Fifth Pathway

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mellsworth21

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was reading about the "Fifth Pathway" program. And it said that you need to have graduated from a US University, to be able to go to the Caribbean and come back and practice medicine. IS this true? Does anyone know anything about this program. I got the link of off valuemd.com. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

So yes I must graduate her in the states? I was sure that if I just meet the Pre-Reqs I would be fine. Is this fifth pathway a law? Im confussed

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I gathered more today this seems as if it is an option not a requirement, can anyone help me?

No, fifth pathway is not a requirement.

If you describe your situation, people might be able to provide answers that suit you. We don't know, for example, where you're doing your undergrad. We don't know why you're asking in the Caribbean forum. We don't know if you're a US resident or citizen. Help us help you.

Fifth pathway is GREAT if you're eligible. It makes entry to the US residency system much easier. Only three US schools offer a fifth pathway, so I assume it's extremely competitive.

If you're not a US citizen or permanent US resident, there's no particular advantage, that I know of, in going to a Caribbean school vs. any other international school that's on the approved list.

Many, many foreign medical students get US residencies. The governing body is www.ecfmg.org. You have to demonstrate English proficiency and take the USMLE, and usually you can get a noncompetitive specialty and location.

Best of luck to you.

The Fifth Pathway Program

What is a Pathway?

A pathway is an approved avenue to residency training at a U.S. hospital, which completes a medical student’s education. Before 1971, there were four pathways:

Graduation from a U.S. medical school
Certification by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG)
Full and unrestricted licensure by a U.S. licensing jurisdiction
Passing the Spanish language licensing examination in Puerto Rico.
But in 1971, a new pathway was created – the Fifth Pathway.

What is the Fifth Pathway?

An avenue by which students who have attended four years at a foreign medical school may complete their supervised clinical work at a U.S. medical school, become eligible for entry to U.S. residency training, and ultimately obtain a license to practice in the U.S.

Who can qualify for a Fifth Pathway?

Only students who:

Graduated from an accredited American college or university;
Studied medicine at a medical school located outside the United States that is listed in World Health Organization's World Directory of Medical Schools and which requires a year or more of internship/social service (beyond the four years of medical school) before receiving a medical degree;
Completed all formal requirements of their foreign medical school except the final year(s) of clinical work/social service.
Students must be a citizen, resident alien, or Canadian Citizen with a student visa.
How are Fifth Pathway students different from International Medical Graduates?

Fifth Pathway students do not graduate from a foreign medical school. They leave early, and complete a final year of medical training in the U.S.
Fifth Pathway students receive no medical diploma from the U.S. medical school sponsoring their Fifth Pathway year of clinical education. They receive a ‘Certificate of Completion,’ which is accepted in lieu of a diploma in virtually all U.S. licensing jurisdictions.
The Fifth Pathway certificate is the Fifth Pathway physician’s medical credential.
How can I verify a physician's Fifth Pathway credentials?

The Fifth Pathway is a relatively rare credential. In the past thirty years, only about seven thousand have been awarded, so approximately 1 percent of practicing physicians in the U.S. hold the credential.

To obtain an AMA Physician Profile to verify a physician's Fifth Pathway credentials, please call (800) 665-2882 or visit the www.ama-assn.org/amaprofiles. Verification can also be achieved by contacting the physician's foreign medical school and the U.S. school that sponsored the physician's Fifth Pathway year.

Current programs

The eligibility requirements to enter a Fifth Pathway program are set by the individual programs. Interested applicants should contact the programs directly for complete information. Currently, the LCME Accredited Medical School Programs that sponsor the 5th Pathway program are:

New York Medical College
Munger Pavilion, Suite 173
Valhalla, NY 10595
(914) 594-3651 New York Medical College, which has successfully administered its Fifth Pathway Program for thirty years, has a service agreement with the American Medical Association which includes automatic AMA student membership.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mount Sinai School of Medicine of New York University
One Gustave L. Levy Place
New York, NY 10029-6574

Ponce School of Medicine

Fifth Pathway Program
PO Box 7004
Ponce, PR 00732

Contact Marina Ramos by e-mail or call (312) 464-4662 for additional information regarding the Fifth Pathway Program.

By these rules graduates from the carrib schools do not qualify for the fifth pathway program. These programs were designed to help American Students in Mexican Medical schools come back to the US sooner. In Mexico after your first 4 years you are not yet given your MD. You are required to do a 1 year internship and then a year of social service before you can receive your MD and apply for residency. The way around that is to go into a fifth pathway program after your fourth year. You will be treated as a 4th year med student and at the end you will receive a certificate of completion and not an MD.

However if you complete the fifth pathway program and during or after residency you apply for a license to practice medicine in the state of New York you can also apply for the conferral of the MD diploma from the State of New York. ( This is what is normally done and you will then have your MD )

There are only three programs because they are not as needed as before. With most US students who go offshore going to the carrib they are getting their MD and do not need to go into another year of med school. If you have completed med school and have your MD you can apply for the year of supervised training through New York Medical College. It is basically the same as the fifth pathway program but you won't get the certificate. You will get the valuable year of US training and be able to get quality letters of recomendation.

Hope this helps.

I guess I am confused about everything dealing with the Caribbean because the financial sections show that you need to pay for 9.5-10 semesters. So the 5th path has nothing to do with Caribbean schools? Why 5 years for SGU etc.?

I guess I am confused about everything dealing with the Caribbean because the financial sections show that you need to pay for 9.5-10 semesters. So the 5th path has nothing to do with Caribbean schools? Why 5 years for SGU etc.?

You are correct in that the Fifth Pathway has nothing to do with the Caribbean schools. The financial sections for the other schools is a little confusing but they are 4 calender years. It shows 5 years so that tuition will seem lower but they are 4 year medical schools.