Medical Finishing up pre-med "recommended" classes late?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Question

Member Question
Volunteer Staff
Reaction score
I'm a senior, planning to apply in the 2023-2024 cycle. I still have to a couple classes widely-recommended by MD schools (statistics, psychology, sociology). However, I was hoping to finish my minor in the humanities department this year as well. Class schedule-wise, it doesn't seem feasible to complete both the minor and these other classes. From my understanding, class requirements/recommendations need to be completed before matriculation, not necessarily by the time of application. The minor isn't something dear to my heart or anything, but I just think it would be neat to complete. Would taking (or promising to take) classes at a community college after graduation, or even summer of 2024 hurt my chances? Thank you!

— Experts please respond to this post —

Members don't see this ad.

Keep your priorities straight. Completing recommended classes prior to application will help you attain your primary goal (becoming a doctor) more than a ceremonial minor.

-a once upon a time math minor who has forgotten everything

I think everyone in college at some point thinks a minor in something is very romantic and cool and really it’s not that great, it’s just an extra half-sentence you add to a conversation :laugh: I almost went for a minor in anthropology because it sounded cool and I liked the courses. But like Spurs says, it’s not your priority and the yield is going to be negligible. Eyes on the prize.

Status
Not open for further replies.