Financial Aid: When do I start filling out FAFSA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cecetot

Reaction score
I applied to a lot of schools this cycle and I’m just wondering when and where can I begin the FAFSA process? Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

You can begin it now! You'll just have to list all of your possible school options so that they can access your information.

Reactions: 1 user
You can begin it now! You'll just have to list all of your possible school options so that they can access your information.
Oh wonderful!! Okay I wasn’t sure if I needed an actual acceptance before I needed to start. I assume it’s the same way as if I filled it out for undergrad? Like needing parents info, things like that? Same website and everything as well but would there be an option for gradschool? Also when is the due date typically? Thanks for your reply! Sorry just want to make sure 😅

Members don't see this ad :)
It’s been a very long time since I filled that out but I am pretty sure that everyone is considered an independent for grad school loans, so they shouldn’t really need your parents info. There’s not much in the way of options for grad school…you’re guaranteed to get the total cost of attendance in direct and gradplus loans so there’s honestly no reason to rush on filling it out other than to check it off. They say to fill it out early for undergrad because some state grants and things like Pell grants are first come first serve but we don’t usually get those for vet school. I’m pretty sure I filled mine out in the summer like June/July and everything was fine come August. So while you can do it early it’s not a huge deal to wait.

Reactions: 1 user
It’s been a very long time since I filled that out but I am pretty sure that everyone is considered an independent for grad school loans, so they shouldn’t really need your parents info. There’s not much in the way of options for grad school…you’re guaranteed to get the total cost of attendance in direct and gradplus loans so there’s honestly no reason to rush on filling it out other than to check it off. They say to fill it out early for undergrad because some state grants and things like Pell grants are first come first serve but we don’t usually get those for vet school. I’m pretty sure I filled mine out in the summer like June/July and everything was fine come August. So while you can do it early it’s not a huge deal to wait.
You rock!! Thank you so so much for answering my question so thoroughly!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think including your parent's info is the only way to be considered for the Health Professions Loan, which is the only subsidized loan available for veterinary students. So that's definitely a good loan to try to get.

Reactions: 4 users
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think including your parent's info is the only way to be considered for the Health Professions Loan, which is the only subsidized loan available for veterinary students. So that's definitely a good loan to try to get.
This is true! Def include your parents info if you can!

Reactions: 1 users