Fellowships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pedsid

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,
Anyone have any details on fellowships? Is it like gen surg where you have to take a few years off in residency to get a fellowship? I'm specifically referring to peds.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

According to the latest data from the AAO-HNS Bulletin (Nov 2005) since 1998 there were 65 applicants for pediatric otolaryngology with 67 available positions over the last 6 years with a 103% match rate (page 50). You do not need to take time off for research to get a fellowship.

Similar numbers for other fellowships are:

Facial plastics - 391 Apps 299 positions (76% match)
Otology - 115 Apps 100 positions (87% match)
Head and Neck - 1/3 of positions go unfilled each year.

Best of luck applying to our field.

Leforte

If you want a fellowship, all you have to do is apply. H&N, peds, otology, are all for the taking, with the most prestigious programs obviously being more competitive. For example, our peds oto program is looking for a fellow for this next year, even though its a pretty good fellowship. The only exception is facial plastics, where things are a little more difficult.

Members don't see this ad :)
Leforte said:
According to the latest data from the AAO-HNS Bulletin (Nov 2005) since 1998 there were 65 applicants for pediatric otolaryngology with 67 available positions over the last 6 years with a 103% match rate (page 50). You do not need to take time off for research to get a fellowship.

Leforte

Thanks for the info!

Leforte said:

Leforte

One more question ... FRIEDA only lists 5 peds oto programs. Is that right? How are ther 67 positions ... or is that total for 6 years ... like 5 places x 6 years = 67 positions.

Thanks.

TheThroat said:
FRIEDA list is not complete. There are more than 5 programs.
Do you have a complete list, or a link to one?

just curious.

I've heard about the relative difficulty of getting a Facial Plastics fellowship after your 5 year stent in ENT residency. How hard is that really...I've seen numbers around 75-85% getting into facial plastics.

Are these numbers relatively accurate, and what do graduating residents do if they don't get into the fellowship of their choice?
I'm asking specifically what do most do in the year or two between getting denied and then reapplying and hopefully getting their fellowship or just moving on with life?

DW3843 said:
just curious.

I've heard about the relative difficulty of getting a Facial Plastics fellowship after your 5 year stent in ENT residency. How hard is that really...I've seen numbers around 75-85% getting into facial plastics.

Are these numbers relatively accurate, and what do graduating residents do if they don't get into the fellowship of their choice?
I'm asking specifically what do most do in the year or two between getting denied and then reapplying and hopefully getting their fellowship or just moving on with life?

I don't know anyone who hasn't gotten into a FPRS fellowship after applying. In my opinion its all about connections.

TheThroat said:
...In my opinion its all about connections.

well isn't that a surpise.

But thanks for the reply (online sarcasm can sometimes be difficult to interpret).
I guess once you get to the level of a Facial Plastics spot a handful of connections have already been made, so I guess it's not too surprising that it becomes a who-you-know game. It is good to hear that it's something you can realistically get into as long as you're a decent candidate....unlike say Integrated Plastics or Derm straight out of med school.

thanks

are there different ENT facial plastic fellowships for those interested in facial trauma/clefts/craniofacial work in an academic setting as opposed to those interested in purely cosmetic work & hoping to go on in private practice? are these fellowships differentiated from each other or are they all simply called "Facial Plastics Fellowships". Thank you.

You have to know what the fellowships focus on, which is different from fellowship to fellowship. For example: the Toriumi fellowship in Chicago really focuses on the nose, in addition to other FPRS aspects.

I don't know of any FPRS fellowship that really focuses on trauma, but there are a few that focus on clefts/CF work. Many general plastics fellowships also have a focus on cleft work.