Finalizing school list--input appreciated!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skkkkrt

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any insight is super welcomed!!

Year in school: graduated 2018 (taking two gap years) with a BS in Neuroscience and minors in Chemistry and Religious Studies
Country/state of residence: Wisconsin
Cumulative GPA: 3.85
Science GPA: 3.76
MCAT Scores: 515
Other relevant things: not applying disadvantaged, but from a heavily underserved/rural population and this is going to be a big part of my secondaries (only 40% of my HS graduating class went on to college)

Employment history:
  • Radiation Oncology clinical research coordinator (4000 hours)--run and manage clinical trials, doing everything from data management, admin tasks, regulatory compliance, and most importantly, see patients during treatment and on follow up (approx 1000 clinical hours)
  • Daycare worker (300 hours) during college
  • Teaching Assistant in biology lab (500 hours)
  • Resident assistant (500 hours)
Research (2200 hrs)
  • 1500 hours in Chemical Therapeutics Lab
    • coauthor on two publications in mid tier journals
    • poster presentation at undergrad research conference
    • oral presentation at ACS Regional conference (3rd place prize)
    • Barry M Goldwater Scholarship honorable mention
  • 500 hours in clinical hematology
    • coauthor on abstract published in top tier hematology journal
    • coauthor on poster presented at national conference
  • 200 hours in fMRI lab
    • Actually did this while I was studying abroad...worked on a lit review that may some day get published but we'll see about that
Volunteering
  • NICU (two different hospitals)--500 hours total
  • homeless shelter, playing with children experiencing homelessness (100 hours)
Physician shadowing – include hours/specialties:
  • 8 hours--palliative care physician (in patient follow ups)
  • 8 hours--sports medicine (out patient follow ups)
  • 8 hours--orthopedic surgeon (shadowed during joint reconstruction)
  • 8 hours--radiation oncologist (follow ups, consults, on treatment visits)

Extracurricular activities/misc things
  • Part of a national nonprofit supporting women in STEM (serve as a mentor, review applications, speak at annual fundraising events).
  • Member, then director of college dance company (500 hours)
  • Charity runner--have run three half marathons to raise money for various hospitals I have worked at
  • Studied abroad for 6 months and conducted research there (see research above)
  • Board member of Active Minds (mental health awareness and advocacy) (200 hours)

Schools:
Columbia
Harvard
Mount Sinai
Duke

Emory
Brown University
Boston University
Einstein
Case Western
Hofstra
Dartmouth
Kaiser

U Wisconsin
U Maryland
U Mass (currently living here, have in state ties)
Tufts
Temple
CUSM
Jefferson
Georgetown
EVMS

Wake Forest
UVM
SC Greenville
Drexel
Virginia Tech
Tulane
Quinnipac
Stony Brook
Rutgers
UMass

Members don't see this ad.

You have a good list and should receive several interviews. You could remove schools such as Rutgers, SC Greenville, Virginia Tech since they accept few non residents with no connection to the state of region.

You have a good list and should receive several interviews. You could remove schools such as Rutgers, SC Greenville, Virginia Tech since they accept few non residents with no connection to the state of region.
Thank you so much! Do you have any that you think would be beneficial to add? I have a lot so I am not too concerned, but also not opposed to adding after I take off those mentioned (others have echoed your recs to a T).