All Branch Topic (ABT) Find TSP using special pay or base pay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turkish

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I bet I could figure this out if I understood simple multiplication and division...but is there any advantage to funding your TSP all at once out of the annual VSP? Seems that gets taxed at a higher "bonus" rate.

Ack this is going away soon anyway, but just wondering. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

No, there is no benefit to that. It may seem taxed at a higher rate, but it all get lumped into income on your tax return and balanced out among the tax brackets depending on where you fall.

However, I recommend you use the Roth TSP anyway. Your effective tax rate as a military physician is rather low so Roth is to your benefit. With Roth contributions you just set a dollar amount.

Reactions: 1 user
Can you roll over a traditional tsp to a Roth?

Just noticed a nice typo in the title of this thread. Awesome.

Nevermind- found some info on conversion. TSP Roth Conversion | CSRS & FERS Retirees

And the benefit of conversion depends on whether you anticipate having a higher income now or during retirement, since distributions from retirement accounts and military retirement are both taxable income.

Members don't see this ad :)
As mentioned above, there is no benefit to funding the TSP in one fell swoop from a bonus or monthly from your normal paycheck. It all evens out in April. I'm personally a believer in dollar cost averaging, so I elect to have my contributions come out of my monthly pay.

As you discovered, you can't roll your TSP into a Roth IRA without paying taxes on the conversion with some unique exceptions. Jim chronicled a few of these exceptions here:
How To Get Your Tax-Exempt TSP Money In To A Roth IRA

Hopefully you've been backdoor Rothing along with your traditional TSP for a number of years. If not, you can still make a backdoor Roth contribution for 2016 as long as you do it before tax day. And as far as transferring traditional TSP money out, I wouldn't recommend it. The G fund is fantastic, and the low expense ratio on the C fund is beats any other large cap index fund. Gradually convert more of your TSP into the G fund as your other tax deferred equity index funds increase in value. Eventually your residual TSP can comprise your entire government fixed income allocation.

You also can transfer money into TSP in the future if you need to allocate more to the G Fund (as long as you keep any balance).
True -

The difficulty is that you're allowed exactly ONE lifetime partial-withdrawal from TSP, so rebalancing out of G is a little harder than rebalancing into G. (Unless rebalancing into the CSI funds meets your needs.)

The other problem with TSP is the weird Roth-traditional blendedness of it, and the inability to manage those portions of the portfolio independently. I hope that by the time that's important issue for me, they'll have modernized TSP a bit.

Can anyone ball park how much an O-4 in the army would make post residency as lets say a general surgeon? I've been looking all over the place and can't seem to find physician pay specifics.

~150 large.

Learn the table. Learn how to read an LES.

file:///C:/Users/m156512/Downloads/2017MilitaryPayChart%20(1).pdf