~Finished the DAT~...what do you guys think?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mpatel23

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone...I just took my DAT for the first time yesturday after studying for 3 weeks and for 8 hours a day on average and here are my scores...

BIO - 18
CHEM - 17 :(
ORGO - 18
PAT - 19
RC - 21 :D
QR - 17 :confused:
TS - 18
AA - 18

My gpa is a 3.20 and I plan to apply for the 2008 cycle. Do you guys think I should take the DAT again or stick with these scores? Do people get into schools with scores of 17 in any section? I would really appreciate any feedback because I am really on the fence right now about re-taking the DAT. Thank you all in advance. And thanks to the people who gave me some studying advice earlier!

Members don't see this ad.

I would probably say take it again. I say that you should aim for at least 20s all across the board to be on the safe side. You have time to take it, seeing as how the 2008 cycle start applying this summer. My school's committee recommends that you have taken the DAT before June 30.

people do get into schools w/ 17's in sections, and even with lower GPAs. However, that is become much harder and harder with every passing year. So unless you have something else on your application that will easily make you stand out above the rest you might want to consider re-taking the DAT and/or increasing the GPA. If this is your first time taking it then you're fine..your scoring at least in the minimally competitive range...a little more practice and you should be all set. Go get 'em

Take it again and make sure you get an AA20 or higher on the second time around. I just finished applying for the 2007 cycle and I can tell you that it is soooooo competitive to get a seat these days and trust me, every year it gets exponentially harder. I had an AA21 PAT21 on one try, and a 3.95GPA and I still got some flat out rejections. I suggest you take it again and really step it up by studying hard and maybe getting extra assistance (I dont know how you studied before but make sure you utilize Topscore, Kaplans, and DAT Destroyer, and I also suggest to give Dr. Romano a call so he can help you further). Good Luck

Members don't see this ad :)
21AA and 3.95 GPA? Your stats obviously weren't the problem since those stats will get you into any dental school in the country. Trust me when I say there aren't 4.0's and 22AA's piling out of the woodwork these days. Individuals with those stats represent the top 5% of all applicants nationwide from a subjective perspective. Your high marks were not the reason you were rejected. Either you messed up the interview and didn't realize it, or you fell short of what they were looking for in other areas (most likely).

But you are right in one regard. There's always room for improvement on an admissions test. He could stand to take it again and any higher score would always improve his chances.

I guess what they do they consider the GPA and DAT as well as the major you are in. so if you have been in a hard major even if your GPA is low you have higher chance.

did you apply late? with your stats and getting rejection letters, you've got me worried.

Take it again and make sure you get an AA20 or higher on the second time around. I just finished applying for the 2007 cycle and I can tell you that it is soooooo competitive to get a seat these days and trust me, every year it gets exponentially harder. I had an AA21 PAT21 on one try, and a 3.95GPA and I still got some flat out rejections. I suggest you take it again and really step it up by studying hard and maybe getting extra assistance (I dont know how you studied before but make sure you utilize Topscore, Kaplans, and DAT Destroyer, and I also suggest to give Dr. Romano a call so he can help you further). Good Luck

thank you for the feedback guys...looks like i will be giving it another shot this summer...

thank you for the feedback guys...looks like i will be giving it another shot this summer...

Yes, with your DAT scores, it is possible to get in. Note, however, that the people that I've seen with those scores who got in are unique applicants. I agree with Orthodox Bear. Do try to aim for at least a 20, especially on AA and TS. For PAT, an 18 is a reasonable score.

Oh, one more thing: The DAT is not like the SAT. You will definitely improve with more studying. Looking at your scores, your RC and PAT scores are reasonable and these are the sections that are likely the hardest to improve upon. The other sections are more knowledge-based.

Good luck