fellowship salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jkin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've noticed on some of the program websites that the Fellow salaries are very low. Some as low as 30000. Why is this? Is there more to the story?

Members don't see this ad.

jkin said:
I've noticed on some of the program websites that the Fellow salaries are very low. Some as low as 30000. Why is this? Is there more to the story?

remember that fellows can moonlight

Sledge2005 said:
remember that fellows can moonlight

Some can, but most of the retina fellowships I interviewed at expressly forbid moonlighting.

Most retina fellowships pay 30-40 K.
One I interviewed at paid 25 K & U Alabama pay 40 in 1st year & 65 K in 2nd year (The attendings there are not only awesome surgeons, but really nice guys too & very generous).
Some in Canada apparently pay nothing.

If anyone wants to do a great fellowship at the Royal Victorian Eye & Ear in Melbourne, I think they get paid ~ 50 K, & the retina fellows get to keep all the money they earn from surgical assisting private cases, which can add another 20 - 40 K per year depending on how hard you want to work.

Members don't see this ad :)
jkin said:

Most of the ophthalmology fellowships are not ACGME approved fellowships and do not receive Medicare funding like residencies. Because of this, the fellows can be paid nothing or as much as the program judges to be appropriate.

If Medicare stops funding residencies (billion dollar budget), then we may see the same for resident salaries.

Andrew_Doan said:
Most of the ophthalmology fellowships are not ACGME approved fellowships and do not receive Medicare funding like residencies. Because of this, the fellows can be paid nothing or as much as the program judges to be appropriate.

If Medicare stops funding residencies (billion dollar budget), then we may see the same for resident salaries.

I'd like to emphasize the NOTHING mentioned in Andrew's post. At the other end, some programs pay you as a PGY 5 (47-48k).

"I'd like to emphasize the NOTHING mentioned in Andrew's post."

Can you expand on this?

What seems to be the most common?

1. No pay
2. Decreased pay
3. PGY 5 type pay

jkin said:
What seems to be the most common?

1. No pay
2. Decreased pay
3. PGY 5 type pay

from what I've heard, #2 is far and away the most common. However, I haven't talked to all that many fellows.

$30,000 is the most prevalent pay for fellows...

Pretty bad, but consider it a worthwhile investment with great return...

Pay also varies from program to program. For instance, ocular pathology programs will pay the PGY-level equivalent, nothing, or 1/2 of the PGY-level equivalent. Because I'll be doing research next year along with ocular pathology, my income comes from a NIH training grant at Jules Stein.

Andrew_Doan said:
Pay also varies from program to program. For instance, ocular pathology programs will pay the PGY-level equivalent, nothing, or 1/2 of the PGY-level equivalent. Because I'll be doing research next year along with ocular pathology, my income comes from a NIH training grant at Jules Stein.

Not educated at all on this subject, but you wouldn't get any financial perk as a resident being a medical scientist would you?

shivalrous said:
Not educated at all on this subject, but you wouldn't get any financial perk as a resident being a medical scientist would you?

You could get grants for travel, computer, equipment, or research. Indirectly, you could get perks that are not considered to be "income".

"Indirectly, you could get perks that are not considered to be "income"."

Would you mind expanding on this one?

jkin said:
"Indirectly, you could get perks that are not considered to be "income"."

Would you mind expanding on this one?

Computer = $2000 (Equivaltent to ~$2500 income before taxes)
Travel to ARVO.
Travel to Academy.
Travel to Hawaii Eye Meeting.
Software to help with research.
Books to help with research.
Digital photography system to help with research.
Handheld computer to help with research.
Sometimes a small stipend is given to the applicant.

All of the things above can be purchased with a research grant. After the research, the individual may keep the computer, books, software, Palm pilot, etc... These are the perks.