Feeling incompetent in PT school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kinesio19

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a second semester student in DPT program and I've been doing okay so far. A mixture of As and Bs and I haven't had to remediate anything yet when a lot of my classmates have. In my program everything you do must be an 80 or above or it has to be retaken (one chance per exam/assignment). The thing I am really struggling with are practicals. I have barely passed my last two practicals, and today my instructor told me that he is not going to be as lenient in the future. Even though I didn't fail the practical I was basically given a warning that I'm cutting it close. I feel like I practice well and understand the material, but I get extremely nervous and I am shy as it is. Even when I get the 'nicer' instructors I am still intimidated, and we have one instructor that will pretty much berate you and grill you the entire time. What can I do to be more confident and competent in PT school? I want to just grow a pair and be confident, ask questions and learn. But sometimes I feel like the instructors think I'm not going to be a good PT or I will fail out of my first clinical. I recognize that I am probably blowing it up. But seriously, should I quit? Am I being too sensitive? Has anyone else ever felt this way?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Kinesio19,

definitely don't quit. Practicals are always super nerve racking! now don't get me wrong some people love them an do amazing on them, but everyone is different. You are only in you're second semester, you will grow. Tests and practicals will get harder , but you will be more seasoned as time goes on. Clinical rotations are different because although you have a CI grading and mentoring you, chances are it is not going to be as intense as the testing in PT school. We had a saying at our school by one of our professors "just keep swimming". so chin up!! keep at it , you will get more comfortable.. and always practice , practice, practice!

take care.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, don't quit. Most people have similar thoughts when first starting PT school.

You should really be speaking with your professors, though. They've likely taught the class before, and they'll be able to give you much more helpful suggestions and ways to improve in the future. Set up some office hours to get one-on-one help. They're professors because they want to teach, so don't be afraid to ask for help! Practicals get a lot less nerve-wracking over time, I promise.

Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're practicing enough, your anxiety would be greatly reduced. Put in twice the time and effort and compare the results.

Once you've completed your first clinical you will realize how ridiculously unlike real life with a real pt practicals are.

Most of my classmates agree that treating real pts independently was less nerve-racking than some silly practicals. Study hard, get through them and check the boxes, and realize that your performance on practicals has very little to reliably reflect how you will perform in a real clinic.

You create all the anxiety, the professors don't. It's like public speaking. You're creating a threat that doesn't really exist. Your professors want you to do well and they hate to see students struggle. Break each skill into steps and then repeat the steps over and over. Take advantage of every minute the labs are open and practice. What else do you have to do?

Treating patients in real life is much more relaxing. You can actually talk and build a relationship. You're not worried about earning all your points.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with what most people here have said.

I'd like to add that you should go meet with your advisor, or the individual profs who have a practical coming up, and go over better study strategies moving forward. It doesn't sound like you are slacking off, but you just might not be preparing in the most efficient way possible. Can't hurt.

Thanks all for your help. I have been working on being more confident and trying to talk to the faculty a little more. I am going to be extra prepared for our next practical exam. Tomorrow I have my first day in the clinic alone with a patient; wish me luck!