Financial Advisor? Fee-based versus AUM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharMed2016

Eternal Scholar
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I had a meeting with a financial advisor yesterday who presumably got my number from the University. They were explaining to me their reimbursement structure which involves getting fees from whatever financial institution that I am associated with for the account that they help me open. The person goes on tell me its not fee-based or assets under management (AUM). From what it sounds like... the financial institution would charge me a certain amount in management fees and they would get a portion of that. I have a self directed Roth IRA which low cost ETFs and a 403b invested the same way... does that mean that they would get a fraction of the basis point cost for the ETF? I wasn't really following them since I have never heard of the reimbursement structure. Sounds more like assets under management.

Thanks everyone,
PharMed2016

Members don't see this ad.

Smells like front-loaded mutual funds or something -- a rip off. If you want to use an advisor, look for someone who is fee based and get some recommendations.

Reactions: 2 users
It sounds like you already have some kind of financial base to work off of. Stick to a 3 fund portfolio and you'll do well. Forget the financial advisor and just read some a few financial books. You'll get more out of that than this guy.