fellowship- Card and GI and Hem/Onc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mossyfiber12

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was wondering if it matters where you do your medicine rotation from if you want to go into Card, GI or Hem/Onc. I have heard people say that if you work hard during your IM residency, then you will get your top choice in fellowship. I have also heard that you need to go to a reputable program for your IM residency to be recruited to a top fellowship program.

So what's the deal?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I was wondering if it matters where you do your medicine rotation from if you want to go into Card, GI or Hem/Onc. I have heard people say that if you work hard during your IM residency, then you will get your top choice in fellowship. I have also heard that you need to go to a reputable program for your IM residency to be recruited to a top fellowship program.

So what's the deal?

The main ways to increase your chances of getting the fellowship position of your choice are:
1) choose a residency program that is closely associated with that fellowship program
2) do well in residency, Step III, in-service exams etc
3) get yourself elected chief resident.