finally.. the MS-4 THREAD!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
starting up an away at denver in a week, currently finishing up my home at metrohealth. metro is diggity dope, hoping for more of the same in the rockies. feel free to hit me up with q's and best to all...i'll see you on the interview trails! :horns:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey RayF if you have any questions about mcg just let me know, I did my rotation there in June

RayF said:
arrowhead.. how do u like it there..
it's the westernU affiliate, right?
are the residents happy there?

cheers

Sorry, I should have said "starting Monday."

I used to roll into the ED to do admissions when I was on Medicine.

It's a Western affiliate.

Residents seem happy, but I've asked one directly.

I'll post more further into the rotation.

I'd ask all the M4's reading this thread to post their experiences here and perhaps also scutwork. That site hasn't had recent reviews in quite some time.

Members don't see this ad :)
When does interview season usually start? mid-November?
I'm trying to schedule some 'interview-friendly' electives, and want to know how late I can schedule electives that aren't so flexible with taking time off for interviews.

Thanks in advance!

tkim said:
Sorry, I should have said "starting Monday."

I used to roll into the ED to do admissions when I was on Medicine.

It's a Western affiliate.

Residents seem happy, but I've asked one directly.

I'll post more further into the rotation.

I'd ask all the M4's reading this thread to post their experiences here and perhaps also scutwork. That site hasn't had recent reviews in quite some time.

I just finished up at Arrowhead and had a really good experience there. Residents seem pretty happy and for the most part everyone I came across from interns on up to attending were more than willing to teach. PM me if you have any more questions.

I am going to Scott & White in August. Anyone else going to be there? After that, I am going out to the Univ of Mississippi at Jackson.

Looking forward to checking out an ED with a residency program!

EM_Rebuilder said:
I am going to Scott & White in August. Anyone else going to be there? After that, I am going out to the Univ of Mississippi at Jackson.

Looking forward to checking out an ED with a residency program!

I am an MS-III, and went to college 30 miles from Scott & White. I am interested in doing a rotation there as a 4th year, and would love to hear from you about it after you are done.

OSUdoc08 said:
I am an MS-III, and went to college 30 miles from Scott & White. I am interested in doing a rotation there as a 4th year, and would love to hear from you about it after you are done.

Baylor?

In any case, I'm a second year there and would be happy to answer any questions you have about the place.

Take care,
Jeff

has anyone rotated where they expect you to dress up? my home-base has that policy, scrubs only allowed for oncall.. :confused:

RayF said:
has anyone rotated where they expect you to dress up? my home-base has that policy, scrubs only allowed for oncall.. :confused:

My hospital requires that, unless you are in the ER, OR, or L&D.

RayF said:

Even though it seems like scurbs are kosher in most ED's, I will certainly be sporting my tie on the first day until I am told otherwise....

EM_Rebuilder said:
Even though it seems like scurbs are kosher in most ED's, I will certainly be sporting my tie on the first day until I am told otherwise....

I've NEVER seen a tie in the ED.

They are contraindicated, in my opinion.

My experience is with most of the ED's in Texas and Oklahoma.

OSUdoc08 said:

They are contraindicated, in my opinion.

Wow, dude - you are SO dogmatic.

I wore a tie during the day for my first two years in the ED.

And I never got choked, spit on, puked on, pissed on, **** on, bled on, vag DCd on, or anything else.

As others will attest to, I will tell you that, regardless of how fomitic they may be, there is no link to disease.

And, seeing as there are ~5000 EDs in the US (most of them being community), your sample size is small.

Members don't see this ad :)
Apollyon said:
Wow, dude - you are SO dogmatic.

I wore a tie during the day for my first two years in the ED.

And I never got choked, spit on, puked on, pissed on, **** on, bled on, vag DCd on, or anything else.

As others will attest to, I will tell you that, regardless of how fomitic they may be, there is no link to disease.

And, seeing as there are ~5000 EDs in the US (most of them being community), your sample size is small.

Ok. I'll edit the above post.

MushieCookie said:
When does interview season usually start? mid-November?
I'm trying to schedule some 'interview-friendly' electives, and want to know how late I can schedule electives that aren't so flexible with taking time off for interviews.

Thanks in advance!

Interview season...anyone? lol...

Interpolfanclub said:
UNC Chapel Hill in a week

Yo Interpol,

Drop me a line. I'm at UNC now and will be doing my month there next week too.

Anyone else coming to UNC is welcome to do the same. :)

it cracks me up that some programs have application fees to consider a 4th year student for an elective!
Key word is consider, they wont even return your money if they don't give you a spot for whatever reason..

RayF said:
it cracks me up that some programs have application fees to consider a 4th year student for an elective!
Key word is consider, they wont even return your money if they don't give you a spot for whatever reason..

Application fees for away elective??? How much cash are we talking here?

Hawk22 said:
Application fees for away elective??? How much cash are we talking here?

50$ at UNC!

ElZorro said:
50$ at UNC!

50$??? I know we're a state hospital, but that's steep....

some places...$200/app.

MushieCookie said:
some places...$200/app.

I know!! I'm sure they realize that by 4th year, all of our credit cards are maxed out, we're getting ready to spend a whole bunch on traveling, hotels, USMLE, and what not..
I'm sorry, but that 200$ was rationed as the in-and-out burger money.. Do u know how many burgers u can buy with 200 bucks? :mad:
where's docB when we need him/her ?

Speaking of docB & In&Out.....

The AAEM Scientific Assembly is in Vegas in March 2007. We should try to get a nice size group to go. I've already cleared it with the wife and I'm pretty sure I'm on a rural med rotation that month. Anyone else planning on going?

OSUdoc08 said:

I get to wear my PJs to work these days, but as a student at my home school (UTMB), I had to wear a tie and my white coat in the ER.

We have to wear a tie anywhere in our hospital (and multiple clinics) if we are not:

1) in the ER, OR or any of our flavors of ICU
2) on call

If I'm not in scrubs in the ER, I have to be in a tie.

Yuck.

Take care,
Jeff

Apollyon said:
512 hospitals in TX, and 153 in OK. Even if it's half, you've spent time in the ED of more than 330 hospitals?

You're right. I'm sure there are a few exceptions. I've never seen it. I think I've seen a pretty large sample size, though.

MushieCookie said:
Interview season...anyone? lol...

october/november I think is the earliest. BTW if anyone needs a place to crash while inteviewing in FL, you're welcome at my place. It'll be 200 USD... u know, burger money. :D

step II CK tomorrow...good times!

MushieCookie said:
step II CK tomorrow...good times!
Good luck! I am taking it on Friday. :scared: Fool-proof way to pass... short breaks of homemade chocolate chip cookies in between blocks. Guaranteed to increase you score by 10 points! :p YUUUMMMMMYYY COOOOOOOOKKKIIEESS! (there should be a cookie monster smilie.) That is my plan. They really should mention these things in med school. :thumbup:

trkd...check your PM when you get a chance...

Step II CK on Thursday for me. Still working on Kap questions and looking through FA.

I might go for the home made cookies thing.... That would be a nice break tomorrow night. For Step I, I took apples and handi snacks!

On a sour note, I am taking this step in a different town than last time. Problem is, the test center is on a campus and they tell me I have to park on the other side of campus in visitor parking. Last time, I took my breaks by going and sitting in my truck and certianly wish to do that again. Now I am trying to decide if I should park close and risk a ticket (or towed?) or just comply and park near a mile away. One way or another, I think I will file a complaint with NBME and Prometric about this testing center as they should have designated parking near the test site. Anyone else run into this before?

EM_Rebuilder said:
Step II CK on Thursday for me. Still working on Kap questions and looking through FA.

I might go for the home made cookies thing.... That would be a nice break tomorrow night. For Step I, I took apples and handi snacks!

On a sour note, I am taking this step in a different town than last time. Problem is, the test center is on a campus and they tell me I have to park on the other side of campus in visitor parking. Last time, I took my breaks by going and sitting in my truck and certianly wish to do that again. Now I am trying to decide if I should park close and risk a ticket (or towed?) or just comply and park near a mile away. One way or another, I think I will file a complaint with NBME and Prometric about this testing center as they should have designated parking near the test site. Anyone else run into this before?
Nothing like a ticket or a missing car to end a 9hr test day. I wouldn't bother. Just take your stuff with you and find a place to chill by the test center.

RayF said:
As an MS4, I never dressed up on audition rotations, just wore scrubs... however, once I got into residency, I wore a shirt/tie during the day for the majority of my shifts. Not in FT and usually not after being hung-over. Now that I'm done, I still wear a shirt and tie during the day shifts. late evening/fast track shifts I don't... but its a habit I've done, and it looks a helluva lot more professional. Two of the attendings at my residency did it (one had been doing it for 30+ years, the other was maybe 4-5 years out and did it), and kind of liked the idea. It does make you look a lot better and more professional. (I need all the help I can get). From a student standpoint, it can only be viewed as a positive thing to dress up.

Q

If an applicant has both Step I and II, which does the PD put more stock in?

1. below average step I 187-210 with above average step II 216-230

2. above average step I 216-230 with crappy step II 187-210

obviously a PD would prefer above average on both. I did a search and it seems like a lot of people have differing views on the subject.

Also, I'm tired of studying for step II :laugh: .

so how did everyone do??
my brain is mash-potato, I tell u.
getting direction to a street called "donny walker", or something.. I kept asking for Dandy-Walker... no one had a clue. some were looking at me weird :smuggrin:

delirium... feels good.
BTW, no questions on dandy-walker on step 2, in case you're wondering. Female stuff was really heavy though. if it's your last few days before step 2 maybe u wanna focus on ob/gyn.

BadVB750 said:
If an applicant has both Step I and II, which does the PD put more stock in?

1. below average step I 187-210 with above average step II 216-230

2. above average step I 216-230 with crappy step II 187-210

obviously a PD would prefer above average on both. I did a search and it seems like a lot of people have differing views on the subject.

Also, I'm tired of studying for step II :laugh: .

PDs like BKN and others have said step 1 is weighed more because they can compare it across all applicants since everyone (except for maybe some DOs who took Comlex without USMLE) has taken it .. As such it is more.. but if you screw step 2 badly i have to believe that will weigh against you.

EctopicFetus said:
PDs like BKN and others have said step 1 is weighed more because they can compare it across all applicants since everyone (except for maybe some DOs who took Comlex without USMLE) has taken it .. As such it is more.. but if you screw step 2 badly i have to believe that will weigh against you.
Darn it! :( I am going to go back to waiting tables if my step 2 doesn't make up for my step 1 later this year. :cool:

How many programs are you guys planning on applying too? I'm thinking about applying to about 40 programs.

RayF said:
so how did everyone do??
my brain is mash-potato, I tell u.
getting direction to a street called "donny walker", or something.. I kept asking for Dandy-Walker... no one had a clue. some were looking at me weird :smuggrin:

delirium... feels good.
BTW, no questions on dandy-walker on step 2, in case you're wondering. Female stuff was really heavy though. if it's your last few days before step 2 maybe u wanna focus on ob/gyn.

I hope my test is OB heavy. According to my little QBank stats, I hav a 77% in OB/Gyn down to a 51% on Pediatrics. I dont feel like I know OB any better but some of that congenital stuff in Peds just tears me up. Its the day before the test and I am just studying Peds and Stats/Ethical stuff today...

EctopicFetus said:

So...it can only hurt me :scared: EF, Not the pep talk I needed at T-minus 5 days before step 2 dude! As a DO with below average Step 1, I was told by my SAEM advisor (a PD at a large academic institution) that an above average Step 2 would help quite a bit. Sure, it may not help them compare me to a student who hasn't taken step 2 yet...but can it help keep them from totally rejecting me for fear I'm a complete *******? :laugh:

Cheecheroo said:
So...it can only hurt me :scared: EF, Not the pep talk I needed at T-minus 5 days before step 2 dude! As a DO with below average Step 1, I was told by my SAEM advisor (a PD at a large academic institution) that an above average Step 2 would help quite a bit. Sure, it may not help them compare me to a student who hasn't taken step 2 yet...but can it help keep them from totally rejecting me for fear I'm a complete *******? :laugh:

Cheech,

That's why they call it a test. Do your best. You'll get training.

EctopicFetus said:

Other PD's I've talked to over the last few months have said the opposite. They told me that an above average Step 2 score would actually negate a somewhat subpar Step 1 score, since they are more interested in clinical knowledge. However, the number one factor is still SLORs from your away rotations.

Gee, taking Step II CS next week. CK not until the end of the month. Anyone else worried that this new "keeping scores for a short while so we can better standardize them" is going to prevent scores from coming out before Oct 31? I distinctly remember the post office losing my first two AMCAS applications, as that was directly after 9/11 and their post office was an "anthrax magnet."

Well...it's over. Took step II CK, it was pretty much like UW.
A few questions...I really didn't have an idea...thank god it was only a few.

Most, pretty straightforward. A few 'tricky' questions...but not too tricky if you know what to look for I guess.

Anywho...definitely doable. We'll see how 'lucky' I get with some of my educated and 'not so educated' guesses in a month!

Good luck to everyone else!

IbnSina said:
CK not until the end of the month. Anyone else worried that this new "keeping scores for a short while so we can better standardize them" is going to prevent scores from coming out before Oct 31?

From the NBME website:

"Normal score reporting for Step 2 Clinical Knowledge (CK) usually occurs in 3-4 weeks. However, because of necessary modifications to the test item pool, it will be necessary to delay the reporting of scores of some examinees for an additional 3-4 weeks beyond the normal turnaround period. The target date for reporting Step 2 CK scores for most examinees testing from August 3 through the middle of August will be Wednesday, September 13, 2006."

http://www.usmle.org/step2/Step2CKrep.htm

It sounds like they'll only delay reporting scores for some test-takers, not everyone. To me, it sounds like if you take the test by about Sept 1st you'll get your score back before Deans Letters go out Nov 1st.

substanceP said:
From the NBME website:

"Normal score reporting for Step 2 Clinical Knowledge (CK) usually occurs in 3-4 weeks. However, because of necessary modifications to the test item pool, it will be necessary to delay the reporting of scores of some examinees for an additional 3-4 weeks beyond the normal turnaround period. The target date for reporting Step 2 CK scores for most examinees testing from August 3 through the middle of August will be Wednesday, September 13, 2006."

Not arguing with you by any means, but isn't the middle of August roughly 4 weeks from 13 September? So, 4 weeks plus an additional 4 weeks would make it, uh, still 4 weeks? I could see it being 6 weeks from the third of August, adding 3 weeks and 3 weeks. I'm just wary. Taking it on the 31st should give me plenty of time, and I'm not changing my dates, but I'm also not going to hold my breath, since I'll be busy on my aways.

substanceP said:
From the NBME website:

http://www.usmle.org/step2/Step2CKrep.htm

It sounds like they'll only delay reporting scores for some test-takers, not everyone. To me, it sounds like if you take the test by about Sept 1st you'll get your score back before Deans Letters go out Nov 1st.
Sucks. I take it on Friday.