Finding Schools with Zoo Med Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sushi pink

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am applying for the second time and wanted to apply to as many schools as I can with good programs in what I am interested in studying (zoo/wildlife/conservation medicine). I am from Florida so I am going to apply to UF and I was thinking of also applying to UC Davis and NC. Not sure what other programs are good in this field since I have seen mixed feelings. I got accepted into Ross for next summer but their NAVLE scores have been dropping according to other posts so not sure if I should go (could also use advice on this :smack:).

I will also include my stats to better help in giving advice for schools to apply to. Thank you for anyone's thoughts!

GPA: 3.95
Major/Minors: Biology Major/ Chemistry, English, and Marine biology Minors
Awards: Deans list (every semester), 1st place Cuervo Award (best biology student in graduating class), Scholarship from National Save the Sea Turtles Foundation
Vet Hours: 800 hours in shelter medicine, 200 hours Wildlife Rehab, trying for zoo internship in the fall
Animal Hours: 1000 hours working on a ranch, 100 hours at a horse sanctuary, 100 hours at a riding school, 50 hours fostering animals, doing sea turtle rehab in the summer
Research: Have worked in an ecology lab for 2 years in a payed position and am now a REU coordinator
Extracurriculars: Pre-Vet Club, Undergraduate Research Club, Women in Marine Science, Art Club, Leadership Club
Certificates: PADI Scuba Certified

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone!

I am applying for the second time and wanted to apply to as many schools as I can with good programs in what I am interested in studying (zoo/wildlife/conservation medicine). I am from Florida so I am going to apply to UF and I was thinking of also applying to UC Davis and NC. Not sure what other programs are good in this field since I have seen mixed feelings. I got accepted into Ross for next summer but their NAVLE scores have been dropping according to other posts so not sure if I should go (could also use advice on this :smack:).

I will also include my stats to better help in giving advice for schools to apply to. Thank you for anyone's thoughts!

GPA: 3.95
Major/Minors: Biology Major/ Chemistry, English, and Marine biology Minors
Awards: Deans list (every semester), 1st place Cuervo Award (best biology student in graduating class), Scholarship from National Save the Sea Turtles Foundation
Vet Hours: 800 hours in shelter medicine, 200 hours Wildlife Rehab, trying for zoo internship in the fall
Animal Hours: 1000 hours working on a ranch, 100 hours at a horse sanctuary, 100 hours at a riding school, 50 hours fostering animals, doing sea turtle rehab in the summer
Research: Have worked in an ecology lab for 2 years in a payed position and am now a REU coordinator
Extracurriculars: Pre-Vet Club, Undergraduate Research Club, Women in Marine Science, Art Club, Leadership Club
Certificates: PADI Scuba Certified
Frankly I would just apply broadly so that you can become a vet period, and then focus on experiences and networking regardless of where you’re accepted :shrug:

Reactions: 11 users
Hi!

As someone who’s also interested in exotics/zoo/wildlife, I would just apply wherever you think you have the best chance of getting in with the least amount of debt. Every AVMA accredited school will give you a good education, and networking/internships/etc are probably your best bet. Going to a school that has an exotics/zoo med program doesn’t guarantee you’ll go down that path and a lot of people don’t end up doing it.

I’m starting at LMU in the fall as a first year and they don’t exactly have an extensive zoo med or exotics program, but I chose them because it’s close to home and I can apply for scholarships (hopefully get) as an Appalachian native. I’m just planning to apply for internships over the summer to get experience.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
on the flip side my school is known for its wildlife and conservation medicine stuff, and while i'm involved there it's mostly through luck. the opportunities are currently limited. i don't regret my choice, but most people i know that are interested in it still haven't had a chance to get involved. i'm not sure if that's the case at all schools, but it's definitely worth reaching out to wildlife and zoo faculty at each of the schools you're interested in to get an accurate picture of the opportunities available for students. i also recommend reaching out to wildlife rehab centers, zoos, and citizen science wildlife projects near the schools with volunteer interest to open some doors and make some opportunities no matter the school. but again, getting in touch with the faculty, regardless of if the program has a specialty is really important, imo. they can gauge your interest and help set a trajectory, and maybe get you involved in some of their research. networking, opportunism, and luck are key in the conservation world.

My school had 3 people gain zoo med residencies from the class of 2020 this year and 3 or 5 people from 2019 to 2021 gain zoo med internships. This is out of around 400 people across those 3 years (2019-2021) who started 1st year wanting to be zoo vets. Each class graduates probably 10 serious contenders that go into rotating internships.

All of these students had extensive background working in our wildlife clinic, the wildlife epi lab, research with faculty, etc. Ultimately, their saving grace was in the connections they made, not the school they went to.

I second what @max_wildlife said about reaching out now. Likewise, know that there is a strong possibility of not becoming a zoo vet, whether due to not getting the whole 9 yards, or changing your mind. One girl in my class was heavily zoo med. Literally taking every step. Now she's going into med onc.

Reactions: 1 user