This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Piglet2020

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I would like to learn more about loans/grants for medical school. I submitted my FAFSA yesterday. I don't think I would be eligible for free $ as my parents' income is over the need limit. So far, my state school hasn't sent me any info yet about financial packages. What should I do now? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here, I found this on the interwebs: Paying for Medical School

If you have specific questions, PM me. I'm an MBA with a finance emphasis.

If enough people are interested, I'll put together a dedicated thread discussing financing options.

Yes please, this would be wonderful!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Hello! I would like to learn more about loans/grants for medical school. I submitted my FAFSA yesterday. I don't think I would be eligible for free $ as my parents' income is over the need limit. So far, my state school hasn't sent me any info yet about financial packages. What should I do now? Thanks!
Your parents income is not factored in when deciding your need, even if you provided it. I believe this is true for all professional-level education programs

Your parents income is not factored in when deciding your need, even if you provided it. I believe this is true for all professional-level education programs

Parental income is not factored in when considering need in terms of government loans. However, parental income is considered when evaluating institutional aid at many schools.

Reactions: 3 users
Parental income is not factored in when considering need in terms of government loans. However, parental income is considered when evaluating institutional aid at many schools.
OP specifically referenced fafsa, hence my comment.

Staffords and GradPLUS.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do Stafford and GradPLUS cover full COA for all 4 years? Don't they have limits?

I've gotten full COA for 4 years at a private ($$) school. If there are limits, they're pretty high. I think you need not to have some sort of seriously adverse credit history for the PLUS loans though.

Invest in Bitcoin and get out before the bubble bursts.

Do Stafford and GradPLUS cover full COA for all 4 years? Don't they have limits?

No limits that I am aware of. I have to take full COA for all four years at a private school and no issues.

When it says "you have one or more debts with a total combined outstanding balance greater than $2,085 that are 90 or more days delinquent as of the date of the credit report" they are not referring to an outstanding FASFA student loan debt? Being less than $2,085 in student loan debt from undergraduate education would seem a bit strict for a GradPLUS loan requirement! I have also never heard of anyone being denied the full COA. Has anyone on the thread been previously denied GradPLUS loans due to some disqualifying factor?

When it says "you have one or more debts with a total combined outstanding balance greater than $2,085 that are 90 or more days delinquent as of the date of the credit report" they are not referring to an outstanding FASFA student loan debt? Being less than $2,085 in student loan debt from undergraduate education would seem a bit strict for a GradPLUS loan requirement! I have also never heard of anyone being denied the full COA. Has anyone on the thread been previously denied GradPLUS loans due to some disqualifying factor?

The key word is delinquent. If you're not 3 months behind on payments you're fine.

Reactions: 9 users
Invest in Bitcoin and get out before the bubble bursts.
How much to invest in Bitcoin to earn around 200k even if Bitcoin doubles?

This is not so easy anymore when you could invest hundreds and pull out thousands. with Bitcoin being over 16K, you have to invest a lot. Risks are high now.

The way I’m paying for it, I enlisted in the Air Force and so now I have the post 9/11 GI Bill. In-state tuition is fully covered along with a housing stipend, $1000 yearly for books, and I think it covers one lisencing exam (I’d have to double check that one). It only gives about $22000 a year for private schools, but many private schools have a yellow ribbon program where they elect to contribute more and the VA matches it. Definitely not a path for everyone, but you can get your MD debt free without a service commitmen afterward (like with USUHS/HPSP).

I had over $50,000 from undergrad, so, no. But key word is delinquent here.

How much to invest in Bitcoin to earn around 200k even if Bitcoin doubles?

This is not so easy anymore when you could invest hundreds and pull out thousands. with Bitcoin being over 16K, you have to invest a lot. Risks are high now.

Good point. Try another crypto-currency ;) I think risks have always been high since so much is unknown about it.

Sorry to be reviving a 1+ year thread but I am curious about this.
For private loans (through a bank), in obtaining medical school loans, can a good credit score help secure a low interest rate? is that relevant at all?

For private loans (through a bank), in obtaining medical school loans, can a good credit score help secure a low interest rate? is that relevant at all?

Yes, or if you have a parent with a good credit score and income co-sign for you as well.

• Sad

Keep in mind these are ineligible for federal forgiveness programs.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users