Fellowship application questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GVSULakers9456

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Was hoping to get some discussion going in terms of applying to fellowships as this is coming up in the next 4-5 months so I would like to maximize my chances! Couple questions I had:

When should I be asking attendings for rec letters? I know it can take some time so I would rather have them early than late. Is this done through ERAS like for residency or should I have them write one and give it to me (or my program coordinators) to keep until application time?

How do I start selecting programs? I am interested in neuro and would like to go to a place with high end cases in a big city. I'm sure most are good but any opinions on specific programs would be really helpful. I really don't know where to begin. I was going to go with the usual big names but I don't know anything about the programs and some have very little on their websites.

Do phone calls from faculty help if I want to go to a specific place? How early should I be doing thing - pre interview or after I have interviewed and hope to match? Do programs care about step or inservice scores? Mine are mediocre to bad but overall I have good feedback from attendings. Little bit of research but nothing heavy.

Thank you all for the help!

Members don't see this ad.