fever!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uL007

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i've been told not to use tylenol for the treatment of fever in surgical patients. i'm obviously missing something because i don't understand why.... do you? thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

i've been told not to use tylenol for the treatment of fever in surgical patients. i'm obviously missing something because i don't understand why.... do you? thanks in advance.

Fever can be an early sign of a complication or deterioration. By using Tylenol, you have the potential to suppress that early warning signal.

Fever can be an early sign of a complication or deterioration. By using Tylenol, you have the potential to suppress that early warning signal.

I understand that, but my question is after the proper fever w\u, why not give the pt some tylenol to make them feel better if the fever is bothering them?

Members don't see this ad :)
I understand that, but my question is after the proper fever w\u, why not give the pt some tylenol to make them feel better if the fever is bothering them?

The same reason some old surgeons don't like morphine for acute abdomens.
Being cruel to your patients=good surgeon

If the workup is done, and treatment is started, then by all means give the patient an antipyretic. But only if you have a source of the fever and it is being treated.

Can't believe no one's brought this up yet.

It's well documented in all respectable journals of surgery and medicine that if you've got a fever, the only cure...is more cowbell.

I struggle on a daily basis not to write that in my A/P.

1. Fever - 2/2 aspiration pna, no decrease in temp
- on day 3/7 of xyz antibiotics, continue
- consider more cowbell if fever persists

Last edited:
Hmmm...sorry my More Cowbell vid doesn't seem to work.

Well, deep in the depths of my hard drive, I found a copy of it that I saved to Media Player. It's not a high quality copy. I have no clue how to post it, though. (Yes, I really am that technologically backward, just one step up from stone tablets.) If it's not too complicated and you can tell me how to do it, I'll be glad to put it up. I have stupid Vista, BTW, if it matters.

Well, deep in the depths of my hard drive, I found a copy of it that I saved to Media Player. It's not a high quality copy. I have no clue how to post it, though. (Yes, I really am that technologically backward, just one step up from stone tablets.) If it's not too complicated and you can tell me how to do it, I'll be glad to put it up. I have stupid Vista, BTW, if it matters.

Tis easy.

When you post a message, you will see a tool bar with the standard stuff in the top left corner (Bold, Italics, etc.). Over on the far right you will see a link for You Tube...click on that and type the IRL in between the [YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE] boxes that appear.

For something from your hard drive, there is a paper clip on the toolbar for attaching documents, pictures, etc. I think it should work for videos as well.

PS I hate stupid Vista too.

Tis easy.

When you post a message, you will see a tool bar with the standard stuff in the top left corner (Bold, Italics, etc.). Over on the far right you will see a link for You Tube...click on that and type the IRL in between the [YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE] boxes that appear.

For something from your hard drive, there is a paper clip on the toolbar for attaching documents, pictures, etc. I think it should work for videos as well.

PS I hate stupid Vista too.

Herein lies the problem. When I pull up the video and R click on it, I don't get that. It doesn't give me the nice easy option to copy like I normally would. I tried.

This isn't the same copy I have stored on my hard drive, but I hope it will do:

http://www.funnyhub.com/videos/pages/videos/snl-more-cowbell.html

Not sure about right clicking on it, you should just be able to attach it as you would any other picture or document. :confused:

That's what I was trying to say...I can't retrieve the IRL. Sigh. I can't explain it. I told you it was complicated and that I am pathetic (and Vista rots--this wouldn't be happening to me on my old computer). :laugh: