Feeling overwhelmed and I'm trying...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smitty3L

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
...to not get discouraged. I recently decided to not give up on med school after all. So I used to be on here around a year ago and now I'm back!

A little history (because I know that you are all so interested), first two years of college I basically slept through all of my classes as an engineering major and came out of it with a 3.0. Transferred schools and decided I would go to med school and changed my major to zoo. I had a 4.0 for two semesters but got discouraged after my advisor didn't give me the best outlook. So I gave up and applied to a nuclear medicine bachelors program at my school. Well, I started that program this August and I'm sooo bored. My physics prof spent a couple of hours talking to me. He used to be a nuc med tech and told me that it's an easy job, not bad pay, but that I could do a lot more and it would be a snooze for me.

Soooo, long story short. I will graduate from the nuc med program in July of 2005 and I will have a 3.4 cum GPA and I've just got to take the shot at getting into med school. Although I think I will have to wait for the 2006 class.

I guess I just wanted to say hello to everyone and introduce myself. So "Hello!"

Members don't see this ad.

yeah, you should definitely go for it. the nuc medicine should be a plus since it will make you stand out from the rest of the crowd. just throw yourself into medicine as soon as you can. volunteer work, research, etc. you've taken the first and most important step imo, which is setting your mind to it. rest is up to you.........

It sounds like you don't know what you want to do with your life. At the very least, volunteer in a hospital and with sick people. Maybe take some personality tests, maybe interview people in various careers. You may even need to work for a while.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Smitty3L
...to not get discouraged. I recently decided to not give up on med school after all. So I used to be on here around a year ago and now I'm back!

A little history (because I know that you are all so interested), first two years of college I basically slept through all of my classes as an engineering major and came out of it with a 3.0. Transferred schools and decided I would go to med school and changed my major to zoo. I had a 4.0 for two semesters but got discouraged after my advisor didn't give me the best outlook. So I gave up and applied to a nuclear medicine bachelors program at my school. Well, I started that program this August and I'm sooo bored. My physics prof spent a couple of hours talking to me. He used to be a nuc med tech and told me that it's an easy job, not bad pay, but that I could do a lot more and it would be a snooze for me.

Soooo, long story short. I will graduate from the nuc med program in July of 2005 and I will have a 3.4 cum GPA and I've just got to take the shot at getting into med school. Although I think I will have to wait for the 2006 class.

I guess I just wanted to say hello to everyone and introduce myself. So "Hello!"

Pick up a double major if you're that bored. Something in the humanities or any other interest you might have would be a great idea. Once you're in med school, you don't have much flexibility on what to study.

It's your decision, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to work as a nuc med tech while preparing to apply to med school. They make pretty good money (over $20 an hour around herre) and you'd get excellent clinical exposure. Good luck!

Hey, its a small world! My cousin (and neighbor) just started nuc med school at OU this august too. Good luck with all Smitty!

Well I have known for quite a while now that I want to be a doctor, and if that isn't in the cards I'm thinking about the medical physics program at OU.

The bachelor's degree that I am getting is a program at my school's health science center, I can't really take on another major. Although it would be really nice to take up my time, boost my GPA some more, and give me a broader background.

Hey, king robert, who is your cousin? There are only 14 of us so I'm sure that I know them.