Finding "Training" Registrar spots in surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Knightmd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm a bit inexperienced when it comes to the UK postgrad system... But I understand you need to get a "Training" registrar position to advance towards the FRCS, and that locums don't count. So where are those positions advertised? Are they the same as ST# positions?

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm a bit inexperienced when it comes to the UK postgrad system... But I understand you need to get a "Training" registrar position to advance towards the FRCS, and that locums don't count. So where are those positions advertised? Are they the same as ST# positions?

I thought you wanted to work in the US?

Firstly, what is your citizenship? The answer to that might mean you simply can't get a reg job so best to get it out of the way first.

I thought you wanted to work in the US?

Firstly, what is your citizenship? The answer to that might mean you simply can't get a reg job so best to get it out of the way first.
Canadian.... As a commonwealth citizen under 30 I get a two-year work permit (For Basic Surgical Training), then plan to get a Tier 1 for the reg job since it's on the shortage list...

Members don't see this ad :)
Canadian.... As a commonwealth citizen under 30 I get a two-year work permit (For Basic Surgical Training), then plan to get a Tier 1 for the reg job since it's on the shortage list...

Shortage list?

Have you done some F1/F2 equivalent?

Yep, and eligible for full registration as an MRCS holder.

About the shortage list:
http://www.1stcontact.com/career-relocation/skills-shortage-list.aspx

Err... that list doesn't exactly look official to me. Anyway, it is for consultant and non-training posts so not what you are talking about. Competition for any surgical specialty at reg level is incredibly tough. It's not horrific for basic surgical training but the majority don't get beyond that. You might be fine, obviously it depends on your cv etc but you need to be realistic. As for your original question reg is normally ST3 (so your 5th postgrad year), however in a couple of random specialties it is halfway through ST2 etc but not in the surgical specialties. As for where they are advertised I am honestly not sure, maybe try looking at the GMC website, college websites and deanery websites. One of those should tell you.

Err... that list doesn't exactly look official to me and says consultants anyway which may be true but competition for any surgical specialty at reg level is incredibly tough. It's not horrific for basic surgical training but the majority don't get beyond that. You might be fine, obviously it depends on your cv etc but you need to be realistic.

Well I'm 28 and I got over twenty papers published in North American and European surgical journals, as well as over 10 North American and European conferences participation (podium presentations, posters, videos...etc), in addition to textbook chapters as first author, so I think I have a shot.....

I actually saw the list on another official site; that one I sent was just hastly googled. So anyway, I'd appreciate it if you let me know where I can find the "Training" registrar spots posted.....

Well I'm 28 and I got over twenty papers published in North American and European surgical journals, as well as over 10 North American and European conferences participation (podium presentations, posters, videos...etc), in addition to textbook chapters as first author, so I think I have a shot.....

I actually saw the list on another official site; that one I sent was just hastly googled. So anyway, I'd appreciate it if you let me know where I can find the "Training" registrar spots posted.....

Your credentials sound fine but one thing that is very different between the US and the UK is attitude! We don't tolerate the kind of crap that is common there and that is more than enough to stop you getting a job. Anyway, I edited my post as you seem to have been writing yours.

Your credentials sound fine but one thing that is very different between the US and the UK is attitude! We don't tolerate the kind of crap that is common there and that is more than enough to stop you getting a job. Anyway, I edited my post as you seem to have been writing yours.

ST3 spot.... got it. Looked it up and found them... I know my fair share of stories of people stuck in locum loops, never landing a spot. So what happens to those? Are they forever ineligible for the FRCS?

Last edited:
Also, by "attitude" and "crap that is common in the US", what exactly do you mean? A few pointers would be a tremendous help...

ST3 spot.... got it. Looked it up and found them... I know my fair share of stories of people stuck in locum loops, never landing a spot. So what happens to those? Are they forever ineligible for the FRCS?

People do a variety of things, constantly take 1 year non-training posts in that specialty, take time out to do a PhD to try and make their application better or switch specialty, usually to GP. To take an exit exam in a specialty (FRCS stuff) you need to be a certain level, it varies by specialty but is at least ST6.

Also, by "attitude" and "crap that is common in the US", what exactly do you mean? A few pointers would be a tremendous help...

Lots of things really, I had real issues with peoples attitudes in the US because it really is so different.

Firstly, sucking up is not appreciated here, it will not get you anywhere, if anything it will piss people off and make them doubt your intentions etc.

Backstabbing is not tolerated, if you have a problem with someone, tell them to their face and work it out. If you mention it behind their back to anyone it will likely cause you problems. While I was in the US it seemed everyone was very nice to each others faces but the second someone left the room they would start bitching about them.

I saw huge amounts of dishonesty in the US relating to various things, maybe that is just where I was but again it will not be tolerated here, regardless of your level.

Placing blame on other people is not tolerated. When I was in the US, the chief resident blamed a student for something when he was the one that had screwed up. I got the impression that whoever was most junior got blamed for problems regardless of who was actually to blame, that is not the case here.

Anyone at any level can and will complain about anyone at any level if they feel it is justified. They wont do it just to be nasty but you are not entitled to act like a **** just because you have been there for 30years or whatever.

General rudeness will not be tolerated and you will be brought in to discuss it with higher ups if people dislike your attitude. Basically we are just nicer here and the environment is a lot better.

Just in general, a lot of things that are common in the US would be considered fitness to practice issues in the UK and could potentially lead to GMC intervention.

Backstabbing is not tolerated, if you have a problem with someone, tell them to their face and work it out. If you mention it behind their back to anyone it will likely cause you problems. While I was in the US it seemed everyone was very nice to each others faces but the second someone left the room they would start bitching about them.

Witnessed that more than once... thanks for the pointers.

But about the sucking up, it seems that with the extra-super-competitive nature of training registrar spots, one wouldn't help but be very nice with staff, since they wouldn't take the one who appears to not give a ****, as opposed to the other "eager" one... It's pretty tough...

I saw huge amounts of dishonesty in the US relating to various things, maybe that is just where I was but again it will not be tolerated here, regardless of your level.

Placing blame on other people is not tolerated. When I was in the US, the chief resident blamed a student for something when he was the one that had screwed up. I got the impression that whoever was most junior got blamed for problems regardless of who was actually to blame, that is not the case here.

Anyone at any level can and will complain about anyone at any level if they feel it is justified. They wont do it just to be nasty but you are not entitled to act like a **** just because you have been there for 30years or whatever.

:laugh: Sure, there is no backstabbing/dishonesty about work or patient care or buck passing here. This is the land of milk and honey, remember? ;)

:laugh: Sure, there is no backstabbing/dishonesty about work or patient care or buck passing here. This is the land of milk and honey, remember? ;)

Compared to the US, medicine in the UK is a dream when it comes to attitudes/behaviours!

Last edited:
Witnessed that more than once... thanks for the pointers.

But about the sucking up, it seems that with the extra-super-competitive nature of training registrar spots, one wouldn't help but be very nice with staff, since they wouldn't take the one who appears to not give a ****, as opposed to the other "eager" one... It's pretty tough...

There is a difference between being nice and sucking up. Be nice to people of course, but we value hard work and good knowledge more than they seem to in the US. Again it is my experience but some of the residents I saw in the US had pretty poor knowledge but because they sucked up everything was just fine. In the UK if your knowledge isn't up to scratch you would have to repeat a year regardless of how nice you are. If you were a bit unfriendly someone might have a word with you but not much more than that. If you behaved really badly obviously that would be different though. In the US I saw someone who had far better knowledge than anyone else of their level but because they didn't suck up to everyone people seemed to have a problem with them. That is ridiculous. As long as you are polite, professional and can actually do your job well everything should be great but it's really not the case there. Bottom line for the UK is, know your stuff, work hard and be professional and reasonably friendly.