Technology Firefox 1.03

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MoosePilot

Y Bombardier
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got the prompt to update to Firefox 1.03. I clicked on it, it seemed to install all right, but now when I open it, it won't open any websites. When I close it, there's still an instance of Firefox running in the taskmanager and I can't make it stop by clicking "end task". I'm running Windows XP home.

I tried restarting, I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, I ran Adaware and I ran a virus scan. Nothing fixed it.

Members don't see this ad.

MoosePilot said:
I got the prompt to update to Firefox 1.03. I clicked on it, it seemed to install all right, but now when I open it, it won't open any websites. When I close it, there's still an instance of Firefox running in the taskmanager and I can't make it stop by clicking "end task". I'm running Windows XP home.

I tried restarting, I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, I ran Adaware and I ran a virus scan. Nothing fixed it.
Some windows users are seeing similar problems with 1.0.3 causing problems with certain extensions.

Mozillazine thread

I'm running 2000 and had a simliar instance, although it was isolated and a simple restart fixed it for me.

I would tell you to delete all Firefox program files and then redownload the app and install it clean.

Save bookmarks, etc. before deleting everything, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are the best extensions to get? If you have the links, let them fly...

I'm still having my problem. I was able to use Firefox 1.03 in safe mode with networking, which seems to imply something is interfering, but I've never had this problem before. I'm a bit pissed.

I'm going to try to completely uninstall everything having to do with Mozilla and start with a fresh slate, but man this is annoying. This is why I started using Firefox, because of how bad IE works, but now I'm using IE to try to find ways to fix FF and what's the point of that?

I didn't have the extension mentioned in the article. I wiped the mozilla folder out, deleted it all, uninstalled FF and still nothing.

Any help? I mean I've started completely over. I think something is interfering, but I can't figure out what.

The other possibility is that something in your profile is causing the problem. Unlikely, but it seems that every other possibility has been eliminated. I forget where they put the profile directory in Windows, as it's been a while since I've used Windows extensively. I'd recommend next just deleting your Firefox user profile.

Ah, screw it. Gimme me a minute to fire up the old Winbox...

Look in:

c:\Documents and Settings\<your home directory>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles

Delete everything in that folder. Mind you, Application Data is by default a hidden directory, so you may have to set Show Hidden Directories (or some such) in Windows Explorer to see that directory. After you delete that, restart Firefox. Bookmarks, passwords, etc. will all be removed. See if that works.

Hi

I have had this problem before, not specifically with this version of Firefox. It was an extension, so what you should do is delete the extensions that are still left. For some reason they haven't fixed it, and it has been a problem for several versions now...

regards,
Leo

lf777 said:
Hi

I have had this problem before, not specifically with this version of Firefox. It was an extension, so what you should do is delete the extensions that are still left. For some reason they haven't fixed it, and it has been a problem for several versions now...

regards,
Leo

Well, I deleted the entire program and then went back and deleted every file associated with the program before installing it clean. I even uninstalled Mozilla Thunderbird (or whatever their mail was, I don't use it) just to be sure I got everything. So there shouldn't have been another extension.

I'm trying to delete my profiles now, since I didn't get that earlier. I have to close my machine down, because I also have the FF won't close problem and can't find the lock file to delete it.