finally joined SDN, quick question about volunteer work

DrHoosier

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I've been a lurker for a long time on here, and I think SDN is the best site online lol. But anyways, I am a senior in high school graduating in one month and was considering doing some volunteer work at a local hospital. My question is, will this be something that I can put on my application to med school, or is this still considered hs stuff? This has probably already been asked but I couldn't find it, thanks for the help

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, I've been a lurker for a long time on here, and I think SDN is the best site online lol. But anyways, I am a senior in high school graduating in one month and was considering doing some volunteer work at a local hospital. My question is, will this be something that I can put on my application to med school, or is this still considered hs stuff? This has probably already been asked but I couldn't find it, thanks for the help

I'd say, as long as you continued your volunteering as a college student, you could include it.

Hey, Hoosier!

Welcome to hSDN!

Unfortunately it won't be considered on your Med School App, but you can always put it on your HS apps, it'll be good for your resume and scholarships.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say, as long as you continued your volunteering as a college student, you could include it.

Really? Would you be able to keep adding on the hours?

Volunteer at the same hospital and add up the hours. I'm sure you could continue it from the summer after high school.

Really? Would you be able to keep adding on the hours?

I don't think it'd be a big deal as long as you don't stop volunteering before you actually enroll in college. I mean after you graduate from HS, you're technically not a high schooler anymore.

That's why! I missed the senior in high school bit... sorry guys... spastic moment.

As many have said, as long as you continue the volunteering into your college years it can be included in your app. Remember volunteering doesn't necessarily have to be medically related. Many students volunteer in ERs and such because it's basically killing two birds with one stone, but it's not the only route to take. Volunteering in a hospital can give you decent patient exposure, or it can have zero. Make sure you understand the duties you'll be completing as a volunteer before beginning (if you're looking to get clinical experience and volunteering at the same time.)
I volunteer with one medically related organization and one non. Have fun and find an area that you are truly interested in. Don't invest countless hours in one place if it's only to put on your application...it'll feel more like work than anything else!

Great opportunity to build on your experiences over time by getting more and more responsibility over time. I did this with my main two ECs and it has been very effective in my apps this year. Good luck and welcome! :welcome: