Financial Aid For M1's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soon2bmd

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
As far as financial aid goes, I was just wondering, on average, when you should have all of your financial aid worked out with relation to the school year. I'll give you a little example, the background behind my concern. My orientation week for year 1 starts in 6 days. However, I am yet to see even a promissary note. Upon contacting the financial aid office at my institution, they say my fin aid package (as well as all the others in my class) are going to be processed this week. So best I can figure, I'll receive it in the next three days, and then mail it(which will take three days including a sunday). Does this see odd to anyone??? Is this type of disorganization common in medical school offices??? I mean, when I borrowed for undergrad, I got my loan processed six months in advance, and I picked up my check the day that classes started. I open to get some opinions on this...

soon2bmd

Members don't see this ad.

Don't kinow what to say. They will probably try to do everything electronically which will make things go a bit faster. It doesn't take too long to process the financial aid forms once you submit the Master Promissory Note. Private loans are another matter and usually take longer than the private loans. They will probably get everything straightened out during orientation.

Unfortunately, I don't think your situation is all that uncommon. I know when I started last year, I didn't receive my aid until six weeks after classes started. This year, I had ALL of my financial aid paperwork done (both FAFSA & school required) by February 15th...yet my aid wasn't processed until last Friday....and I won't actually GET the disbursement until Aug.31st (which is a Friday, so I probably won't get it until the NEXT week!)

Personally, I don't know WHY they do it this way. Your tuition & books should be okay since most schools have deferred payment for both if you're receiving financial aid, but for the life of me I've never figured out how they expect you to pay rent and buy food for a month or two without it!!! I also don't understand why they only make budgets for 10 months...like we just live in cardboard boxes for those other two, I guess.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do they budget 10 months for all 4 years? At my school, I was told it is 10 months for MS1 and MS4 while it is a full year for the 2 mid years.

I have no idea...but I sure HOPE they give us the full-year's worth since we'll BE THERE the whole time!

Cobragirl, i know how u feel. I'm still waiting and school starts in like 2 days! At least the FA office lady read me my FA package over the phone. :)

foxy and Cobra-
does UF (or any Florida state school) give scholarships? I had a pre-med friend ask me that and I told him probably not or only very little to a few students that need it.
I no longer have any of their 'financial aid talk' with me.

Michigan is the only state school that I know for sure that gives substantial scholarships. what others? and how many/much?