Firecracker Step 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apoplexy__

Blood-and-thunder appearance
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd make a dedicated thread for Firecracker as used for Step 2. Here's the Official Firecracker Step 1 thread.

At the very least, this will be a "diary" of my periodically updated thoughts going through using it. However, I think it would be far more useful if as many people as possible chimed in with their experiences.

Here are some threads with some existing user input:
From 2014: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/anyone-used-firecracker-for-step-2.1063595/
From 2013: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/using-firecracker-for-step-2.1003719/
From 2012: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/gunner-training-firecracker-for-step-2.963692/

I'll be using FC on "Legendary Mode" primarily as an adjunct and background study tool, which will take lower priority than traditional shelf/Step 2 advice. The resources I'll primarily be using are found here. I'll also be using UWorld concurrently with each shelf and for Step 2.

Full disclosure: I became an editor for Step 1 content with Firecracker shortly after beginning my use of the Step 2 Firecracker content. I am not a representative of Firecracker, and nothing I say represents the views or policies of Firecracker.

May 2015 edit: To sum up my experience all-in-all with Step 2 FC, I used it for the first 2-3 months of MS3 (mid-2014) sparingly, then dropped it in favor of tried-and-true resources which are already too abundant to do all of. Some rotations it's too hard to even do all of the UWorld of, let alone 1-2 passes of the highest-recommended text. My current recommendation is to consider trying it if you have time remaining from an existing subscription already, but otherwise to see how you fare keeping up with MS3 studying without it first.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
This thread's been dead for a while now.. they seem to have updated the topics..

Would someone please comment on what they think of FC for step 2 CK ?

Inputs from current users would be much appreciated !

This thread's been dead for a while now.. they seem to have updated the topics..

Would someone please comment on what they think of FC for step 2 CK ?

Inputs from current users would be much appreciated !
Was just thinking about this recently and figured I'd wait until after boards to ask, but I'd second this.

Also, using it for shelf exams? I've got family med first and have to figure out if it's worth doing firecracker for it.

Reactions: 1 user
For Step 1 there is a dedicated thread on FC with I guess >1 post per day.. For step 2 CK i can hardly find any reviews anywhere on the internet..

Members don't see this ad :)
For Step 1 there is a dedicated thread on FC with I guess >1 post per day.. For step 2 CK i can hardly find any reviews anywhere on the internet..

You'll find less info for solid step 2 plans in general so it's fitting that there is less fc info. People aren't going to risk dedicating themselves to something that there's no info on. And for most of us who have even tried at all, it seems that it would be tough to get through it and have discontinued use. I think kirbymeister might have continued but I'm not sure. I searched a lot as well and couldn't really find anything.

I think kirbymeister might have continued but I'm not sure. I searched a lot as well and couldn't really find anything.

I was avoiding posting because I don't actually use it. To sum up my experience all-in-all with Step 2 FC, I used it for the first 2-3 months of MS3 sparingly, then dropped it in favor of tried-and-true resources which are already too abundant to do all of. I edited my OP of this thread accordingly.

I don't want to really share an opinion of something I'm really not too knowledgeable about, which is a shame because I'd really love to help you guys out more (especially since it's so annoyingly hard to find good advice for Step 2/shelfs). Sorry guys.

I was avoiding posting because I don't actually use it. To sum up my experience all-in-all with Step 2 FC, I used it for the first 2-3 months of MS3 sparingly, then dropped it in favor of tried-and-true resources which are already too abundant to do all of. I edited my OP of this thread accordingly.

I don't want to really share an opinion of something I'm really not too knowledgeable about, which is a shame because I'd really love to help you guys out more (especially since it's so annoyingly hard to find good advice for Step 2/shelfs). Sorry guys.
Thank you nonetheless!

This thread has been dead for quiet a while... any new bits of advice in regards to FC usefullness in STEP 2 CK prep? Thanks in advance.

I've been trying to use it throughout third year. Using it on legacy. Probably will only finish w/ 80-85% banked. Taking the exam in 4 weeks. I guess look out for my post in 2 months... unless I postpone.

I've been trying to use it throughout third year. Using it on legacy. Probably will only finish w/ 80-85% banked. Taking the exam in 4 weeks. I guess look out for my post in 2 months... unless I postpone.

thanks! I start studying for this test in about 1 month. Been keeping up with the experience thread but there are a lot of mixed reviews. Do you think FC could replace FA, MTB, SUTM and similar sources? Im leaning towards going FC + Uworld and Uptodate for any clarification. Any help would be appreciated. GL

thanks! I start studying for this test in about 1 month. Been keeping up with the experience thread but there are a lot of mixed reviews. Do you think FC could replace FA, MTB, SUTM and similar sources? Im leaning towards going FC + Uworld and Uptodate for any clarification. Any help would be appreciated. GL
I think nothing outside of UWorld is a given for Step 2 studying. I think what you use besides the qbank should be based on what you think works best for you, what your weaknesses are, and what formats you're typically comfortable studying from. I think prior to step 1, when I took a practice exam after doing firecracker for most of the year, I was clearly way ahead of the game. After taking my first practice test last week, the score was ok, but not really anything that makes me feel like I'm on pace to score as good or better than my step 1 score. I'm also only studying for about a week after third year ends, so at the moment I'm regretting the decision to use FC, but it's too late to turn back at this point, so I'm hoping it proves me wrong.

I think nothing outside of UWorld is a given for Step 2 studying. I think what you use besides the qbank should be based on what you think works best for you, what your weaknesses are, and what formats you're typically comfortable studying from. I think prior to step 1, when I took a practice exam after doing firecracker for most of the year, I was clearly way ahead of the game. After taking my first practice test last week, the score was ok, but not really anything that makes me feel like I'm on pace to score as good or better than my step 1 score. I'm also only studying for about a week after third year ends, so at the moment I'm regretting the decision to use FC, but it's too late to turn back at this point, so I'm hoping it proves me wrong.

thanks for the reply. For now ill def keep Uworld and see what else i can research. best of luck

I wouldn't waste your time with it, there are better high-yield sources out there.
whats your experience with Firecracker? what exactly did you not like? what other sources do you recommend? why? thanks in advance

So my update after taking the exam would be to not use Firecracker for Step 2. Walking out, I had never felt so unprepared for an exam. I can think of 1 question I got right directly from FC knowledge and I actually think it was something I covered in Step 1 studying, not step 2.

The exam is much more clinical (duh) than step 1 and just knowing facts won't help as much. In retrospect now, the best thing you can do for this exam during third year is to immerse yourself in the rotation and learn as much as possible (countless times on my exam I chose something based on how we had managed a patient) and do Uworld over the course of the year. Timing was a big issue for me also, and I don't think I spent enough time with Uworld as I should of. Also, my glaring weakness on exam day was biostats. You don't get good overall coverage with FC nor the consistent practice required to be good at it (I had a ton of biostats and not 1 single sensitivity, specificity, PPV, NPV question).

Lastly, doing FC took way too much time over the course of the year and I didn't even get to completely finish it. There are plenty of sources for each rotation that are proven to help you learn everything you need to do well for the shelf and take forward with you for future knowledge. The step 2 info for FC is relatively poor and even more poorly organized compared to the step 1 info and I just don't think it's worth it.

I'm not sure how I'll do. I feel that it's possible to do extremely poorly on the exam or maybe I will have done well, but I wanted to post this now because even if I got a 300, I wouldn't change my current recommendation. It wasn't worth the time or burden.

Reactions: 1 users
So my update after taking the exam would be to not use Firecracker for Step 2. Walking out, I had never felt so unprepared for an exam. I can think of 1 question I got right directly from FC knowledge and I actually think it was something I covered in Step 1 studying, not step 2.

The exam is much more clinical (duh) than step 1 and just knowing facts won't help as much. In retrospect now, the best thing you can do for this exam during third year is to immerse yourself in the rotation and learn as much as possible (countless times on my exam I chose something based on how we had managed a patient) and do Uworld over the course of the year. Timing was a big issue for me also, and I don't think I spent enough time with Uworld as I should of. Also, my glaring weakness on exam day was biostats. You don't get good overall coverage with FC nor the consistent practice required to be good at it (I had a ton of biostats and not 1 single sensitivity, specificity, PPV, NPV question).

Lastly, doing FC took way too much time over the course of the year and I didn't even get to completely finish it. There are plenty of sources for each rotation that are proven to help you learn everything you need to do well for the shelf and take forward with you for future knowledge. The step 2 info for FC is relatively poor and even more poorly organized compared to the step 1 info and I just don't think it's worth it.

I'm not sure how I'll do. I feel that it's possible to do extremely poorly on the exam or maybe I will have done well, but I wanted to post this now because even if I got a 300, I wouldn't change my current recommendation. It wasn't worth the time or burden.

dude congrats on being done and hope all goes well.

Sucks to hear this after I just broke down FC but thanks. For someone who is really weak on Step 2 knowledge would your recommendation chaange? I have 6 months to study for this exam. I was planning on just doing 7 cards of FC and cover UW in depth.

Aside from this, what other resources do you recommend aside from UW?

thanks for the help my man.

dude congrats on being done and hope all goes well.

Sucks to hear this after I just broke down FC but thanks. For someone who is really weak on Step 2 knowledge would your recommendation chaange? I have 6 months to study for this exam. I was planning on just doing 7 cards of FC and cover UW in depth.

Aside from this, what other resources do you recommend aside from UW?

thanks for the help my man.

Sorry, I never replied to this. I'm not sure what your situation is (whether you're AMG or IMG), but really I think what everyone says in that just studying well for your rotations is all you need and then UWorld helps to solidify everything. Some sources are okay for supplemental reading, but after looking through things myself, I personally didn't really think any were worth the time (to each their own though, realize that if you've always needed a book to aid your studying then maybe that would be more valuable for you).

So basically I'd recommend is getting through Uworld, doing your incorrect questions, and referencing Uptodate, medscape, or wiki when needed for explanations of treatments or descriptions of things you've never heard of. Also, timing was a big issue for me, which it has never been in the past. I'd recommend making sure you focus on your timing and approach to questions through Uworld/NBMEs beforehand.