Fermentation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dshnay

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a little bit confused with fermentation, does this process include glycolisis (EK states that it does) or is it just a seperate process?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

This is really just an issue of nomenclature, but yes, whenever I've heard it brought up glycolysis is included as a part of fermentation. I think that the Kaplan book might even say that. Here's the rationale:

For Glycolysis you need two NAD+ to create any ATP. This is because the step from GAP <==> 1,3-BPG requires one NAD+ and one Pi, and, this reaction happens twice for one glucose molecule. This step also occurs before either of the two ATP producing steps. Thus, you need those two NAD+ to produce any ATP.

Now in fermentation, we have:
Pyruvate <==> Ethanol (or Lactic Acid) with NADH -> NAD+ as a co-reaction. The fermentation step is absolutely required in anaerobic conditions for glycolysis to continue because it regenerates that NAD+ that is needed during the GAP <==> 1,3-BPG stage. Thus, fermentation is thought of as the entire process of Glycolysis through to lactate or ethanol creation.

This is really just an issue of nomenclature, but yes, whenever I've heard it brought up glycolysis is included as a part of fermentation. I think that the Kaplan book might even say that. Here's the rationale:

For Glycolysis you need two NAD+ to create any ATP. This is because the step from GAP <==> 1,3-BPG requires one NAD+ and one Pi, and, this reaction happens twice for one glucose molecule. This step also occurs before either of the two ATP producing steps. Thus, you need those two NAD+ to produce any ATP.

Now in fermentation, we have:
Pyruvate <==> Ethanol (or Lactic Acid) with NADH -> NAD+ as a co-reaction. The fermentation step is absolutely required in anaerobic conditions for glycolysis to continue because it regenerates that NAD+ that is needed during the GAP <==> 1,3-BPG stage. Thus, fermentation is thought of as the entire process of Glycolysis through to lactate or ethanol creation.

:thumbup:

Just want to note that pyruvate -> lactate is not considered fermentation, but an equivalent reaction called anaerobic respiration that takes place in body tissues under anaerobic exertion. Both regenerate NAD+, but only fermentation spends carbons.

:thumbup:

Just want to note that pyruvate -> lactate is not considered fermentation, but an equivalent reaction called anaerobic respiration that takes place in body tissues under anaerobic exertion. Both regenerate NAD+, but only fermentation spends carbons.

Ah okay, good to know. I didn't really think about that, but you are right.

Members don't see this ad :)
actually, lactic acid is fermentation (ie lactic acid fermentation). Fermentation is simply the process in which pyruvate is reduced (whether to ethanol or lactic acid) to regenerate NAD+. and i dont know how much nomenclature really matters, but anaerobic respiration includes both glycolosis and fermentation.

actually, lactic acid is fermentation (ie lactic acid fermentation). Fermentation is simply the process in which pyruvate is reduced (whether to ethanol or lactic acid) to regenerate NAD+. and i dont know how much nomenclature really matters, but anaerobic respiration includes both glycolosis and fermentation.
Yeah exactly. It is just nomenclature at this point. I just e-mailed both of my biochem profs and they disagreed on this point. haha. To the OP: I'd just go by whatever it says in the Kaplan or Princeton book.

haha i hate the nomenclature part of it because every book says something different. theres even differences in the kaplan and princeton books. i dont know...im just gonna follow the bio books and what they taught us in biochem classes. thanks for the clarification vihsadas:)