Firecracker for surgery clerkship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed1234567891011

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone use firecracker for studying for the shelf and general rotation knowledge during their surgery clerkship? If so did you find it helpful?

Members don't see this ad.

I used it for all clerkships and thought it was very helpful. Did flash cards daily and all questions for each clerkship and the practice shelf the week before the shelf .

I used it for all clerkships and thought it was very helpful. Did flash cards daily and all questions for each clerkship and the practice shelf the week before the shelf .
How’d it compare to resources like devirgilio and premade anki decks online? There are lots of resources so I want to prioritize correctly. Of course, uworld will be a top priority.

Members don't see this ad :)
How’d it compare to resources like devirgilio and premade anki decks online? There are lots of resources so I want to prioritize correctly. Of course, uworld will be a top priority.
I didn’t use those so I can’t compare. Uworld is the priority problem is there are not many surgery questions.

Firecracker’s clinical science resources were limited when I was a third year. I used it but only as a supplement.

I found the key to all shelves was doing enough practice questions to fully cover the breadth of information tested. For me this meant completing all of two sources like pretest or Lange.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree with above. Maybe they've updated their content more, but surgery was probably lacking the most in terms of clinical content on Firecracker. I tried to do that and any seemingly relevant medicine topics that I hadn't covered on my preceding IM rotation. Honored the rotation, but as above, I think I just felt comfortable on the shelf after doing practice questions (for Surgery I used pre-test) and 2 NBMEs, just since the surgery shelf was so random.

I’ve heard it helped my friends with their Long term retention. Here’s the link they gave me

Firecracker