back. Apollo's audio reviews are not right for everyone. For example, my wife absolutely hates audio, and would love nothing. She is a reader (and a much better reader than I). At the same time, I am "audio learner" and detest reading.

Many students do not know if they are "audio learners" or not. And many do not know if they would like (or find applicable or useful) our USMLE audio reviews or not. That is why we offer all email subscribers 2 FREE USMLE Audio Downloads Per Month Here. If you find the free files useful, then you can purchase the whole set later. If you download the free files but don't like them, you've lost nothing. It is a free trial.

I hope that in some way this helps to answer your questions. All I can suggest for the USMLE Audio reviews is that you try the free downloads (includes Step 1, Step 2, and Step 3 free downloads). That should help you make the decision if the products are right for you.

Do You...
Need More Study Time?
Want an Advantage?
We All Do!