Fill out FAFSA if parents can afford to pay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ruban

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am terrifically blessed: my parents can afford to finance my medical education for me. That said, I would like to be eligible for grants and other scholarships that schools might have to offer. Should I fill out a FAFSA to be eligible for such aid? And is there any obligation to accept the aid that FAFSA offers?

Thank you,
Ruban

Members don't see this ad.

well.... lucky you! sure, fill it out -- you don't have to take what they offer you. but the schools (as i understand it -- correct me, anyone, if i'm wrong) use your parents' info to assess whether or not to give you any institutional aid. that being said, uh, good luck getting a dime out of the schools, especially grants. those just won't happen if your parents have all that money. you should ask the schools about merit-based awards, and apply for those. it can never hurt to fill out the FAFSA. in my case, my parents could pay only if they decided to disown my three siblings, so i'm asking the government to help me out on this one... ;)