This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhatsurdilEMMA

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting on the forum even though I've been a long-time reader, so please forgive me if I unknowingly break any forum rules. I could really use some advice on my particular circumstances and where to go from hear. Thank you in advance for reading my story:

I am going into my senior year at a university in my hometown in the southeastern US. I've wanted to be pursue medicine since high school, but only really got a sense of what that meant in college. I went to a local two-year college first, where I completed some pre-med coursework, and then transferred to my local university. Things haven't exactly been going downhill from there, but they haven't been great either.

I have a 3.5 cGPA, and I'm not too sure about my sGPA (B's in chem, B in orgo 1, B- in orgo 2, C+ in physics 1, B in physics 2, A's in bio 1&2, B+ in biochem). The problem is, my extracurriculars are underwhelming and I don't feel particularly inspired as I'm writing my personal statement. I've volunteered at my local hospital 200+ hours since freshman year, and I had some leadership roles at my two-year college. At my university, I'm still volunteering in the hospital, and I have an internship in the infection control department where I'm working on research projects with that team of physicians and nurses. I also did 50+ hours of physician shadowing this summer, as part of a course. I know this doesn't seem like a lot for an almost-senior to have.

Incidentally, I'm also a week out from taking the MCAT for the first time, although I'm seriously thinking about rescheduling due to pure panic over my perfectly average AAMC FL 1 score (502). Some thoughts on this topic would be appreciated. I only started hardcore studying at the beginning of summer and with an Aug 19th test date, I just don't think I can make this a single-run test. I'm quickly approaching my Bronze zone deadline, so any advice would be wonderful, as I know it's a big financial loss (I'm still working on how to break the news to my mother, whose money went to helping me enroll in a prep course and register for the test :()

I recognize the inadequacies in my application: underwhelming extracurricular with little to no shock value for a personal statement, average GPA, likely a low sGPA, and heading towards a 50th percentile MCAT. As a student of a prominent research institution, I'm kicking myself for not having gotten involved in research earlier, especially because I think I could enjoy the MD/PhD route. My question is: what should I do next? I just feel lately like I'm in a free-fall towards graduation and that I'm going to be leaving undergrad without being able to prove to others both why I want to be a physician and that I do indeed have what it takes.

I am giving SMP programs a look (already somewhat in love with BU, Georgetown, and Tufts' programs). Would these be a good option given my average GPA and research interest? I'm especially interested in BU since they have a research thesis year as part of their program and I want to learn more about having a career in medicine and research. If I do decide to go for one of these programs, should I still cancel my MCAT and plan to take it in December/January?

If you've gotten this far, thank you. I've been feeling so lost lately as I move towards graduation and I could just really use some advice from some people who have gone through this/felt this way at one point.

Members don't see this ad.

1. Reschedule your MCAT immediately. Absolutely not to take MCAT at this stage.
2. You don't absolutely need research for you to get into medical school.
3. Volunteer and clinical experiences are extremely important, so do good recommendation letters. Research mostly can help you with a recommendation letter and usually that's all about it if you are not aiming at top tier research-heavy schools.

Reactions: 3 users
I agree that you should resechedule your MCAT. AAMC FL1 is generally regarded as easier than FL2 and the real exam. Before you have a score within a few points of your desired score on the AAMC FL exams, I would wait.

No research for MD/PhD is a death sentence. However, no research for MD is roughly equal to (but less than) the equivalent to no clinical experience - won’t kill your application at many (if not most) places, but certainly will do you no favors.

Take some upper-level electives and see if you can’t up your sGPA a little.

I think you certainly still have a chance without an SMP or other postgraduate work.

DISCLAIMER: I’m a current applicant and, while I believe I have a reasonable idea on what I’m talking about, there are others on here that probably know more than me.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, you should reschedule, but there aren't many dates left. Isn't the last one in early Sept? I don't know if it's possible to reschedule a date for 2018 because I don't think those dates have been announced.

At a minimum, moving to that last date will give you a few more weeks to prepare, so use the time wisely.

I think you should go to a do school over smp if it came to it. Most smps don't offer any guarantee for allopathic schools. And you wouldn't have to waste a year.

Take mcat when you're ready. If you don't do as well as you want do isn't a bad option

Yes, you should reschedule, but there aren't many dates left. Isn't the last one in early Sept? I don't know if it's possible to reschedule a date for 2018 because I don't think those dates have been announced.

At a minimum, moving to that last date will give you a few more weeks to prepare, so use the time wisely.

Hi, yes I likely would actually 'cancel' rather than 'reschedule.' I'm leaning more towards a gap year filled with a good research experience to strengthen my app and study harder for the MCAT. Thanks for your advice :)

Reactions: 1 users
Your GPA is fine.
Take your MCAT and score well (DO 505-510, MD+DO 507-511, MD 512+, MD/PhD 515+).
The MD PhD candidates are held to a much higher standard for the MCAT.
Finally, you need very strong research experience, that usually, but not always, means extensive time in a lab (2 years in UG is the minimum I personally know that got admitted). Most students spend 1 to 2 years after UG at the NIH or a top tier lab at a research powerhouse to boost their CV and get themselves all setup for the MD PhD. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
Your GPA is fine.
Take your MCAT and score well (DO 505-510, MD+DO 507-511, MD 512+, MD/PhD 515+).
The MD PhD candidates are held to a much higher standard for the MCAT.
Finally, you need very strong research experience, that usually, but not always, means extensive time in a lab (2 years in UG is the minimum I personally know that got admitted). Most students spend 1 to 2 years after UG at the NIH or a top tier lab at a research powerhouse to boost their CV and get themselves all setup for the MD PhD. Good luck.

Thanks for your feedback! I actually didn't even know that people were going to the NIH after UG to make themselves look better for MD/PhD. Is this an opportunity that's really hard to get? I am currently at a university that is primarily considered a research institution, and I don't think it would be too difficult to get a job here after graduation - my advisor frequently sends out job and internship opportunities for graduating seniors. I'm also open to my gap year extending to gap two years - especially if that means increasing my chances at MD/PhD and having more time to study for a 515+ on the MCAT. Thanks so much! You've given me a lot to think about.

Thanks for your feedback! I actually didn't even know that people were going to the NIH after UG to make themselves look better for MD/PhD. Is this an opportunity that's really hard to get? I am currently at a university that is primarily considered a research institution, and I don't think it would be too difficult to get a job here after graduation - my advisor frequently sends out job and internship opportunities for graduating seniors. I'm also open to my gap year extending to gap two years - especially if that means increasing my chances at MD/PhD and having more time to study for a 515+ on the MCAT. Thanks so much! You've given me a lot to think about.
You'll find some great advice here, in the SDN Physician-Scientist Forum.

Its extremely common to spend 2 years post undergrad at the NIH or a top-tier research powerhouse university. The NIH is actually semi-selective with who they will take. If you've done research at a top university as you've stated, a strong LoR from your current lab mentor will be enough to get you to the NIH in a lab with great funding and resources. However, it may not be easy to get a paid position at the NIH; the labs there are so state of the art, they could easily charge students for the honor and privilege of working at the NIH, so I wouldn't get my hopes up about a paid position there!