Financial aid scares the $$$ out of me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CrazyCarl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've just now started to get all my materials together for my financial aid applications, and it's all really daunting to me. My parents are divorced, which only complicates matters. My questions are:

1. Should I be applying to each and every school to which I applied, including those that haven't even invited me to an interview yet?

2. Does every school have different (school-specific)supplementary applications for fin aid?

3. When should I be finished with all these applications? Is it necessary or even helpful to submit fin aid apps early in the process? I heard that if I wait until March or April to finish all this crap, I won't get my packages in time to make a decision before May 15th, true?

I would also be eternally grateful for any good links about financial aid. Thanks so much for your help! I felt much more prepared for the regular application process...

Members don't see this ad.

1. Should I be applying to each and every school to which I applied, including those that haven't even invited me to an interview yet?

Yes! Financial aid is first come first serve. Don't wait just because you didn't hear from a school. Put down as many of the schools as you can.

2. Does every school have different (school-specific)supplementary applications for fin aid?

I know all the schools require the FAFSA, and if they have their own supplementary application then they will send it to you accordingly. But most of the information schools require will be on your FAFSA.

3. When should I be finished with all these applications? Is it necessary or even helpful to submit fin aid apps early in the process? I heard that if I wait until March or April to finish all this crap, I won't get my packages in time to make a decision before May 15th, true?

You better fill out FAFSA by the early March deadline or you will not be eligible for the maximum amount of money awarded to you. Do not wait. Always do financial aid early. Get it done in January, the first month that you can turn it in. No ifs ands or buts. If you don't have exact numbers because you haven't filed yet, that is no problem at all...just give estimated numbers.

Also...any and all information that I have presented you should be doubled checked by a financial aid office. But for the most part, I've heard enough of these to be pretty sure of everything I have said.