Fellowship Chances post merger without Step 2 CK?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cgk

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As an Osteopathic student who took in addition to the COMLEX exams , USMLE Step 1 ( low score <215), what are my chances of matching into a fellowship in any IM subspecialty after IM without taking USMLE Step 2CK? I am projecting 3 to 4 yrs from now.
Opinions appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

nothing worthwhile...

Your step 1 score is terrible. You are a DO. You have no step 2 CK.

SOrry just being honest.

Maybe ID or nephrology or something...

ure definitely in a hole, but i wouldnt totally count urself out. depends on how good the rest of ur cv is and if u can leverage that to a unviersity/communiversity program.

if u end up at a straight community program without inhouse options, then i’d agree with the above poster. if u can wiggle ur way into a program with inhouse fellowships id say u have a shot at some of other IM fellowship options.

probably not cards/gi/hemeonc, but maybe a shot at pulm/cc and below

Members don't see this ad :)
ure definitely in a hole, but i wouldnt totally count urself out. depends on how good the rest of ur cv is and if u can leverage that to a unviersity/communiversity program.

if u end up at a straight community program without inhouse options, then i’d agree with the above poster. if u can wiggle ur way into a program with inhouse fellowships id say u have a shot at some of other IM fellowship options.

Pccm is pretty competitive

Yeah, if you look at the match data from last year PCCM had almost the exact same match % as cards. Where I did residency, the PCCM department would go all the way back to pre-clinical grades in their screening processes. And, I didn't train at any of the "big" programs either.....