Financial Aid Awards after First Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jojay

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received my financial aid award notice for my first year a few weeks back and am pretty pleased as I have received an institutional scholarship. I am just curious as to how the awards in subsequent years compares to your first year award. From everyone's experience are the awards pretty consistent throughout your stay or what you receive the first year does not have any relation to what you may receive in subsequent years? Has anyone ever heard of some schools giving you enticing first year awards to lure you into going to their school?

Just don't want to be naïve or assume too much going forward. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

jojay said:
I received my financial aid award notice for my first year a few weeks back and am pretty pleased as I have received an institutional scholarship. I am just curious as to how the awards in subsequent years compares to your first year award. From everyone's experience are the awards pretty consistent throughout your stay or what you receive the first year does not have any relation to what you may receive in subsequent years? Has anyone ever heard of some schools giving you enticing first year awards to lure you into going to their school?

Just don't want to be naïve or assume too much going forward. Thanks.
Sounds like you already have knowledge about the program from what you said. It totally depends on the school and the award. Some are renewable no matter what, other may be renewed based on certain circumstances, others are one time gifts. They love to "lure" when possible. Beware of those schools. You may want it in writing that you'll have the gift all four years. My wife was offered a full-ride scholarship to UAB law school a few years back. We didn't see anything about it being renewable. We called to ask and sure enough, it was just for the first year. After asking, we got a call from the dean and his response was, we can renew it each year if you stay in the top 10 % (or something like that) portion of your class. My wife is a good negotiator and attorney so she negotiated that stipulation out of the deal on top of getting a laptop and all her books included. I was excited until Vanderbilt lured her away with a scholarship as well. But, now she's a Vandy lawyer and we are all so proud of her. Some scholarships are negotiable, others are not. Poor little 'ol me got nothing for Med School this year. I'm hoping your title is correct and maybe I'll get some for next year. I fear having massive debt when I graduate because I want to work with the impoverished, rural communities, and do lots missions work. I will not be able to do that and pay off large amounts of loans. But, for the moment, I am just thrilled to have been accepted so many places and to have the opportunity to attend med school as so many do not have such an opportunity.