Medical Fellowship resignation or probation likely. What do I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotAProgDirector

Pastafarians Unite!
Staff member
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am IMG radiology fellow I did my residency in non USA program and moved to USA two years ago. Trying to do the alternative pathway in radiology.
I am on my second year fellowship, FYI the first fellowship was in different hospital than I am in now which in very well known program and probably non IMG friendly. The first evaluation was bad and the PD told me that they will give me two months to figure out my weak points and put plan to improve them which I did and work very hard I had a few positive feedback during the last two months, last week I ask my PD what’s about the coming committee meeting and my evaluation she replied that she is still gathering the feedbacks but she her opinion That’s I do not fit to the program and encourage the resignation or else where she will put me in probation and scare me a lot about the result of probation. I am confused now what’s the right thing to do? My weak points are subjective and they even do not help me to put clear plan who to fix them and usually been told that I should not even do any mistake because I am fellow not a resident. Any advise is highly appreciated.
The person that needs to fix your problem is you, not someone else. The alt pathway in radiology is supposed to allow internationally trained radiologists ultimately work in the US. You're supposed to already be essentially fully trained and hence should not be "making mistakes".

Your best option is to work to improve your skills and stay in this program. If you resign, I highly doubt that another program will consider you for a similar spot, although if your evaluations from your first year were much better there would be some chance. Why did you not stay where you were being successful? Even if you try to stay, you're unlikely to succeed if they put you on probation.

There's no good answer here.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you are right the general radiologists are supposed to to be fully trained. However the fellowship is being found to take you to the perfect level, there is huge difference between reports of the general radiologist from the specialized radiologist.
I had kind evaluation comment how mentioned that the training cultures difference is the large factor in my struggle, which is true not only from where I am now and my residency also from the two US fellowship programs.

I was looking when I started my fellowship as the opportunity to learn and ask questions, not being afraid with every report I do.

I appreciate your reply and I am really in need advise to decide what's the best if the PD final decision will be either resignation or probation, my instinct goes with the probation but as you mentioned I am afraid the probation just the beginning way for the termination.
Probation is a huge warning you're on the path to termination. The question is whether you can fix the problems you have, to their satisfaction, in the timeline they allow.

Status
Not open for further replies.