Financial Aid for Pharmacy School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Big PharmD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Need some help,

I have been accepted to Pharmacy School :D, only thing is I owe $90,000 in student loans (I have a BA and a MPA) my question is how much financial aid is available to me, my credit score isn't that good so private loans are out. Any advice would be appriciated

Members don't see this ad.

$20,500 a year in Stafford loans at 6.8%, up to your cost of attendance in grad plus at 8.5% if you need more (as long as you don't have any serious problems with your credit report), a maximum of $224,000 between all of your staffords from all of your time in school, and grad plus has no aggregate limit.

Can anyone help me please?

When filing FAFSA, there was one question regarding in your upcoming college level or what degree(s) you're pursuing? Do you put it as "professional/graduate" program as you entering Pharmacy School or "5th year undergraduate"?

Do you considered first year pharmacy school as a graduate program? or still undergraduate?

What private loan can I take as a first year pharmacy student? And again, would I use the undergraduate loan? or graduate loan?

I would call the school that I'm enrolled in right now for help. But they a pain in the butt to get in touch with :confused:. So if anyone can shed some lights on me that would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone help me please?

When filing FAFSA, there was one question regarding in your upcoming college level or what degree(s) you're pursuing? Do you put it as "professional/graduate" program as you entering Pharmacy School or "5th year undergraduate"?

From a University of Kentucky website:

DEFINITIONS
Dependent – a student that is required to provide parental information on the FAFSA

Independent – a student that is not required to provide parental information the FAFSA

Undergraduate – for financial aid purposes for Pharmacy students it is a student that has completed under 132 hours

Graduate – for financial aid purposes for Pharmacy students it is a student who has completed at least 132 hours

"Do you considered first year pharmacy school as a graduate program? or still undergraduate?"

If you have either an undergraduate degree or have completed four years of a six year program and have 132 credit hours, it appears you would be considered a graduate student.

"What private loan can I take as a first year pharmacy student? And again, would I use the undergraduate loan? or graduate loan?"

You will qualify for Stafford and Grad Plus loans, up to the cost of attendance. You may not need private loans, unless you plan on borrowing more than the COA (cost of attendance). The financial aid department at your school should be able to direct you here.

FEDERAL STAFFORD ANNUAL LOAN MAXIMUMS:

Subsidized / Unsubsidized / Total: GRADUATE and PHARMACY STUDENTS $8,500 / $12,000/ $20,500

AGGREGATE/LIFETIME BORROWING LIMITS: Total Unsubsidized/Subsidized: Pharmacy $224,000/$65,500

Last edited:
hey Lesley,

Thank you for replying. I think I have a pretty good idea where to go from here with your info. I appreciated it, thanks

Whats the place for Scholorhsip oppurtunites for Pharm school?

The best hope you may have is the schools you are applying to. If your grades are good, they may show you some incentive, i.e. grants. Good luck.

Lol is it still considered Grad school if you did 3 years undergrad and gained admission to pharmacy school?