feeling ill?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pandabear

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off, I would like to say that I'm very glad that I found this website. It is very helpful as many people have responded to my concerns and never ending questions.
BUT--- This whole process, mcats, applications,which classes to take, which not to take, volunteering, grades,what will admissions think....It's literally making me sick to my stomach! Why do I have to prove myself to some school? There are soooo many little details to think about and I'm starting to wonder if it's all really worth it! Does anyone else feel like this?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, it is worth it. Although the path has many flaws, the journey is one of the most challenging and most rewarding that there is. Doctors are not made by jumping through hoops, but that is exactly part of the path. I think it is great that you have that question, Why do I have to prove myself to some school? I dont know if your answer is the same as mine, but I say you dont. If you live your life going from person to person or group to group trying to prove this and prove that you are missing out on the journey. Live your life, its the only one you have, take the challenge and it will reflect in everything you do. If an admissions committy cannot see the truth then it is their blindness not lack of anything by you. Do well.

Hi Pandabear,

I couldn't agree more with the advice you've received from "Enjoyyourshoes." However, I do sympathize with your feelings and concerns about the seemingly endless list of things to plan and think about. The logistics of when to take the mcat, how to prepare for it, etc. will become second nature to you once you start doing it, but as the previous poster said, don't get in the mind set that you have to prove yourself to adcoms. If you do this, everything you do will be for the sake of adcoms and you really don't want to spend your precious college years worrying and trying to do what will please adcoms. It's much more important for you to explore what you're excited about. In the end, it is your passion for what you have done that will set you apart from other applicants.

Best of luck to you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just wanted to say thank you to "enjoyyourshoes" and nicolette for your uplifting comments. It's comforting to know that there are other people out there who are going through, or went through the same thing I'm going through now. Thank you for helping me put things into perspective and make some sense out of this seemingly never ending process!

[This message has been edited by pandabear (edited 04-20-2000).]

hi pandabear, just hang in there....i'm almost through with the whole admissions process (i hope) and i am so harried, all i can think of is going on a cruise and just letting go. i'm one of those students who started off on the wrong foot in college and had to make up for it, on top mcats, rec's, amcas, etc. etc. i know it can be so overwhelming, and believe me it made me sick too (but not sick to my stomach like you, i tend to eat lots of ice cream and snacks when i get nervous!) but when it looks bad just realize that it can't ever be that bad, everyone gets a second chance and what med schools look for most of all is sincerity and perserverence......okay?